“Great value”
Review of The Color Kata

The Color Kata
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked the color kata because it was one of the cheaper hotels in Kata that had decent ratings on tripadvior. Overall, I thought it was a good value with the room being quite clean, quiet, and nice surroundings. Also, the breakfast was pretty decent with milk, cereal, fresh fruit, and eggs. Only complaint from the room was the tiny vertical window that faced a hallway. Also, the beach was further than it appears on the map since you have to go around the club med.

Beware of expensive taxis on Phuket. Cost me 1000 baht to get to the airport each way. When I landed at 2AM, since the taxi stand was closed at that hour, most drivers were asking for a totally crazy 3000 baht to kata! I manged to bargain that down to 1000.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed there one night in February 2013. First, the hotel lobby is very beautiful. The room is very modern and clean.
We ate at the restaurant and the food was really good. The Kata beach, which is very beautiful, is only a 5 minutes walk away. Lots of good restaurants and boutiques near.
I totally would recommend it and go back again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Room was alto smaller then picture felt very Closterfobic..Bathroom water leaks through the floors..no privacy when showering or on toilet..
Room service Resturant manager was very rude not polite..You must have cash on you at all times in this hotel to order room service(what a joke why even offer room service and charge the high rates when you can not charge the bill to your room and pay when convenient)??They should inform you that is it cash only or just not offer room service..
The reception staff of the hotel are very friendly and go out of there way to help you..the hotel is kept clean and tidy..

For what you pay is ok but there is more variety out there rooms with windows,swimming pools and room service with friendly staff in all departments..

Overall will not be revisiting and not be recommending this hotel and the Resturant across the road..

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at The Color Kata for one night because of the cheap price and nice pictures of the room which seemed like a good bargain. I found it very difficult to review this hotel because I was greatly disappointed from what I had come to expect from all the pictures and descriptions of the hotel but i am still not sure if you could find another hotel better than this at this price range.

Pros:
- Free Wifi
- Very convenient location
- Computer in room
- TV has many channels
- Colorful and uniquely designed rooms

Cons:
- One of the most uncomfortable showers I've ever had (literally only drips of water, weak)
- Clogged sink
- Poorly trained service staff
- Pictures are definitely nicer than the actual room and hotel
- Misleading "in-room sound system" from the room description
- Breakfast was just cereal and toast
- Stuffy (slightly smelly) rooms due to windows that are difficult or cannot be opened.
- Poor lighting in room (made it hard to kill mosquitos)
- Had to drop off room keys with the reception every time I wanted to leave the hotel

Rooms and Facilities
The room layout and design is very unique and contemporary that much is true. However, pictures can be misleading and in this case, very true as well. Not to say that the room isn't nice because it is but when you take a step forward, you see all the wasted potential due to the missing details and the wear and tear.

What I mean by wasted potential is for example having a beautifully designed room which is stuffy and smelly because the windows are difficult to open and looks out to another building's ugly roof so you end up noticing the smell more than the decor. As well, a few mosquitos got in the room and I couldn't see and catch them because of the poor lighting which resulted in quite a few mosquito bites. To make sure I had a mosquito free sleep, I had to turn the air conditioner very low.

Also another wasted potential is having a pretty uniquely designed bathroom with a rain shower, which is rare for hotels to have under 1000 baht per night, but the water is so weak that it literally is dripping on you and takes ten minutes to take the most basic quick shower. As well, the hot water would take literally five to ten minutes to actually warm up. The worst part is having to go home to a really uncomfortable shower after being dirty and sandy at the beach all day. I would have used the sink and splashed water on myself to take a faster shower and get out of there but it was clogged and rather disgusting (pictures on the bottom). Most people would have requested a room change and I would have as well but you'll understand why I didn't once you read about the service in the next section.

Good things about the room include the TV complete with many channels, the computer which can be handy and the complimentary wifi and free bottled water which is actually pretty standard nowadays. The room description includes an "In-room sound system, connectable with iPhone, iPad or any portable music player." This isn't a lie and is very much true but seeing this got me excited and thinking that it was actually somewhat of a sound system with an iPhone dock or something but ended up simply being the computer speakers... which you had to unplug yourself from the back of the computer. You can imagine my disappointment. Again, this isn't a lie but they just stretched the truth a bit too far which is fitting because it seemed the same with the rest of the hotel.

The service wasn't great. This was not the person's fault but the lack of training from the management because it was obvious there was none. Having booked a room online from latestays.com, I arrived at the hotel and as usual gave them my identification. The front desk receptionist smiled and was friendly but unlike all the other hotels I stayed at, she said I must give them a hotel voucher even though they literally had a hard copy themselves right in front of me. Although I wanted to rush to the beach, it wasn't a big deal so I told them I'd forward it to their email once I got in my room. During check in, I asked if I could check out some of the rooms because they were all designed differently. She smiled awkwardly and to my surprise, she actually said I prefer not to because its in the computer already. But hey, she said it in a nice way with a smile at least.

Once check in was complete, she brought me up to my room on the second floor and I noticed the smell before I actually got to the room. Anyways, seeing as how it was obvious the hotel was not full and I didn't think that I was going to be assigned a room in the back corner, I asked if I could get a room upstairs facing the street. Again, she looked at me awkwardly and acted like she just really didn't want to and it seemed like it was gonna be such a hassle. She told me that its really noisy facing the street and asked if I would mind and I said I didn't but she gave me the awkward face again so I just said its ok and I thought I would suck it up for a night.

She showed me the room and told me that I had to leave the room keys with the reception every time I left the hotel which was kind of inconvenient. Despite all the troubles I've had with the service, they gave me a free late checkout time at 2 o'clock which I appreciate because my flight wasn't until 6. The service staff was not bad and were actually nice but it just seemed as though they did not have service knowledge and didn't know what it was to provide good service which is really the managements fault.

Location
Best thing about this hotel is its location being the middle of kata. The beach, restaurants, bars, convenient stores and everything else is at most just a 10-15 minute walk away.

Conclusion
I really want to write good things about this hotel because it has every potential to be great but truth of the matter is I did not have a pleasant stay. Maybe I was just unlucky or because prior to my stay at the Color Kata, I was very satisfied with the other four hotels I stayed in.

Every problem I encountered at this hotel could be easily addressed and inexpensively as long as the management and staff were a bit more attentive. Things such as minor paint jobs and fixes to to repair some wear and tear, changing the lightbulbs from white to yellow would make a big difference, having the housekeeping staff check the showers before assigning the room, get rid of the smell by allowing the windows to be more user friendly or invest in some air freshener. As well, you may say all hotels have nice, maybe slightly misleading, pictures but stretching the truth too much will just bring disappointment. Most importantly, train the staff to know what it is to provide customer satisfaction and exceeding expectations. A smile is important but not always enough. P.S. Be a little more generous with the breakfast

As I said, it was very hard to review this hotel because even though I had an unpleasant stay, I'm still not sure if there is something better than this at this price range. However, If I could only spend this little I still would not come back. Apart from the late checkout, every part of my stay was disappointing even if it was at a great value. My recommendation: If you have to stay in Kata and can spend a little more, then I would recommend that you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Vince L
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I checked in for just one night at the hotel and was pleased to find a really comfortable room with all the facilities you would expect, plus there was a computer in the room which was really convenient. However, the set up on the bathroom was a little weird - glass fronted shower and toilet directly opposite the bed, I was traveling on my own but wouldn't have been very pleased to experience that if I was sharing!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for seven days from the 13th to the 20th April and can only say that I had a great time. The staff are truly excellent, their eagerness to help was very much appreciated by this traveller. Free WiFi, not that you need it as all rooms have their own excellent broadband internet connected computer/TV with eighty channels catering to most languages encountered in Phuket.
The hotel is clean and in a quiet location yet still within walking distance to all major amenities, including the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors avoid most of the street noise.