“Sewerage issues” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Ballina, Australia
“Sewerage issues”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

We arrived and promptly we shown our room, up 3 very steep steps of 40 odd steps, then an old lift that worked some times, so if it didnt we had towalk another 3 flights of steps. Day Two the toilet would not flush, we had staff fix it, then day 3 same thing, so we told reception that we were going out to dina and have it fixed while we were away, came back 3 hours later and the smell of sewerage stunk us out and then 3 hours for them to fix the problem, that day they went crook at me for having the balcony door open, I was gagging at the stink and wanted to sit on the balcony, at 11 pm they had it unblocked, but the cleaning staff was off duty so I had to end up cleaning it myself. We also got them to fix the TV that came off the ark, they did by belting it on the side. Day 4 same thing happened, we demanded another room. They told my husband that he didnt know how to flush the toilet so it would not block.
So the knew room had a better view, but we had to walk another 44 steep steps and use another lift up 3 flights of stairs, this lift was always working, thank God as I could not have walked up many more steps. No toilet issues, but the TV in this room had sound issues- worked, then didnt for the next hour then would work. ALso every morning the power stopped working for about an hour.
We spent most of the time across the road on the beach, awesome beach as we didnt use the pool as I realised that there was no filter working. We accidentally used a bottle of water from the bar fridge, so we went across the road and purchased the exact same bottle and replaced it, but we were issued with a bill as the resort uses a DYMO label maker and writes the name of the resort and puts it on all product in the fridge, the head of the housekeeping rang me on the phone and was so rude to me, totally rude. Management is rude and staff is also. Dont ask for late checkout, it is plain in their ads, and their own resort book they leave in your room, but ask for it and the response is a flat NO, we dont do late checkout. The whole resort is tired looking and needs some TLC and knew staff, but you get what you pay for I guess. Love Phucket and have been there many times, but dont use this resort. Not for the elderly or those with prams. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

For those guests that find steps difficult think hard before booking this hotel! Just getting up to the hotel lobby there are many steps to negotiate. The hotel is built on many levels and there is only a lift from the second floor to the fourth. To get from the lobby to the second floor there are many steep steps to negotiate which can be very hard when the temperature is very warm!

This hotel is situated on the quiet end of Kata beach so there is no problem with noise.

We arrived at the hotel after a long flight from the UK and were told that our room was not ready. They tried to give us a garden room when we had upgraded our room as it was our Ruby wedding anniversary. We had to wait until our room was ready in the Lobby of the hotel. After a long flight to Thailand it was not what you expected to hear!

However the room that we were given had a lovely view over the sea.It was very clean and tidy and the house keeping was excellent! We had clean bed linen and towels every day! However the decor is a little tired and needs updating! The beds are very hard and uncomfortable!!!

The staff at this hotel are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble!

We booked this hotel on a half board basis. Beware!!! Half board is not really half board. They allow you 400thai bhats for your evening meal which barely covers the cost of your meal let alone drinks. The hotel runs theme nights so you have to pay extra for those nights. The breakfasts are good but the food in the evenings is terrible and very greasy!

Room Tip: Think of your fitness level! Climbing these steps are very difficult!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I made my reservation with this place 6 months before arriving. I was very specific in my request and confirmed it several times via email before arriving.
I had even my pickup arranged by the hotel so naturally I assumed that they were well aware of the time we were to be arriving at the hotel.
On arriving though.......the staff told us that the people who were meant to check out of our room would not leave and they could not give us our room. Quite frankly, this was not my problem. We had travelled for a long time to get there and by this stage we were very tired and just wanted to sleep. They made us wait in the foyer for 2 hours before then telling us they still had not sorted the problem out, meanwhile our luggage was still sitting in the middle of the driveway and no one seemed to want to move it. We ended up going for lunch and came back at 2pm and told them if they hadnt sorted out the issue then we would be leaving. Returned at 2pm to find they had forgotten about sorting out our reservation and we were still without a room.
Turns out they didnt want to show us other rooms available until we started getting quite vocal and angry.
We FINALLY got a room 5 hours later, and as magical as it was, that first day, it was very hard to enjoy because of the way the staff behaved.
If they had any brains, they would never had admitted to the mix up and gave us one of the alternative rooms right away instead of being sneaky about it all.
Cleaning staff I found to be overly eager to clean our room. There were some days where we would want to sleep in or have an afternoon nap and they would keep knocking on our door to clean the room, regardless of whether or not the DND sign was there. Very rude and disrupting.
Breakfast, the standard asian hotel stuff, pretty average and full of grumpy europeans who are hell bent on never making eye contact or smiling at anyone.
Was told there was a fitness room and it was one of the reasons we chose that particular hotel. Turns out there isn't one.
Loved the rooms and loved the view...........the staff just need to get their act together and realise who is working for who.
If I had my time again, I would pay a little bit extra and go elsewhere.
Pool with the waterfall is gorgeous however and its in a great location, walking distance from beach and laundromat.
This is my 5th time to Phuket and the worst place I've stayed at thanks to the service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank natandbrad
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful grounds and lovely pool. We didn't use the gym or pool tables, so can't comment. Breakfast was good with lot's of choices. The front desk staff was very helpful with trip planning and checking in. One morning we had to leave early and they packed us breakfast. As you have probably read, there are a lot of stairs between elevators to certain rooms... But that is how you get the amazing view. It wasn't a problem for us as we are young and fit (I like to think). One major PLUS was a bath tub and unlimited HOT water!!! This is actually hard to come by I realized in Thailand. This was the only place we booked that had a bathtub and really hot water. It was really nice. The poolside cocktails were a little pricey but they have happy hour. Across the road is a beach with some restaurants and a funky bar. I would definitely return. Coming here was a great escape from Patong!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
How delighted we are to learn that you had wonderful stay with us. Thank you very much for your review. We all are looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Jimmy R
Customer Relation Manager
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed at this place end February 2012. I had just check ahead some names of hotels at Kata beach, before taking my plane. At the airport I checked some of thoses hotels and could negociate quite well the price for 2 nights. Once arrived at the hotel, nice reception, good room in the front building and small view on the beach, so very happy.
During the night a storm came over and suddenly I heard a big explosion, sleeping and got quite scared. I called the reception to know what happened as I had no more electricity, thus no aircon either, they told me it would be back in 10 minutes. After falling asleep, a second explosion occured and again I called the reception, this time no answer and heared a generator working, as it was just next to my room, I could sleep from 1am, first explosion till the morning.
In the morning I asked to be relocated in the hotel, what was done in the afternoon to a quiet room with great view on the beach and received also a compensation for the night, as you are there for holiday!

The hotel facilities are good, nice pools, good breakfast, just not that easy to find your way and for elder people it can be challeging as there are not that much elevators and many stairs!
Just also, It is not a stared hotel, service is good, just be patient as the staff doesn't speak very well english!
Recommend it if you don't want to stay in Patong and have a higher budget.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank valevh
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear sir,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to learn that you had a plesant stay with us. Please note that the electricity blacked out on your mentioned period as there was inconvenience caused from the main Electricity system of Kata City. However every was sorted out within the following day. We do apologise for any inconvenience that has caused to you stay.

We wish to have a chance to welcome you back in the near future

Jimmy R
Customer Relation Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Lovely fully equipped hotel close to beautiful quiet kata beach. Food was great-room service was quick and delicious. Lots of stairs to our room although they have lifts.
Rooms were large and presented well. Loved the staff as they were very attentive and made out stay a pleasure. The hotel has two pools with swim up bars. Very good value for money and would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Tones78
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us. We wish to have a chance to welcome you back.
" At Tropical Garden Resort, we care"

Yours
Jimmy Customer relation Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Spent 10 days at the tropical garden resort while visiting with family that were staying at the north end of Kata beach. Found the hotel to be god value for money, the breakfast is varied and plentiful for those with big appetites , lots of eggs, fruit and yoghurt. The access to the beach is excellent, just across the street. And down a short lane. The 3 restaurants on the beach at that end are great, and away from all the traffic on the strip. At the other end of the beach you have to walk down this very smelly access way along a canal to get to the beach, not good! The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, a lot of stairs to climb tho, we were in building 4 at the top, great view, and very quiet. Some of the stairwells and ramps could use a power wash, but it is 3 star.
I would stay here again if I were to return to kata. Walk down the beach a ways to get your chair, more room and not so crowded.

Room Tip: High up to get view if you don't mind some stairs.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bcbikeboy
muek, Manager at Chanalai Garden Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
It is delighted to learn that you had good stay with us. Thank you very much for your review.We all are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon

Jimmy CRM
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,007 reviews

Been to Chanalai Garden Resort? Share your experiences!