Kok Chang Safari Elephant Trekking
Ranked #7 of 18 things to do in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

As we have a 1yr old daughter we were a bit hesitant taking her for a ride but did want her to be able to see this amazing animal so close. I do love animals so I did take my time looking into all the different ones and I'm so happy I did this. We visited Big Buddha and drove past a few and was surprised to see so many baby Elephants standing out in the sun and the conditions of their homes, Kok Chang is the complete opposite. You can even feed bananas to the elephants for free or make a donation.

Visited February 2013

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Travelling in style and comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Divine, handsome, cute - I've always loved elephants from afar. Today I was lucky enough to get up close and personal with Yum Yum, a sweet 59 year old Asian elephant.

Riding on Yum Yum through through the bush in Phuket was a very pleasant way to spend the morning. My mother advised me not to squeal as it might frighten them and I'm pleased to report that there was nae a squealing situation. You simply climb the mounting platform and step onto her back and sit in the chair. She sways gently back and forth as she picks her path up the mountain.

There was no hitting or striking the animal, the guide was pleasant and a bit cheeky, he took lots of pictures (with our camera) and we weren't asked to pay for his trouble.

Feeding the elephants after with bananas is delightful.

This is a stress free activity in an otherwise holiday filled with negotiation.

I suggest that you prevail of Kok Chang's pick up and drop off service as it was about half the cost of a taxi.

Call or email Kok Chang about 48 hours before you want to go. If you are staying somewhere that is on Phuket taxi mafia turf (like we were) ask them to pick you up at a local restaurant or similar if picking you up is a problem (like it was for us) or ask them to come in the mini-bus.

I imagine that kids from 2 to 102 would love this activity.

Elephant is not my preferred mode of travel - should be interesting getting Yum Yum through customs...

Visited March 2013
1 Thank CatharineR
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“An amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent a lot of time looking at different elephant trekking locations and companies in Thailand, I'm a huge elephant lover and wanted to go somewhere that the elephants are looked after and not made to do tricks or shows.
Kok Chang was everything I wished for!
The elephants were so well looked after; after every trek they are given a good shower and a rest, they are fed and given a drink.
When you arrive, you pay at the desk and then they guide you to your elephant, don't worry about your footwear because shoes have to be taken off when riding on the elephants. You can feed them bananas, as many as you like (for free or a donation I you choose) before and after the trek. They are incredibly friendly and very cheeky, Pancake the elephant even knows how to say thank you.
We rode on Pancake, which apparently is the best one because the guy lets you ride on her head, we did the full trek for 1000 baht and it was well worth it, the views were incredible.
When we got to the peak of the trek, the guy took my phone and spent the last half an hour taking pictures of us riding Pancake back to the hold, we took it in turns to ride on the back of her head, an amazing feeling (especially for an elephant lover like me).
You can buy drinks at the desk here, there are very clean restrooms and loads of shade, as well as places to sit for those who don't want to join in.
It's 15 minutes from Patong and an hour from Phuket airport.
Highly recommended, do not go anywhere else!

1 Thank 2013alys
Timonium, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

After reading the great reviews of Kok Chang Safari, my wife and I were very excited about our elephant trek. I was a little hesitant about an elephant ride as there is some controversy to the ethics of it, but we talked ourselves into it as being OK and we believed there was no problem with it. We were wrong.

First, the guide or mahout doesn't tell you anything. No history, no descriptions of anything, nothing about the elephant, not even his or her name. All he does it take a bunch a pictures of you and occasionally give the elephant a good whack with the back of his bull hook.

Elephants are very amazing and large animals which is why people, including myself, want to get close to them and go for a ride. Do some research before you decide to ride an elephant. I think there is a lack of awareness on the topic which is why people still do it. Don't make the same mistake we made. The experience was overrated and felt no joy or excitement from the elephant ride.

Visited February 2013
7 Thank Mike J
London, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Great Elephant Trekking in the Jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

This is the third time that we've taken this trip.It makes for a wonderful hour in the hills above Kata and the environs.For sure the elephants are well looked after and the people that run the place are friendly and very welcoming.The views are outstanding from a certain part of the trek.We never felt uncomfortable at all.It's definitely 'a must' as it's such a great diversion from the beaches,shops and the general hustle and bustle of resorts.It feels like escapism.The ride is very relaxing and only a little bumpy in places.I'd say go for it as it's so very unique.There are bananas supplied for you to feed the elephants with,which adds to the whole pleasure of the trip.We also sat on the neck of the elephant which too feels quite special and very enjoyable.
Very well recommended.A great experience....