“Apparent lack of sensitivity for marine environment”

Dive Asia - Day Trips and PADI Courses
Ranked #3 of 13 Tours in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star CDC with all levels of scuba diving courses and trips. We provide the best diving experience possible from Beginner to Expert diver. All our diving is guided by local experts showing you the abundance of marine live available around Phuket.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We very recently joined a trip to Raja Yai - and were dissappointed to see mebers of the ship's crew throw food garbage overboard into the sea. Not only is this contrary to the UN's MARPOL guidelines but shows a disregard for the marine environment. The wonderful eco-systems around Phuket are severely stressed by the volume of tourists. One expects that tour-operators demonstrate a sensitivity to this issue.
Having registered this concern, the crew were friendly and the facilities on-board were good, with proper safety briefings

Benno B, Manager at Dive Asia - Day Trips and PADI Courses, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dive Asia always was and is a environmentally friendly company with clear rules in place preventing anything from going over board following UN's MARPOL guidelines.

Unfortunately clear rules and out rite orders do not always work and it will take a generation of educating the local people to raise there awareness where they understand that "yes, the Fish love the left over rice" but "No, you can not give it to them because it will hurt them in the long run". We apologize if any of our boat crew broke the rules and promise to address the problem immediately to prevent this from happening again.

There are newer reviews for Dive Asia - Day Trips and PADI Courses

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Here's a dirty little secret about diving in Thailand: near-shore diving in Phuket is not the best you'll find. The best sites are an hour or more by boat, water visibility can't compare to the Caribbean, the reefs are pretty degraded and local fishermen have taken just about everything bigger than a foot or two. All that said, you're diving in Thailand. You'll see lots of moray eels, probably some sea snakes and rays, and maybe a leopard shark. It's awesome. And Dive Asia endeavors to make the above-water experience nearly match the underwater one.

We went on four trips with them over 10 days and never had a bad experience. The daytrip fee (3400 to 3900 THB as of this writing) compares pretty well to other local operators. Included is transportation to and from your hotel. Also included is lunch and dinner (for three-dive trips), meals which deserve a review of their own: the food was some of the best I ate in all of Phuket. The dive boat is a cattle barge -- you'll be sharing space with 20, 30 or more divers, on the most crowded days -- but my observation is that all the local operators work that way, and most of the other boats we saw did not look as comfortable or capable. Even with many divers and snorkelers aboard, there's plenty of room to spread out on the boat's two decks. The dives themselves are run with military-like efficiency and precision, mitigating any problems crowding might cause.

Dive Asia's guides are great. From what I could tell, most speak at least passable English in addition to other languages (the operator is especially German-friendly) and they're all excellent spotters. Most of them also appeared to double as instructors. My wife completed her certification during our first two days of diving, and I have to single out her instructor, Declef, who couldn't have been more patient and friendly. I hope I didn't misspell his name.

In short: they're the biggest and most visible dive operator in the Kata area for a reason. Use them.

1  Thank AlexW74
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We did 10 dives on 4 days with them. Small groups, take care of beginners, know the place and have a fantastic boat. Food on board was even better as in some restaurants. Good value for money. Very responsible, a lot of fun and make sure you see a lot.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had time to go only for one diving trip with Dive Asia on Phi Phi Island but those 3 dives were the best we have had so far in our diving experience ( 51 dives logged). All about Dive Asia is awesome - starting from prompt replies on emails, welcoming in their center, good and new equipment, small groups while diving and most of all super friendly staff. The briefings were very thorough, Mike our guide spent lot of time with us just socializing, chatting and sharing with us his diving experience. Dive Asia boat was the only one which ask us for any special diets - my husband is vegetarian so he did appreciate the effort of at least one veggie dish, as normally they serve only meat. In overall, the atmosphere on the boat was very relaxing, everyone was chilled out and enjoyed the dive sites - no rush, no stress, no attitude, no competition as you can experience on some boats (not in Thailand though). Thank you Dive Asia for an amazing day!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

When I stayed in Phuket a couple of years ago, I wanted to get my scuba certification and looked around for the best prices. I checked in Chalong, Rawai, Kata, Karon, Patong, etc. Dive Asia had the best deal. It had one of the lowest prices and offered me 6 open water dives during the course (others offered 4 or 5) and all the dives would be in the islands away from Phuket (others offered the dives at Kata Beach or Rawai).
The first two days of instruction were at Dive Asia's school in Kata. It is a very nice place with a special pool, classrooms and even a cafeteria. The last two days were on one of Dive Asia's boats. It was a two-story big boat with everything a diver could need (very good meals and beverages included). The first day we went to the islands in the south of Phuket (Racha Yai and Racha Noi) and on the second day we went all the way to Phi Phi and dove around there (one of the dives outside "the beach" seen in DiCaprio's famous film).
The instructors were great; very knowledgeable and dedicated.
I really felt it was money well spent. I got certified, saw beautiful places and made friends.
I have continued to train and I am now a Rescue Diver. I can say without a doubt that Dive Asia is one of the best diving schools in the world.

2  Thank patrickce