“What is happening to Red Chair?”

Red Chair Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 161 Restaurants in Kata Beach
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed March 17, 2013

When we visited Kata two years ago the place was superb with a good number of Thais eating there and thai takeouts were plenty.
This winter mostly thai with farangs ate there. I was a bit surprised to see that. Suprising was also to see that the takeout counter was gone.
Well, when the meal arrived I discovered why.. Red Chairs quality have detoriated it's not what it has been, sad to say.
Red Chair is still a good Tourist "Thai restaurant" with great prices but don't expect to find genuine Thai cooking there anymore.
We ate there once then headed further up the road to find other, more genuine chophouses.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I love traveling to places and feeling like I've actually experienced a bit of what it's like to be a local. This was totally accomplished by going to Red Chair. Their fare is really good, the service is fast even when the place is packed, and the food is cheap. My husband said their spring rolls are the best he's ever eaten, which is saying something, as the man is a bit of a spring roll fanatic. But most importantly, it has a local, down-home vibe in a place filled with tourist traps.

Give it a go, I say!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

very good food, very cheap. just a little hard to find since it's a little far from the center, but we went walking both ways and was fine, since it wasn't a very hot day

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had eaten there many times before as our bungalow was near the restaurant in March, last year. Good price, fast service, and food with taste, was a great mixture to eat often here.

When I came back to Phuket 6 months later their second restaurant on the other side of the road, was taken over by "two chefs", who had another restaurant again. Also waitresses, I recognized from before sometimes had a "two chefs t shirt".

Food was as fast as before. But when I had great fish with red curry before, it was blend now. Much less taste, approaching more the taste of the tourist restaurants more close to the sea.
Mind, I never ate bad here, but some dishes, were less refined and authentic then before.

More tourists, less locals also. Nothing I ate, I tried again several times, was bad. But it was not better then many other places serving local food.

Is it that in fact "two chefs" took over? They have a venture? They want more tourists? I don't know. Was I unlucky (in some places with fast service there are several cooks). My friend who lives in Phuket, and always eat Thai food, had the same opinion.

It is still an ok place, fast cheap and better then some other overpriced touristic restaurants. It just seemed to adjust more to foreigners taste then before.

For those problems finding it, it is on the road that leads to the fire-station. From Kata before on th right, from Patak road, after on the left.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We found this restaurant by fluke walking from the villa to the beach and I'm really glad we did !
It's the kinda restaurant where you can order pretty much the whole menu and its going to be good!
The price in unbeatable too really cheap really good Thai food !