“Great property, great stay”

The Shore at Katathani
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great property, great stay”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here just for one night and had a great stay in Phuket - the rooms are amazing, have a great view, and all the staff were helpful, organized, and very professional while we stayed there. We also stayed at another hotel in the area during the trip and there was a night and day difference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 778Chris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We booked late so stayed at three places in Phuket. 'The Shore' room was outstanding with infinity pool and cabana. The beach is excellent with white sand and clear water. As a guest of The Shore, you can use the facilities of the Katathani Beach Resort and it does feel like an extension of a big resort. I got tired of waiting on buggy carts but we were up quite a few stairs.

Where The Shore lets itself down, is the service and food. We had two occasions where waiters were extremely rude, There is only the one restaurant and the fruit flies crawling over everything in the morning was also a bit off-putting.

To reiterate, the interior rooms and beach were great. But it felt a bit generic and resort-y. And it was a much longer walk into town than 'Mom Tri's' which we much preferred.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gf0rce
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Gf0rce,

Thank you for your review on Trip Adviser.

I am happy to read that you found our rooms outstanding and that you also enjoyed our facilities at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort!

I do apologize for the waiting times you experienced for the buggy transportation to your villa. Due to high occupancy and some busy hours during the day, it can occur that wait times are longer than 5 minutes although we are doing our best to improve this service.

We do apologize that our services did not meet your expectations and we are doubling our efforts in bringing all of our superb staff up to par. To be honest, now is the first time I heard that our waiters were conducting themselves as you note. I will seriously investigate your claim with the concerned Management and I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I hope you will give us another chance to prove our good service and friendliness according to the proper standard.

Sincerely Yours,
Taylors Hill, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at the Shore in April 2012, with 3 girl friends. We specifically booked Villa 8891 a 2 bedroom sea view villa. I arranged the trip and having stayed in this villa before I raved about it to my friends. Unfortunately upon my arrival I discovered my friends were not in the villa I booked some 7 months before. I was obviously not very happy and made this clear to staff. The explanation was that they had guests in the villa who had stayed longer than expected. We were eventually moved into our requested villa some 2 days later. The sceptic in me wondered if perhaps because we did the pay 6 get 8 deal if our 2 free nights were in a lesser room. Our other issue was the air conditioning in villa 8891. It constantly played up, staff were fabulous and had a technician attempt to fix it every time. For the inconvienence we were given dinner vouchers for the restaurant. For the most part we lived with it as we could just sit in our private pool, however on the day we were preparing to leave it died again! This was incredibly frustrating as we were clean & showered and trying to pack in obressive heat for our very long trip home. My husband & I and another couple are spending 18 nights at the Katathani in June this year, but due to my prior experience I cannot justify spending the money on the Shores this trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Deb C
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Deb C

Thank you for the kind compliments about our staff.

I can assure that the air conditioning problem you mentioned has been fixed and improved since your stay last year. It works very well now, and I do apologize for the inconvenience that it had caused.

Regarding the Villa number request, I would like to inform you that we if we have a request for a specific villa, our Front Office team always does their best to reserve the Villa as per requests although usually we cannot guarantee. It depends mostly upon our actual hotel occupancy. April is still a very busy month, where we are always fully booked and therefore it might not have been possible to reserve that villa for you. However as you mentioned, soon as it was available you were able to move!

We do have many returning guests asking for the same Villa, and if the hotel occupancy is not too high we always try to assign the preferred room as per guest’s preference. It mostly works.

We appreciate your understanding on this matter and if you could give us another chance to serve you here at The Shore or Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, we would be happy to show you our improvements as we work to satisfy all your wishes.

Sincerely yours,
Glasgow
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'VE been fortunate enough to stay in some hotels with spectacular views - The Peninsula in Hong Kong, Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco and Fullerton In Singapore - and the sight I woke up to every morning through the picture window at The Shore was every bit as wonderful: the beautiful beach, blue sea and, of course, the private infinity pool just steps away from the bed.

The villas are spacious, stylish, well equipped and very, very comfortable. The only downside is that they are such lovely places to spend the time that you have to make a real effort to get out and explore the area. Staff are warm, welcoming and endlessly obliging, the epitome of Thai hospitality.

Having my own pool, I didn't spend much time on the beach, but did have a couple of meals at the restaurant, which were excellent and, considering the class of hotel, remarkably good value. In fact, one of the things I liked about the Shore in general is that they don't try to squeeze every last baht out of you once you're through the door: the food is very well priced, the bar has a Happy Hour, they supply plenty of free mineral water - a pet hate of mine is so-called high-class hotels that make you pay for every bottle! - the wi-fi is free and even the mini-bar prices are entirely reasonable.

I've been to Phuket a couple of times and can now say that Kata Beach is by far the best area in which to stay. The nearby town is lively, with plenty of shopping/eating/drinking choices, far superior to Karon Beach up the road, which I found very run-down and shabby in comparison.

The best recommendation I can offer is that if - preferably, when - I return to Phuket I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: The higher up the hill, the better the views. I also hear that they are soon to introduce duplex ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank GrahamCScotland
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a lovely villa with a luxury bathroom huge shower and 2 sinks and a lovely bath with a nice view. We were a bit disappointed with the size of the pool.we stayed at Six Senses in Hua Hin and it was quite a bit cheaper but better.The infinity pool was lovely and access to the beach was excellent.
We also went to the restaurants in the sister hotel .I would recommend the Italian the food was superb and the ambiance and staff were exceptional!
On the whole the staff were really friendly except for a couple driving the buggys

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank shirl101
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 15, 2013

9 nights in a double villa, as god as it gets :-) Clean, luxury, service, breakfast, room size everything was fantastic. This was the second time we stayed at The Shore and we will be back. One of the only hotels in Phuket with not to many tourist from Russia/China... and no children = peaceful.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa as close as possible to the beach
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dekritiske
De Panne, Belgium
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a nice pool villa with a marvelous view. Because of the situation of the rooms on the rock we needed mostly a buggy. The drivers were not always friendly. We came from Bali and went afterwards to Koh Samui were the population is much more friendly than in Phuket.
So next year we do not come back for that reason.
The price of the villa was rather high.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcetannemarie
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear marcetannemarie,
Thank you for your time taken to provide a review of your recent stay, which we have read with great interest. We do apologize that our buggy driver did not meet your expectation and therefore, we are re-doubling our efforts to train the bellboy staff. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused yet glad you enjoyed the Pool Villa with its marvelous view.
Sincerely yours
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!