My husband and I stayed at Avista Phuket Resort for 11 days in January 2010 during our first ever trip to Thailand. The hotel was relatively new and had very little reviews at that time, but we decided to give it a try and boy, was that a wonderful experience! In fact, it was so great that we're going back there again for the New Year. Nothing we found on the web could measure up to Avista.
The best things about this hotel are:
- Rooms: spacious, modern yet with a touch of traditional Thai design, filled with amenities (among others are a big LCD TV with loads of English-language channels, a large comfortable bathroom with big shower gel and shampoo dispensers on the shower wall). Ours was the Grand Deluxe room, complete with a fridge and a microwave oven.
- Infinity pool: it's huge, crystal clean, and features a pool bar. You can have a drink there or just make an order and have the drinks delivered to your sunbed. They even make things that are not on the menu (try a mix of espresso and fresh orange juice on ice -- very refreshing!). Sunbeds are very comfortable and they even have king-size ones that are great for a mother and a baby.
- Quality of service and staff attitude: everyone we met were helpful, polite, and gentle, albeit a bit slow moving, but this is how many Thai people come across if you're used to the hectic life of a big city :)). They have ringers near each sunbed so you can summon a waiter and order a drink or a snack.
- Breakfast menu: a big choice of Thai, general Asian, and European food that will satisfy any taste. I loved the noodles, shrimp dumplings, and fresh fruit selection.
- Nighttime lights: the hotel looks fabulous at night, what with the pool and palm tree lighting.
- Location: the hotel sits atop a hill between Karon and Kata beaches and it's cool that you can easily choose between the two. Karon has squeaky yellow sand and is much cleaner than Kata. Kata, however, has beautiful soft white sand and is a real pleasure to walk down at dusk. It's also cool that the hotel is so high on the hill because it's the evacuation area in case of tsunami and you're protected against any natural disaster of this kind.
- Recreation and library: you can play pool or fussball or chess and checkers at the recreation room, and there's a huge selection of paperbacks in many languages (mostly in English) in the library. I myself left a few books behind for the next guests to read.
What I would like to see improved:
- Lunch and dinner cooking: the selection was wide, but the cooking was bad. Thai noodles were lumpy, pizza was inedible, soup was tasteless... When it rains at night and you're stuck in the hotel, you have no choice but to eat there. And when there's a crowd of people stuck with you the kitchen is overflooded with orders and you have to wait for up to 40 minutes to get your order. When it gets there, it's tepid at best.
- Fresh towels are handed out daily behind the pool bar, down the stairs from the fitness center.
- If you have a room facing the garden, don't worry - it means you'll have a quiet room and will sleep tight at night.
- Be an early bird and you will enjoy the restaurant to yourself before the crowds hit the place for breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge in Luxurious Accommodations at Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort & Spa at Kata Beach. Raise your vacation to a higher level and have a stunning experience in Thailand. Novotel Phuket Kata, not just any other hotels -- it stands as one of the most expressive and stylish ones in Phuket. This beautiful hotel's design itself is a splendid architectural deco-nature model of bio-regional and ecological harmony. Set against gently sloping hills, it is the perfect spot to achieve your much-needed relaxation as well as to explore the wild jungles, magnificent beaches, and exciting nightlife of Kata. The nice hotel's pool area is likewise a striking, exotic oasis of cascading royal-blue water juxtaposed against the turquoise Andaman Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Despegar.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avista Phuket Hotel Kata Beach
- Avista Phuket Resort And Spa
- Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort And Spa Kata Beach