“Lovely Resort”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Sydney
“Lovely Resort”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at The Shore for 11 nights over Christmas. The resort is lovely but I would hold it at a four not a five star.

The villas are beautiful. The decore is fresh and bright and they are kept very clean. The outdoor area wasn't as impressive as the inside of the villa but I guess it had a more traditional feel to it than super luxurious. The view is fantastic. You can still see the road and buildings to the left but if you ignore that then you have an amazing water view. When you are lying on the bed then you can only see the water. My huge negative with the villa is that you don't get any sunshine on the outdoor area or pool. There is a wall built on one side of each villa which blocks the sunlight. If they had built the walls on to the other side then the sun would shine on to the villas.

The beds in the villa are so comfy and huge. We slept brilliantly whilst staying here.

The staff are extremely friendly and polite and definitely try their best to please you. There were a few incidents where things were lost in translation and didn't happen which could get a bit frustrating but we always got there in the end. The housekeeping is excellent and the villa was always made up when we were out at breakfast and the cleanliness was of a very high standard. They also left us towel animals and floral decorations which is a lovely touch when you walk back into your villa.

The pool area had very few sun loungers. It was Christmas and so the hotel was at full capacity. Most of the sunloungers are on the gardens which are in the shade so we ended up going to the beach each day and paying 200 baht. I do not feel after paying for the hotel that we should have to go to the beach each day to be able to enjoy some sunshine. I also feel the beach should have some sort of service from the hotel seeing as they are not sufficient loungers. They could have a fridge on the bridge leading down to the beach with water for guests for example.

Breakfast is nice and a good choice of hot and cold items. It is all buffet, no a la carte choices though which I think would improve breakfast and make it more in line with other five star hotels. I have to say the coffee was excellent which is always a bonus when travelling. You can opt for breakfast in your villas which we did two of the mornings but we actually preferred eating in the restaurant.

I read another review saying there was no car transport through the hotel. This is not true as we had a lovely driver from the Katathani take us wherever we wanted over the time we were there. We had a lovely lady who showed us the sights along the way to our destinations. You just need to book the driver through the reception. We were also met at the airport by a driver (whch we paid extra for) This was a shambles and not a great first impression as when we got through passport control there was no-one there to meet us and we were worried after a long flight that the driver hadn't turned up. He eventually materialised after a good few minutes and he didn't speak a word of English or give an apology. He signalled us to wait outside and then just left us at the roadside in the middle of a crowd with no explanation of what was happening. The car eventually arrived to collect us after we were waiting in the sweltering heat with no idea what was going on. The driver that took us on our one hour transfer must have had a cold and cough and was snorting rather loudly every five- seven seconds for the entire journey. Yes I counted... after an hour of listening to this it became rather unbearable. Not a five star service at all or a great first impression.

I tried the spa which I would not recommend. I had a manicure and pedicure which took over two hours and the standard of service was very poor. They cut my skin and just took forever to complete the treatment. The spa is not that attractive in decor and I would give this a miss for the price they charge. My husnband had a massage and said it was very average.

We ate in the Harbour restaurant for dinner one evening. The food is very good and the service is attentive. The surroundings are very pretty too. I would recommend eating in the resturant. Because we ate breakfast here every day though we went out most evenings for a change of scenery.

The location of the hotel is good. If you choose to eat at any of the Katathani resturants you can get the buggy from the Shore to take you. We ate in the Thai restaurant there which was excellent food and I highly recommend. It is only a short five minute taxi ride into Kata which you can grab from outside the the resort or order through reception. We liked being slightly away from all the busy part so it felt like a sanctuary when you return to the resort.

We had a negative at the end with the issue over a late checkout. I think communcation channels at the hotel are muddled and we were being told different things by different people. This led to our last day being a bit chaotic but it was all resolved in the end. Again though- the standards are just not there to call this a five star.

Overall it was a very lovely stay and I would stay here again if I was returning to Phuket.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelux7
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Travelux 7
Thank you for your review on TA. I am happy to read that you liked the décor of the Villa, the wonderful view and that overall you had a lovely stay.
Thank you also for the compliments towards our staff. I do apologize regarding some miscommunications which happened during your stay.
Kata noi Beach is a public Beach; therefore it is not possible for the hotel to provide service at the Beach.
We appreciate your suggestion about a menu being offered during breakfast, which we have recently implemented including more choices for our guests.
I have already forwarded your complaint regarding the transportation (from the airport to our hotel) to the concerned department. Your comments are taken seriously and will be investigated. This is absolutely not our standard service, and I do truly apologize for the case.
The Serenity Spa has been informed of your complaint and is seriously reviewing their services and facilities in order to improve such issues.
Regarding your Late checkout request on your departure date, I would like to inform you that the late checkout is subject to availability, and during the Christmas/New year time we were running a very high occupancy. However we always do our best to assign the late check out as per guest requests. In your case I do apologize that we were not able to make a quick decision as it took a while to find out the best solution for you. Although we finally were able to accommodate you in the same Villa until your departure time, I agree and apologize that the issue should have been handled in a more efficient manner. Despite these inconveniences, I hope to welcome you “ashore” again in the near future to enjoy the improvements we are ensuring following your feedback.

Sincerely yours,
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at this resort in June, for our honeymoon.

We had a pool villa, and the moment you enter the room, you are lost for words. The setting is truly breathtaking, paradise like.

The rooms are very large, equipped with all possible amenities, the staff is incredibly nice and eager to satisfy your every wish, and the beach is very secluded.

There are a few downsides: the staff speaks very little English, the spa is very high priced, and since the villas are just next to the tropical forest, expect large, big-as-your-palm, unknown bugs in your room and strange noises through the night. Oh, and occasional snakes and lizards, of various sizes.

Room Tip: Try the hotel recommended restaurant, Mom Tri, it's an unique experience.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Visitster
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Shore is a great hotel, it's small and is part of a bigger sister hotel next door. Basically, guests of the Shore can use the facilities and restaurants of the Katathani Hotel next door but not vice versa so it stays quiet and exclusive!
We stayed in a pool villa with side views of the sea. This resort is very steep so you have to rely on buggies unless you are a glutton for punishment, so bear this in mind if you are not good on your legs!
The layout of the villa was probably the best I've stayed in. A lobby area leading into a dressing area with wardrobes, dressing table and a big luggage bench which takes two big cases. Then partition doors into a big bedroom with seating/dining area and a TV. Adjoining the bedroom and the dressing area is a very spacious bathroom with separate loo and shower, free standing claw foot bath and two basins. Then a large undercover comfy seating area outside, two sunbathing mattresses and an infinity pool.
Prices are surprisingly reasonable for eating and drinking here. So we did enjoy many a glass of something and a bite for lunch without feeling ripped off, but if you want to eat locally, there are plenty of restaurants in easy walking distance. On a few occasions we took a taxi to Kata town, Karon town and Patong in the evening just to sample the lively nightlife and enjoy the street food.
The beach is a public beach like most of the beaches in Thailand. The loungers and parasols do not belong to the hotel and you will be charged to use them (I think it was 200 baht per day). You can access the beach easily from the hotel down some steps, and the water is absolutely heavenly. You don't need beach shoes here. Plus you can borrow snorkelling gear from the gym at the hotel. There are plenty of places to eat and drink on the beach as well.
I poked my head in the gym which was small but ok, the spa looked nice as well but again I didn't try it. There is even a hotel shop which sells wine at less than £20 so you can drink it in your villa without being charged hotel prices!
Overall, I loved this hotel, for the location, the setting, the staff and service and the food. I mean Thai green chicken curry for breakfast? Yes please. And also, the prices once in the hotel were very reasonable I thought.
Next stop, Banyan Tree in Koh Samui...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janey R
Leeton, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were fortunate enough to have experienced this picture perfect resort. The photos and pictures of this resort do not do it any justice what so ever. From the minute we stepped into the resort, you are treated like royalty, the welcome we recieved which included a refreshing beverage was special, and before we even made it to our room, we knew that there was something magical about this place. This resort was full of smiles, big smiles 8-)))

Upon entering our room, I was totally blown away by the amenities and the views left me speechless, which doesnt happen too often! You could see the Andaman Sea from every room in the villa. The shower was fully glass and again, exposed you to the bluest water for as far as the eye could see, or more fittingly 'sea'! The room was faultless in terms of cleanliness. The villa pool was lovely, especially with the outdoor sunlounges. The only down side for me was the the sun never hit the pool or sunlounges until much later in the afternoon, and the water in the pool was too cold to swim in when there was no sun.

The Shore is situated up on a hill as mentioned by many other reviewers. This meant that you would call reception for a buggy when you needed to leave the actual resort. The staff need to be commended on how quick their buggy service was, I was never left waiting. The actual resort grounds are very well manicured and looked after, however, it is not the resort where you would socialise with others as you feel totally nestled away in another part of the world, and naturally everyone is enjoying the comforts of their room.
I cannot comment on the quality of foods as we did not eat at The Shore for breakfast or any other meals as we had family staying at the Katathani Beach Resort so we opted to meet up with them for our meals.

I would recommend this resort for couples whose main aim is to relax and stay in. As the Shore is very expensive (and worth it) I did feel guilty when leaving my room, as this type of luxury should be totally consumed by the guest. As we were constantly leaving to do activities or meet with family, we probably didn't get to stay in as much as we would have liked. I would recommend this for people who want to lounge around and not be out more than they are in. In saying that, for me personally, I think 4 days would be my max stay at this resort, as like I said, value for money and to do your bank account any justice you need to stay in and enjoy. It should also be noted that as the rooms have their own pool villa, the actual resorts communal pool is quiet small and was often empty (which makes sense) so it does not have that resort feel where you lounge around the pool and get waited on, however, that's what you pay for when staying here.

Overall, I definately want to go back and know that you wont be disappointed if you choose to stay here! The views are worth every cent!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JulsCalabr0
Reviewed January 5, 2013

For the people who want just a beautiful place to relax and not worry about tomorrow.
You are also right next to the beach which I must say are spotless with soft sands for a stroll in the morning after breakfast ,rooms are really nice food is fresh beer is cheap around 80 Baht , taxi cost 500 baht to Paton which we went durning the day an couldn't get back quick enough.

There is plenty to do in the bay you over look from jet skis banana boats para sailing and you can see it all from your day bed which is surrounded with your infinity pool

Recommend it here and would come back again for sure.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Rangersdiv3
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My dream hotel! Surpassed every expectation, hope to be able to go back some day. It was one of the most zen places I have ever been. The villa was beautiful, the staff was incredible, and the food was good. The best part though are the views from the restaurant/pool area and the beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica L
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We are at the hotel now and I hope that this review will reach hotel's management.
We always trusted TA rating's and they never let us down. But this time the rating is definitely not corresponding to the level of the hotel.
Situated on the hillside. So to go up or down from your villa, you have to call a buggy. Normally it took around 5 to 12 mins to come. Also its possible to use the stairs-it took us around 7 mins to come down from the top villa. The hotel has a sister hotel, you can use all facilities of the 2 hotels.
The Shore has only 48 villas, so the hotel is absolutely not crowded & very quiet.
Positive things:
1) We had a seaview pool villa and it was just fantastic! Private infinity pool, private sunbeds-you can spend the whole day at the villa without leaving. The view was incredible! You can lay in your bed and watch the sea...A recommended place for all honeymooners that want to be isolated from the rest of the world;)
2) The villa is spacious, bedroom has panoramic windows with terrific view, there is also a big bathroom with 2 sinks, a bath and a huge shower. Also there is a patio with a table and sofa-great for breakfasts and evening wine tasting.
3) Very clean villa & pool, good toiletries.
4) Very good organization of the hotel pool place: nice sunbeds, umbrellas, easy access to the sea.
5) Very quiet location -at the dead end of the road, not much people around. Staff is watching out for the trespassers.
Negative stuff:
1) Wi-fi is a problem-impossible to use it in the room-very weak signal!
2) DVD player in the room was Thai produced (unknown brand) and it did not work (not nice for a luxury hotel)
3) The is only one restaurant at the Shore. To be honest the selection of food is quite limited and the service is not the best (for example, during a late lunch a waiter honestly confessed that the "freshly squeezed" juice was actually prepared for the breakfast; at the breakfast the waiters did not know the difference between cafe americano and a mocha, although both were on the menu) . But you can always go to the several restaurants downhill at the sister hotel.
4) Safety is not respected around the hotel: few times we were nearly ran over by buggies-their route crosses the pedestrian rout and their are pretty quiet, so you do not hear them coming.
5) Also there is no transportation service for the hotel guests with cars, only pick up at the airport with a shuttle (which was free for us-a good point). To go around the island you need to get a taxi. But they do have a yacht (!) -for 7000$/day rent...interesting substitution;)
!6) Unfortunately the spa was a real turn-off...at the 5star luxury hotel at 2000$/night during the festive season you would expect a really good spa... All rooms, facilities and some staff members of the spa were filthy, sheets and towels old and not fresh, smelling of mould...at the changing room the shower was covered in mould, paint was coming off the ceiling, sink was not working properly, there were no disposable toiletries or sleepers... there was a comb lying at the table with black hair on it and old leather sleepers in the corner-disgusting!...I felt that the towels on the bed were not really changed after the previous client, they were stained & smelly. The therapist was asking my age, marital status and commenting on my body..at the same time the treatments were not cheap for Thailand (100$ for a massage). They were also rather painful, even the massage called "relaxing", so absolutely no positive feelings about spa experience-DO NOT EVEN TRY IT!. We were just coming from Bangkok's Mandarin Oriental, so the change was dramatic...
7) Also the level of service around the hotel was good, but definitely not top class-compared to Mandarin Oriental or 4 Seasons, but the price of the Shore was the same level(!) They try hard at the hotel, introducing little treats for the guests, but still it lacks the class.
Before going to Thailand for the beach holiday, we were choosing between 4Seasons at Samui and The Shore at Phuket..so now we understand, that we made a mistake.

To summarize: good villas, seaview was breathtaking, romantic setting, clean, but the hotel definitely lacking a service upgrade and renovation of the spa! or a change of the price tag! I would recommend to choose a different hotel from the international chain for the same price-you will get a far better service for your money.

Dear hotel! You need a spa upgrade&renovation! For the prices that you charge for a room this kind of spa facilities is not acceptable! It is disgusting and filthy at the level of 2*-3* hotel.

Room Tip: Seaview villa is fantastic! the view is "to die for"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KSB1984
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear ks_Bazhenova,

First, let me thank you for the stellar comments about our; views, cleanliness and the villa with its outstanding layout and location!
I am glad we were able to meet personally for providing a rapid response and action to your review. Given our eager willingness to assist you in resolving everything immediately, we would have hoped you contacted me directly. Here on Tripadvisor I would like to clarify a few points for our readers:

-The DVD Player was replaced as soon as we were made aware of it on Tripadvisor. Had we known directly, we would have taken immediate action.
-Also in this same morning of our knowing the issue, our IT specialist came to adjust the WiFi. I do apologize about the initial problems regarding a connection.
- Thank you for your suggestion regarding the buggies. We will install more mirrors to make guests aware of their coming around the corner since they are very quiet. Please rest assured guest safety remains a consistent priority.
-Regarding the Spa, I have already spoken to its Manager concerning all mentioned items. She received your feedback very seriously and will investigate towards improving each detail. Please be assured that Serenity Spa is taking all corrective measures to improve each service and facility issue noted in your review.

I am sorry that your initial experience did not meet expectations which led to your recommendation about international chains. However, rest assured each of your constructive comments are being seriously addressed by our management team in order to ensure immediate improvements. We intend that the second half of your stay at The Shore will be as perfect as you can imagine. Also, that you will be glad to recommend The Shore to your friends and family as you hope to re-visit in the near future!
Sincerely yours,
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!