“average”

Kok Chang Safari Elephant Trekking
Ranked #7 of 22 things to do in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This place offers free pick up from Kata , but they had not turned up after 35 minutes, contacted them and they apologised "got time wrong", the van picked us up but then had to pick someone else, reached there 90 minutes after meant pick up time when it is only 5 minutes from kata beach . Elephants are chained -all legs such that they cant move at all , they use their trunks to grab the bananas you can offer then after your ride. Took 50 min trek, it is not through any exotic jungle.. you ride through a patch of rubber trees, insect repellent strongly advised or prepare to be bitten by mosquitoes.

To the ride itself, it was just ok, the guide didnt say much, seat is not exactly comfortable with posterior upper thighs resting on a metal bar, a rope across as a ?safety belt. It is not safe, dont wish anybody to fall off.

They use a metal hook to hit the elephant head, yes elephants have thick skin, but the thud that instrument made made me uncomfortable.

I just felt something lacking in the experience...

My sister was on another elephant . She told me the elephant in front of hers had stopped to pee/poo, and the guide on that elephant started hitting the elephant for having stopped, to the point that she was praying for the elephant to hurry up so that it would stop getting hit.

They have 2 apes in a cage up the stairs near the toilet. The "blonde" one looks so sad I am sure it is clinically depressed. It is just stationary, crouched over, and looks sad, while the black one is constanly moving.

Sorry but I cant recommend this place, didnt like the way the elephants were chained that they cant move one inch in any direction.

1  Thank Frangipani55

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Simple set up and really good trek, we took the 50 minute trek through the hills and forest, with some great views over the bay, then back down the hill. The guides were great and they made sure there were plenty of great photo opportunities.

The set up had a nice feel of not being over commercialised nor did it appear to be exploiting the elephants at all through performances or anything like that( which we wanted to avoid )

Just a lovely experience, would definitely recommend, really easy to book just send them an email and they sent a car to pick up and return included in the 1000Bht adult price and kids half price so great value!

1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Kok Chang Safari would have to be one of the best elephant trek's we have been on during all of our travels to Phuket.

All the animals seem well cared for, the staff are very helpful and friendly and the setting is beautiful. There are bananas available at the center to feed the elephants while taking some great photos and you just leave a donation in the box for them.

There are also 2 white palmed gibbons at Kok Chang called Charley and Lum Yai, however they are both now in a huge enclosure due to being at an age where they could be a danger to people or to themselves. Their new home is lovely with lots of room to swing around on their ropes and play.

One of the highlights of the elephant trek, besides the fantastic views is once you are at the top of the hill you can ride down sitting on the elephants head if you want. It was so exciting sitting on her head, feet hooked behind her ears for balance and enjoying the ride back down.

Your mahout will also take lots of photos of your trek, so just hand him your camera.

There is also a great bar at the centre, so after your trek you can buy water, fruit shakes, beer etc at very cheap prices.

This is also a perfect spot to sit and watch a beautiful Phuket Sunset!

Prices for the one hour elephant trek to the summit are 1000baht per adult. This is the one we would highly recommend!

There is also a half hour trek for 800baht, a 20 minute trek for 600baht, with 50% off for children 4 - 11 years of age and children under 4 are free.

Money for the elephant trek is paid directly to the centre.

Kok Chang Safari have also started doing complimentary pickups from Karon, Kata or Nai Harn and 100baht for return transfers from Patong.
Contact details are:
Chaini +66 (0) 84 841 9794
info@kokchangsafari.com

15  Thank Cathy&Gary
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I book through their website by dropping them a short email just a day before!
We arrive phuket in Patong by Cruise Libra. Eventhough we are 15minutes late, the driver still has a big smile on his face :) In fact our driver a good command of english and a little too friendly.

The elephant tour was great experience. Breathtaking view. But I do keep telling myself that the elephant has thick thick skin so the guide was scratching and not torturing them. Feeding them is fun. I recommend them because i can see the elephants feed well. 800baht x 2 person = 1600baht / 30min Oh, the guide help you to take tons of photo, just make sure your camera not too hard to operate.

The price is reasonable especially the driver even brought us to a good restaurant, Wat Cha Long, buy tickets at Simon Carbaret at half the tour agent price and back to a shopping mall or place of your choice, for only 400baht!!! Of cos I gave him some tips since he save us a lot of transport fares, time!

1  Thank YK2000
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at the Katathani hotel resort in Kata during our trip in early Nov 2011. I wanted for my children to experience first hand what it would feel like to ride on an elephant. I am glad to have done my research on Tripadvisor ahead of our trip to Phuket. I read good reviews on Kok Chang Safari Elephant Trekking and decided to call them while there. Within a few minutes of my call, they sent in a driver to pick us up from the resort which is only about 10 minutes from Kok Chang. We were offered a few options for the duration of the trek i.e. 20 mns, 30 mns and 60 mns. We picked the 20 mns tour. The trek was superb and the accompanying staff volunteered to take our photos. After we completed our little tour, the driver took us back to the hotel. We were pretty much done in 1 hour including transport time. Kok Chang is the place to visit for elephant trekking if you are staying in or around Kata.

1  Thank HMEX