“outstanding,brilliant,want to go back!!!!”

Baannueng@Kata (The Kata Orient House)
Ranked #13 of 61 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
Denbigh, United Kingdom
“outstanding,brilliant,want to go back!!!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks and I cannot praise it enough. We had to move room once but we didnt mind as they upgraded us. The bed was huge and comfy and the rooms were large,airy and light. They were not so much cleaned daily as redecorated,they even cleaned the windows. The air con was really efficient which was great as it was so hot. The bathroom had a power shower and lots of big fluffy towels and toiletries. The tv had great movies and lots of channels for everyone, also the hotel provided lots of free bottled water and a well stocked mini bar which was reasonably priced. The restaurant was so friendly with lots of choice, they even catered for my sister who is vegan. The staff were so helpful and friendly and we arranged a few trips and airport taxi service through them.The swimming pool was lovely and cleaned regularly, they also provided free tea and coffee all day. There is a 7 eleven shop accross the street and they allowed us to purchase drinks from here to drink by the pool! I stayed here with some friends and their young children and the hotel staff could not have been more flexible for everyones needs. The beach is a ten minute walk away with lots of shops and massage parlours along the way to keep you entertained. The bars are welcoming and friendly and provided lots of games for children and adults.
This was my first trip to Phuket and I must say the hotel really made it a pleasure. We got a good deal as we booked and paid in advance. The receptionist even left a little gift in my room upon arrival. I couldnt recommend this place highly enough, I wouldnt stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I saw a couple of the rooms and they were all excellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
South Africa
Reviewed February 5, 2013

For the money we paid this hotel was not good. The bed is really hard and uncomfortable. I felt like I was sleeping on the floor. The room wasn't clean and we found an old pair of underwear in a packet. The location is not great, a 20 minute walk from the beach. The good things are the staff are really helpful and friendly and the pool is a nice size and clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sepilok, Malaysia
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here for just one night. First of all, this place and the rooms do not look like the pictures. The rooms aren't luxurious at all and they smell very damp. Our linen had weird looking stains on them (like blood or something). We had a discount because of low season, so for us the price was ok but the prices on their website are NOT worth it. Also, it's not close to the beach at all, it says 300 meters in their description but this is not true because you have to walk all the way around Club Med wich is blocking the beach with a big wall.

First the people here seemed friendly, especially the woman. But in the morning when we wanted breakfast, problems started. Because I'm allergic to gluten and also a vegetarian, I usually have a vegetable omelet for breakfast so I have to ask for a adjustment because most times omelets are with bacon/sausages and toast. I've never had a problem with this anywhere in Thailand, and usually I get a substitution and people are very friendly and helpful about it. In this place they wanted to let me pay 120 baht for just a PLAIN omelette (normally that's the price with bacon). I asked why I had to pay for bacon when I don't eat it because I'm a vegetarian, but they didn't want to do anything for me. I asked for the manager because the waiter didn't understand English very well, first he didn't want to come and when I did, he basicly told us to leave in a very agitated way. I've never been treated like this in Thailand anywhere, normally people are very friendly here and they usually offer me an omelet with tomatoes or something and when the omelet is part of a set, I don't have to pay the full price. Both me and my boyfriend didn't understand why we were treated like that while all I did was asking a question. I was very shocked about this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed here for a week, the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. The shower was a poor sight. we didn't have a proper door... patio doors which did not shut the entire way.. which made it very easy for mosquitoes. Also there was Building work from early morning to stupid a clock at night! and when we left the stuff were very rude.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nathan H
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

By far the best I've ever had, and believe me, I've had a lot of it. 120Bht. From the road the restaurant doesn't look up to much, but it's tasty, cheap and clean. Bar service can be a bit slow mind you - if there's no one there I just help myself!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael C
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Booked the place unseen for me and my 11 year old to stay for 16 nights, got there around 2pm, great reception from Kevin, ate some late lunch, tasty stir fry for 89Bht. Pool is small but unused so very relaxing, it's a 10 minute walk to the beach, everything's handy here. It's clean, staff are friendly and go out of their way to help you.

Honestly can't see what anyone can complain about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
South Africa
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Quite an informal resort hotel, not pretentious in any way.

I paid a walk-in rate of B 1,250 per night, which is much cheaper than the internet rate so by Phuket standards it wasn't terribly priced.

But the rooms are old and tired and dark, the pool is too small to swim in, what's more I was nearly killed by a falling coconut which landed 1 step in front of me on the pathway around the pool - sounds quite amusing but I'm sure it would be no laughing matter if I had been just 1 or 2 seconds earlier!

The rooms have internet but I had to bargain with the management who said only 1 user per room - how ridiculous!

They allowed me to order a la carte breakfast since there was no vegetarian buffet breakfast, but it was so oily that I didn't bother ny more after 2 attempts. Cooked breakfast starts at 8 am too - far too late for a holiday hotel.

Lastly, I needed to check out early. I gave 3 days notice but instead of just thanking me for giving him some notice, the male manager nearly had a heart attack! He started wittering on about their terms and conditions which are posted on Agoda.com and elsewhere (none of whom I booked thru so entirely irrelevant). I informed him that I'd gladly pay whatever penalty I had signed agreement to ... which was none. :)

Thankfully, he dropped such claims after that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business