We stayed in the Grand Deluxe room which had one queen bed, one double bed, two basins in the bathroom, a microwave, cutlery amongst the regular stuff (like a safe, TV, fridge and so on).
As we were arriving quite late (about 1am), we had emailed the hotel prior to our arrival in Thailand to arrange for airport transfer (relatively expensive at 1500 baht) and to confirm reception would still be open. They promptly replied and ensured us we would have no problem checking in. The airport shuttle was there on time and quickly whisked us away to the hotel.
Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, offered refreshment towels and a delicious welcome drink (wish there was more!). We were taken through things like breakfast time and so on before being given our key. The only thing to note here is that the person relaying us the information only quietly told one person from our group of 6 so a few of us weren't even sure what was happening and what time breakfast ended.
The staff at he front desk in general are very friendly and always welcoming with hellos and goodnights whenever I walked by. It was always a great thing to hear. They were also very helpful in arranging the complimentary shuttles and so on. Other staff such as in the dining area and those who made up rooms were also extremely polite and it's great to see in a hotel of this size.
The rooms, however were fantastic: large, clean and modern. The beds were comfortable, the facilities great and the TV large and a great welcome after a long day outside. It was fantastic to see two basins in the bathroom but there a couple of small issues I found with the bathroom. First, the shower went extremely hot and then cold at times which is a bit frustrating when you're trying to freshen up after a sweaty day in the humid weather. Second, the blind that comes down block the view from the room to the bathroom isn't lightproof and does not cover the entire glass window, so when I needed to go to the bathroom at night I could see the light shining through onto the other person's bed and a bit onto their face. May not be the best if you are a really light sleeper. WIfi in the room is good.
Breakfast was fantastic with a wide array of food such as toasts, pastries, rice, noodles, eggs, bacon, baked beans, salads, fruits, cereals, juices and yoghurt. Service for tea and coffee is also good as they come around offering you tea/coffee and top ups. The Thai set lunch was decent value and of okay quality. Good if you're lazy to venture out but wasn't outstanding. The buffet dinner they had (which had live music and acts which was fun) was decent with a variety of offerings such as grilled fish, squid, prawns, a lad na (noodles with gravy) like dish which is cooked over a flame in front of you, larb (spicy mince pork), marinated chicken and an array of delicious desserts.
The pool (with the bar) was great and we spent hours just lazing about in the cool water. The bar is a little pricey (but expected)but is great when you just want to let your worries drift away. There is also a games room with pool, foosball and a table tennis tables. The gym seemed decently equipped, too.
The free shuttle service to Patong and Kata were also great and saved us a great deal of money given we tailored in suits in Patong. You just need to book a day or so in advance. I only wish they were more frequent but I can understand why the hotel cannot cater for this.
The steep hill could be a problem for some people but for the most part, you just need to work up the motivation to get to the top. It's not so bad after the first or second time.
The only other issue we had was that I had called up reception from my mobile phone to book a taxi to the airport the next day. They had confirmed my details (repeating them to me). When we were waiting the next day, there was no record of the booking. Luckily, the staff managed to flag down a taxi for us anyway and we were not late.
Overall, I can recommend Avista if you want to relax and stay away from the busy areas of Phuket. The staff are friendly and the breakfast is great, although the hotel can be a bit of a maze at first as there are a lot of corridors (and possibly lifts) to catch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge in luxurious accommodations at Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort & Spa at Kata Beach. Raise your vacation to a higher level and have a stunning experience in Thailand. Novotel Phuket Kata, not just any other hotels -- it stands as one of the most expressive and stylish ones in Phuket. This beautiful hotel's design itself is a splendid architectural deco-nature model of bio-regional and ecological harmony. Set against gently sloping hills, it is the perfect spot to achieve your much-needed relaxation as well as to explore the wild jungles, magnificent beaches, and exciting nightlife of Kata. The nice hotel's pool area is likewise a striking, exotic oasis of cascading royal-blue water juxtaposed against the turquoise Andaman Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avista Phuket Resort And Spa
- Avista Phuket Hotel Kata Beach
- Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort And Spa Kata Beach