“Well equipped with great service”

Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed in the Grand Deluxe room which had one queen bed, one double bed, two basins in the bathroom, a microwave, cutlery amongst the regular stuff (like a safe, TV, fridge and so on).

As we were arriving quite late (about 1am), we had emailed the hotel prior to our arrival in Thailand to arrange for airport transfer (relatively expensive at 1500 baht) and to confirm reception would still be open. They promptly replied and ensured us we would have no problem checking in. The airport shuttle was there on time and quickly whisked us away to the hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, offered refreshment towels and a delicious welcome drink (wish there was more!). We were taken through things like breakfast time and so on before being given our key. The only thing to note here is that the person relaying us the information only quietly told one person from our group of 6 so a few of us weren't even sure what was happening and what time breakfast ended.

The staff at he front desk in general are very friendly and always welcoming with hellos and goodnights whenever I walked by. It was always a great thing to hear. They were also very helpful in arranging the complimentary shuttles and so on. Other staff such as in the dining area and those who made up rooms were also extremely polite and it's great to see in a hotel of this size.

The rooms, however were fantastic: large, clean and modern. The beds were comfortable, the facilities great and the TV large and a great welcome after a long day outside. It was fantastic to see two basins in the bathroom but there a couple of small issues I found with the bathroom. First, the shower went extremely hot and then cold at times which is a bit frustrating when you're trying to freshen up after a sweaty day in the humid weather. Second, the blind that comes down block the view from the room to the bathroom isn't lightproof and does not cover the entire glass window, so when I needed to go to the bathroom at night I could see the light shining through onto the other person's bed and a bit onto their face. May not be the best if you are a really light sleeper. WIfi in the room is good.

Breakfast was fantastic with a wide array of food such as toasts, pastries, rice, noodles, eggs, bacon, baked beans, salads, fruits, cereals, juices and yoghurt. Service for tea and coffee is also good as they come around offering you tea/coffee and top ups. The Thai set lunch was decent value and of okay quality. Good if you're lazy to venture out but wasn't outstanding. The buffet dinner they had (which had live music and acts which was fun) was decent with a variety of offerings such as grilled fish, squid, prawns, a lad na (noodles with gravy) like dish which is cooked over a flame in front of you, larb (spicy mince pork), marinated chicken and an array of delicious desserts.

The pool (with the bar) was great and we spent hours just lazing about in the cool water. The bar is a little pricey (but expected)but is great when you just want to let your worries drift away. There is also a games room with pool, foosball and a table tennis tables. The gym seemed decently equipped, too.

The free shuttle service to Patong and Kata were also great and saved us a great deal of money given we tailored in suits in Patong. You just need to book a day or so in advance. I only wish they were more frequent but I can understand why the hotel cannot cater for this.

The steep hill could be a problem for some people but for the most part, you just need to work up the motivation to get to the top. It's not so bad after the first or second time.

The only other issue we had was that I had called up reception from my mobile phone to book a taxi to the airport the next day. They had confirmed my details (repeating them to me). When we were waiting the next day, there was no record of the booking. Luckily, the staff managed to flag down a taxi for us anyway and we were not late.

Overall, I can recommend Avista if you want to relax and stay away from the busy areas of Phuket. The staff are friendly and the breakfast is great, although the hotel can be a bit of a maze at first as there are a lot of corridors (and possibly lifts) to catch.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hplam
TeamAvista, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Dear hplam,

Thank you for your comments and for recommending us.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed your holiday with Avista and liked the welcome, rooms, breakfast spread, international buffet, pool bar and the staff.

Your comments are a welcome endorsement of the quality of our resort and encourage us to continue to do better to meet the high standards of service our guests have come to expect of us.

We apologise about the hot & cold water in the shower and will put corrective measures in place to arrest the issue.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and all of us at Avista look forward to welcome you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa

Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Avista Resort during our time in Phuket. Great check-in process with an extremely friendly staff who are welcoming upon arrival at the hotel. We were given a deluxe room which was very clean, modern and had a nice view of Kata Beach.

Breakfast was provided each morning and included a number of both prepared Western and Eastern dishes along with made to order eggs and breakfast items. On the days our tours left prior to the restaurant opening the hotel provided us with boxed breakfast that included fruit, eggs and pastries to take with us.

The pools are very nice and the drinks at the bar are good - expensive by Thai standards but reasonable for a resort. As mentioned previously the hill entrance to the resort is steep but should not be an issue for any active person.

When arriving at the airport you will be bombarded by taxi and tour services - we were given the following advice and were glad we followed it. After collecting your bags leave the arrivals hall, turn right and walk about 50m until you reach the only Taxi Meter stand. While these taxis have meters you will see that they are conveniently turned off or hidden under cloths - the driver will offer a price since they don't want to use the meter. We paid 500 THB for two people with luggage from the airport to the resort which we found fair as the actual meter can run upwards to 1000 THB. If you are happy with the driver ask for their card as you can schedule them to take you back to the airport.

The hotel is located in Kata Beach which is very nice but has limited nightlife options. It is probably better for Couples or young families. Most of the 'nightlife' occurs in Patong which is quite frantic and not far but quite expensive (Around 400-500THB one way via tuk-tuk) and difficult to get to.... although Patong is not really the nicest area to stay. This hotel is a great choice if you have prearranged tours that are picking you up on a daily schedule.

That being said we had mixed feelings regarding our staying for a couple of reasons.

There are only two negative experiences we had with our stay and both dealt with local transportation. A taxi / tuk-tuk mafia operates in front of the hotel and prevents any other taxis or tuk-tuks access to the hotel property. The crew of people are a bit rough and spend most of the evenings blasting music and setting off fireworks. We had prearranged our airport transportation on the last day of our trip. When we asked the hotel to confirm our reservation we were told that either we had to pay the taxi/tuk-tuk operation outside 1000 THB or carry our belongings down the hill to central Kata in order to be picked up. When asked if the hotel would assist in carrying our luggage down the hill we were told that since we were now checked out they could not help. Its really unacceptable that the hotel does not do more to fix this - a guest should not have to drag their luggage down a hill to be picked up by a taxi.

The other issue involved the complimentary Patong Shuttle service. There are two return trips daily and we had scheduled to take the later (11pm)return. Due to an unforeseen change in our plans we needed to return early and contacted the hotel to confirm that the earlier run (6 pm) was running which they confirmed. After waiting about 20 mins. we contacted the hotel to find out where the shuttle was we were informed that the shuttle was cancelled due to no bookings. When I question why the front desk has earlier confirmed the shuttle I was told that there must have been a communication issue was asked to pay for a taxi back and provide the hotel with a receipt that would be deducted from my bill. When we arrive we provided the front desk with the receipt (400 THB) who was very apologetic about the mistake and ensured us it would be handled that evening.

The next morning at check out the credit had not been applied to our bill. When I questioned this I was told that the front desk had "changed" their mind and would not be applying the credit and that the since it wasn't approved they disposed of the receipt. When we asked to speak to the manager we were told she would not arrive until 8 am and was told "its too late to fix anyway" We just felt as though it was a poor way to end the trip and really left us with a bad impression. Despite asking the front desk to have the manager call us to discuss the experience we have not heard back.

6  Thank SO T
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stayed here February 2012. Excellent service and a very clean hotel. The highlights of the hotel were the elaborate complimentary breakfast each morning and the relaxing pool area. Our room was above expectations in size and cleanliness. The one possible downside of this hotel is its location. There is a steep hill (200m) in front of the hotel that is difficult to get up and down, especially in the heat. Once at the bottom of the hill, you're within walking distance to all of the attractions, including a two minute walk to Kata beach.

3  Thank JMP_Chicago
TeamAvista, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear JMP_Chicago,

Thank you for your comments.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your holiday with us and liked the service, room, cleanliness, breakfast and pool area.

Your comments encourage us continue to do better to meet the high standards our guests have come to expect of Avista.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and all of us at Avista look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort from 23-26th feb 2012 opting for the club room. Was very impressed with the " welcoming" process. Was given a room with fantastic view of the beach and the pool as well as a well equpipped amenities within. The room was very clean, huge and the king sized bed was very comfortable! Tried the spa within this resort. Though it's a bit expensive because you can really get very cheap massages everywhere and I mean everywhere outside the resort for a mere 300 baht for 1 hr, I still find it worthwhile because of the privacy. Greatly enjoyed the game room and library within this resort. All the various staff are very friendly and helpful. One thing that one must prepare is to walk up the steep slope leading to the resort.

There are plenty of good food and shops very near the resort hence it is very convenient to get our meals.

My only complain is that; I have requested for the reception to book for me taxi on my date of departure even after knowing that the price is so expensive as I thought that I can be guaranteed of punctuality. I was very disappointed however as the taxi was late! The staff only bother to make calls at my insistence as I was very worried that I will miss my flight. It was scheduled to arrive at 7.45am but only came at 8 after various calls. No proper explanations were given. At the very least, I expected them to send us with the resort's transport. Though the resort was not entirely to be blamed, we thought that they can do better.

What makes us more disappointed is that even though I have sent them a feedback email, no one bother to reply us even after giving them 24 hours.

Room Tip: Request for beach and pool view
2  Thank Sumanty T

Dear Sumanty T,

Thank you for your comments.

We are pleased to note that you liked our welcome process, room, cleanliness and staff.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience with the taxi stand outside the hotel. I am sure you are aware that this is an issue faced by all the hotels across Phuket and we are trying to solve this.

I agree that the hotel could have offered to drop you in our car but the unfortunate circumstances with the taxi union prevents us from doing so.

However, I do hope that you will understand the situation and give us the opportunity to welcome you again at Avista Phuket Resort & Spa.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at the Avista 16th - 21st February 2012. We were in Phuket for a wedding and other family members also stayed at the Avista. We loved the location, others from out group had previously stayed in Patong and said they much preferred Avista. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The meals in the restaurant were excellent and we had most of our meals there. The rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable with a huge bed. We also enjoyed drinks by the pool and were able to secure a sun lounge for a few hours on a few occasions. I also noticed the shower did run hot and cold a bit but wasnt that big an issue for me. The hill is fairly steep but my husband and I are in our 50s and it wasnt that bad that it would effect us staying again. Our group agreed we would stay at Avista again and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
TeamAvista, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

Dear MissDebra,

Thank you for your excellent comments.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your holiday and liked the location, rooms, food and staff. Your comments are a welcome endorsement of the quality of your resort and encourage us to continue to do better to meet the high standards our guests have come to expect of us.

It was a pleasure to have you and your group stay with us and all of us at Avista look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Avista for 5 nights from Feb 15 - Feb 20.

We stayed in an Avista Club Room, Room 516 (top floor overlooking pool, in direction of the beach).

Firstly the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful at all times. As mentioned earlier, the welcome drink and refreshing cold towel on arrival was a fantastic start to the stay, especially since we had just arrived from a ferry from Phi Phi, followed by taxi ride.

The Avista Club rooms are beautiful. Large, clean, modern and full of luxurious qualities such as a pillow menu, huge bed, nice balcony, large flatscreen tv & dvd player, numerous lights controlled by a central bedside panel and a lovely large glass bathroom.

The breakfast buffet was very nice. It pretty much has any breakfast food imaginable.
The chef who cooked your eggs (any type you request) was always smiling and seems to love his job. So cheery!

The pools are very nice, but if you are trying to get a tan I would suggest going to the beach (5 min walk). The numerous large trees and lack of chairs around the main (upper) pool make it tough to get sun. Rather than at some resorts having one large pool surrounded by many chairs, Avista has it's main pool with about 10 chairs on one side, and then other groups of chairs scattered around the smaller pool and it's walkways.

Swim up bar is a nice touch, and the boys at the bar were always friendly and happy.

The Resort's spa for massages is extremely overpriced compared to the same service anywhere in town.
Massages were advertised at originally 1200 BHT, reduced to 600 BHT for a 1 hour Thai massage. You could walk 2 mins to a plethora of massage services in town who offered the same massage for 300 BHT.

I would suggest the same with laundry services. The hotel charges per item, for example, 40 BHT to wash a pair of underwear (JUST RIDICULOUS).
Anywhere in town you could get clothing washed for 70 BHT/kg, or washed & pressed for 90 BHT/kg.

The consistently mentioned hill is very steep and quite significant to walk up. Without trying to sound arrogant, I am an extremely fit person (play highly competitive sports almost every night) and I'm comfortable to say it wasn't always that easy.
With that said, it is in no way significant enough to be a deciding factor in staying here or elsewhere.
There were plenty of older couples (I am 25) walking prams up the hill. Just try not to forget to do anything you need to before making your way back to the hotel.

Tuk Tuk up the hill is always an option, but 200 BHT ($6-$7 AUD) for a 2 minutre trip is simply a rip off.

The only significant negative I can discuss from my stay is our shower.
When turned to a warm setting, it would start hot and then constantly change from freezing cold to boiling hot (literally changed from hot to cold every 5 seconds).

We initially informed reception who quickly had an "engineer" come look at it. The language barrier with the engineer made it difficult to explain the issue, to the point where we had him step inside the running shower to illustrate the issue.

We were told by reception when we returned that afternoon that the shower had been fixed, however tested it and found the same issue was occurring.
This same scenario occurred 3-4 times (seperate visits from numerous 'engineers') however the shower was never fixed.

Seeing how great the service had been up to this point, I was surprised that we were never offered a different room when it was clear that the shower was unable to be fixed. Maybe the resort was full, but I doubt this was the case.

We were however (after the 4th unsuccessful attempt to fix the shower) given a complimentary meal voucher for the hotel restaurant to the value of 1300 BAHT (barely enough for 2 'mains').
This was a nice sentiment however I'm not sure it made up for 5 nights of cold showers in one of the resort's more expensive rooms.

Overall we had a lovely stay the Resort. The always friendly staff, beautiful rooms and great location (minus hill) ensured a great time.
The shower issue unfortunately has prevented me from giving a 5/5 rating, even though the staff did everything they could to try fix the issue.

2  Thank Andrew G
TeamAvista, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Andrew G,

Thank you for your comments.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and regret the inconvenience about the shower. I would like to assure you that we will investigate the issue and take corrective measures to sort this issue out. Unfortunately, we could not offer a room change to you during this period since the hotel was full.

The spa pricing may seem expensive, however, let me assure you that in comparison to similar spa's at different hotels our prices are extremely competitive. Sukko Spa, which provides service at our hotel is consistently rated as the best Spa in Southeast Asia so you can be rest assured of the quality of the treatment. All our guests have nothing but praise for our therapists. I am sure when you travel here next and stay with us you will experience the same.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We have stayed one week at Avista. The room was superb- Club room on a 5th floor with a great view over the sea. Room was clean and huuuuge. Balcony made the evenings very pleasant as we could enjoy the beautiful view over the sea.
Do not miss trying their Spa which is near their upper pool.
WiFi in the room worked quite slowly but maybe it was the fault of our devices.
Breakfast was ok but i guess it could vary more (after one week it got a little bit boring as the menu (besides of the thai food breakfast) wasn't changed).
It takes less then 10 minutes to get to the beach but on the way back you have to remember that the hotel is on the hill so save some energy :) or just take a tuk tuk to get to the hotel.
Food tips: Go down the hill and turn left- first restaurant on the right side of the street serves excellent thai food, extremely friendly waiter/owner treats you like you were at her home:)
I can also recommend Kampong Kata Hill: stylish place with great thai food

2  Thank Saimala

Dear Saimala,

Thank you for your comments.

We are glad you enjoyed your holiday with us and liked the room, spa and the friendly staff. We believe our staff to be our biggest asset who are always at hand to make sure that our guests enjoy a great stay with us.

We take your feedback regarding adding more variety to the breakfast menu and will work towards it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Chanalai Romantica Resort
Chanalai Romantica Resort
#5 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!