“Great experience”

KokChang Safari Elephant Trekking
Ranked #7 of 22 things to do in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This experience was actually one of the best we had on Phuket Island. We booked our reservation online before we arrived. The shuttle they offered was on time and picked us up at the JW Marriott. The elephants looked very well cared for with plenty to eat and they each got a bath after each ride. We could feed them for free (but a donation box was there). we took the 50 minute ride and were amazed at the how these gentle giants ambled through the forest up to the top of the hill for an amazing view of the beaches below. The mahout took lots of pictures of us and we each took a turn sitting on the elephant's neck in the mahout's spot while he walked on the ground. Loved this!

1  Thank texastraveler44
Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)
All reviews
in 72 reviews
"feed"
in 184 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you want to ride on the back of an elephant for just under an hour through the local jungle, with fantastic views do it!
They don't deal with tour operators so you need to contact them direct. I managed it via email while in Phuket and it was all booked for the next day, no problems. info@kokchangsafari.com

Depending on where your staying there maybe a charge to be picked up and dropped off, we stayed in kata so it was free but the charges were minimal. They picked us up and dropped us off as stated in new and comfortable cars.
There's no sales pitch or patter, you pick your ride between 20 and 50 minutes and your away. Both the guide and the 40 yr old elephant (Alek) were great. Ou get the opportunity to feed he elephant bananas after your trek and you can leave a donation if you wish.There's a small bar to have a cold beer after your trip, again no sales patter, you either have one or you don' t.
Couple no ticket sales via tour operators and what we observed can't say but my gut feeling was that the animals were well cared

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We like because our Kids enjoyed the elephant ride

We don't like the price of the photo shoot before the elephant journey start ..too pricy

1  Thank cinta29
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We really enjoyed our elephant treks at this location having completed the 20 minute and 30 minute treks. During both visits the staff appeared to care or the elephants feeding them well and providing bananas for feeding them not demanding money but having a donation box for persons to voluntarily donate if they wish to, we did as we liked how the elephants were treated. My daughter and I were given the opportunity to ride in the mahouts position for about half of our rides which was really nice.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the experience and had a brilliant time. However, since riding on the back of the elephants neck, I have developed huge lumpy red rashes down the back of my legs. I am still in Thailand and here for another 10 days. I am worrying it could be mites from the elephant? I was wearing shorts which was silly, I would defiantly recommend people doing this trip to wear trousers just incase. I mean, this rash might not be from the elephants but mites seem to be the answer. Is it worth paying for a health check up here or waiting until I get home to England in 10 days? Thanks