“Hidden gem in Kata”

Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Adelaide, South Australia
“Hidden gem in Kata”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was my second trip to Phuket & having stayed at Surin & Nai Yang last time, wanted to try beaches south of Patong after hearing much about Kata Beach.
I chose Metadee Resort after much searching & was very happy with my choice. As mentioned by others, the position of the resort off the main road meant it seemed to be in it's own little world & none of the outside noise of Kata Beach village, which is a great bonus.
We had a pool view room which was a great size, clean & had everything we needed for a comfortable 12 night stay. The only thing I would suggest an improvement on is an upgrade on the bath towels...for a 4 star resort some were almost thread bare. But not enough to spoil our lovely stay.
The staff were friendly & helpful & the welcome at breakfast each morning certainly helped you begin your day on a happy note. The breakfast buffet was more than substantial with everything required to get the day started so you didn't need to eat until dinner.
The biggest winner is the amazing pool that went the length of the resort...always clean & warm & even though the resort seemed to be full, never over crowded or like you were encroaching on other guests space. Loved it!
It's not a long walk to the main road or Kata Beach & it was often a nice walk back after a late meal. I celebrated my birthday while there & even came home after dinner to find a birthday cake in my room! Certainly helped to make it a stay to remember & would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Victoria
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was our second trip to Phuket, having stayed at the rather quiet Nai Yang beach last year, we were wanting a busier area so chose Kata and the Metadee. I had my reservations about not staying right on the beach, to be honest - my wife and I do like our beach walks and the occasional swim. This turned out to be a non-issue as the beach was only abut seven minutes walk away and the Metadee pool is sooooo nice. We stayed for 8 nights and apart from a couple of drizzly days (which didn't worry us a whole lot in the pool....) we enjoyed great weather.

Location: down the end of a long driveway and side street that has a few shops and a couple of restaurants and the rooms of the neighbouring Eazzy Hotel. Hotel staff are only too happy to run you the few hundred metres to the road in a buggy and pick you up again. The distance to the road means the resort is well insulated from any noise from the road = good. There are numerous restaurants near the Metadee if you choose to dine out as well as 7/11 stores, clothes stores, etc. The beach nearby is pretty clean for a Phuket beach with a minimum of rubbish. So location = good.

Staff and service = we found all the staff to be friendly, polite and well presented. Reception staff were polite and businesslike. In the restaurant Mhee and Boy in particular looked after us, under the supervision of the ever attentive manager, Sebastian. Great staff, lovely actually.

Room = we had a pool access room and TBH this really made our trip. A great pool, and you are able to step off your verandah into the warmish, clean water. Our room was initially unimpressive compared to the likes of the Pearl Bed suite we had at Indigo Pearl last year and initially my wife seemed disappointed but that did not last long. Plenty of wardrobe space, a nice and spacious shower and the indoor bath and a king sized bed. 32" TV with decent reception and the wi fi worked just fine for me the whole time. The bar fridge was of an adequate size to fit a couple of 1.25L bottles of soft drink in as well as it's usual stock. I too noticed an odd stale aroma on my pillow that others have mentioned. They need to work out what's going on there. Room = good but not incredible.

Pool = a real selling point. Get a pool access room, you will not regret it. We spent hours in the pool and made many friends in this lovely pool. The surrounding gardens are lovely and well maintained. There were an adequate number of lounges given the apparent low tenancy when we were there.

Restaurant = breakfast was quite good with a good variety of cooked food and cereal, brad, cakes, juices and of course tea and coffee. We ate lunch and dinner a few times in the restaurant and thought the food was very good and well priced. Not as cheap as outside of course but still very reasonable. Breakfast and food = very good.

Bar = right beside the pool is the small bar. Drinks were reasonably priced and the cocktails we had were quite nice. More seating around the bar might have seen more people patronise it, but as it were there were only half a dozen stools at the bar. Bar = nothing special.

Spa = wife wanted to use the spa but they seemed never to answer the phone, so a nearby local business got her money.

Overall = we really enjoyed the Metadee and were happy with our choice. The pool is a huge drawcard. The location suited in the end and we were never short of things to do if we wanted. There is a small gym that won't satisfy all - but you are on holiday remember....? The staff were great, really lovely people.

There is one issue that I would be remiss in leaving out - we believe we had a theft from our room while we were at the resort. On our last day, my wife went to get some cash from her purse and thought she seemed a bit short. She thought she must have been mistaken as the purse was locked in our safe the entire time we were there. Upon arriving at our hotel in Bangkok she tallied her money properly and found that she was in fact short around 10000TBH. We went over her expenditure and this was correct - she was missing cash in the form of 500 and 1000THB notes. Not all her cash was taken, and AFAIK none of mine was taken and thankfully nothing else was missing from the safe. So we assume someone has accessed the room and the safe with a master key / card. I emailed the resort to let them know of this, I was not baying for blood and had no idea who could have done it, and in fact as we were going home I didn't even contact the Thai police. Sadly, to this date I have had no reply AT ALL from the resort, not so much as a thanks for telling them. Oh well.

We did not let this ruin our trip and we would consider staying at the Metadee again - though next time we will be more careful with our money and valuables.

Room Tip: Get a pool access room.
3 Thank goldenpath
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have always been a huge Bali fan until my stay at Metadee Resort. I and the 4 others I travelled with in September for 8 days cannot express just how brilliant an experience we had at this resort, due largely to Sebastian and the wonderful staff that work there. The Resort itself is magnificent. The pool is the best I have ever seen with it's lazy river concept leading to the main pool. My huge pool access room opened straight onto this area and was a huge bonus to just jump out the door into -wait for it-heated water! The rooms were spotlessly clean and beautifully maintained during our stay. Breakfasts to me left nothing to be desired with food to suit the fussiest eater and both the girls Mhee & Som were sights for sore eyes (sometimes hung over) in the mornings .I also must not forget Boy (Wirat) who some times laughed so much at his own lady boy jokes he would fold over! The pool bar was our favourite spot and gathering area after a trip or shopping. The boys on the bar-Ball,Golf and smiley Pot were always entertaining and Mon's Tom Cruise impersonations were something to behold (even though he broke a few things during the show!) Sebastian .or Xabi as we got to know him is a boss everyone should work for with a work ethic & humour that is unsurpassed. His theme-"Make It Happen" was a mantra that the whole staff applied, and his quick witted responses made my trip. We could not fault them; from ordering extra pillows, to booking trips, and even a lift in the golf cart up to the main road. I have never been sad to leave a hotel before ,but these people became like family to us and I can't wait to get back with my own to get to meet them. I will never forget the funny good times we had here and would encourage anybody travelling to Phuket to try this magnificent resort and experience the warmth and smiles of the Thai people. I have mentioned a few, but every single person from the maids,the gardeners ,the maintenance men and the pool staff were equally friendly. This attitude cannot be contrived, it is the natural response from a well managed,happy staff. My congratulations to the owners of Metadee ( I was lucky enough to meet the lady owner also and managed to get a plug in for Xabi!!)-you guys have got it RIGHT! Can't wait to get back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Metadee for 12 nights from 8th Sept to 20th Sept 2013. We couldn't have wished for a better place to stay with the most beautiful, friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in a pool access room and it was really very special. Upon arrival to our room they had decorated our bed with rose petals in the shape of a love heart, orchids and two swans formed from towels. This trip was very special to my husband and myself as we had been through a tough year and were looking forward to a special holiday, The Metadee and it's staff made it perfect for us. We were also celebrating a friends 50th Birthday and while he didn't stay at the Metadee he spent a few afternoons with us during Happy Hour at the bar sipping cocktails and meeting other lucky guests. The resort is beautiful, the pool is always warm and it really is something special, it's huge and you never feel like it's full of people. I could rave on about the resort but I really wanted to write this review about the staff. Thank you to all of you especially Boy, Sebasthian, Pot & Golf and the lovely waitresses behind the bar and in the restaurant. Every morning we were greeted by our names with a smile, our coffee and always a laugh or a joke. This went on every day without fail no matter where in the resort we were, from the gardeners, pool maintenance, restaurant, reception, buggy drivers and spa. I had never been to Thailand before and the people are what make it so very special and the Metadee has some beautiful people who they should be proud to call their staff. Thank you again and we will be back. To sum up our experience, the honeymoon sensation spa package was incredible, the cocktails at the bar delicious, the food at the resort very good especially the omelettes cooked for you at breakfast with your choice of fillings, coffee great, location perfect, and did I mention the staff? Fantastic.

Room Tip: The pool access rooms are lovely but I think whichever room you choose to stay in you would be happy...
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We travelled with our 2 young kids and stayed at the resort for 5 days in Sep13. It was a fabulous trip.

Upon arrival, the very polite receptionist informed us that we were upgraded to a private pool villa as the deluxe pool access rooms were full. Villa itself was big and great, however we prefer the public pool as the private pool water was too cold for us.

We have been to many resorts and this is the first one we encountered which has a heated pool. Even though it was raining every day (monsoon season), we could just stay in the pool as the water was warm, such a luxury and pleasant surprise.

Even though the resort was full house, we hardly see any crowd around or in the pool, there was absolute peace. All staff which we encountered were all very polite and accomodating, including all the receptionist and the front desk manager. So my guess is that the hotel may have changed some of the rude staff mentioned in the previous review.

Breakfast was OK but not too great, we ate all our other meals outside as there are many restaurants outside the hotel. For snacks and drinks, you could go to the 7-11 store (3 minutes walk after you turn right at the junction), it is the cheapest convenience store in the area. You could just hop on to the free buggy ride to the road junction any time. And, there is a hotel phone which you could call for buggy on your way back, this is really convenient and great for us.

The Wifi signa;

We had thoroughly enjoyed the stay here and will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Isa3535
wollongong
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Staying again in October, this will be our third visit in 11 months. This place is absolutely superb in every connotation of the word.
LOCATION: Kata Beach; in my opinion, the most BEST place to be on the island.The resort itself is down a short side street (there is a sheltered bench and intercom to front desk for a free shuttle via golf cart. The walk is probably 50 meters or so), away from the bustle of the tourists and vendors while still close to a wide variety of world class international cuisine- Capaninna Italian restaurant & Two Chefs are a must, while Natalie's is an awesome cheap snack/light dinner, and all the shopping you can think of. Awesome tattooist at "Addy's" and PLENTY OF TAILORS!

STAFF: All my trips to Phuket have always left a warm glow in my soul from the friendly nature of the people, the staff at the Metadee are warm, friendly, helpful,thoughtful and most of all HAPPY! Every experience from front desk to gardener is an absolute pleasure.

AMMENITIES: CLEAN!The resort has the most awesome sun drenched pool that extends snakelike throughout the resort and the water temp is just exquisite all the time, opening up into a massive pool and access to the fully stocked bar and restaurant. The gym room is well equipped and air conditioned for those that feel the need, a beautiful spa,family room/lounge with TV and computers etc and free sketchy wi-fi throughout (That's Phuket, but the reception here is actually not as bad as people say). Airport transfer and transport can be arranged for any or all outings via reception, who, like I said are ALWAYS HAPPY to oblige.

ROOMS:The Pool access Villas are awesome value. Opening up into the pool, they are well equipped and comfortable, clean and well stocked. The rainfall showerheads are cool!

FOOD & SERVICE: 5 STAR! Food and beverage manager Sebastian, can stand proud. The included breakfasts are delicious, incorporating well established western breakfast fare, more traditional local dishes supplemented by a wide variety of breads, pastries and fruit. All the tea, coffee, juice and water you can drink. A chef is on standby at the hot plate for made to order omelettes and replenishing the eggs supply! The restaurant menu is delicious, but Kata has some really wonderful restaurants and atmosphere it really is nice to just walk somewhere for a nice meal as well. Orders to your room are prompt and an excellent way to refuel on a lazy day! Speaking of refuelling, the poolside bar is so much fun to sit and shoot the breeze with the staff and other like guests.

Room Tip: Just grab a pool access room as a minimum! The Private pool villas are excellent though!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sodapopwollongong
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights after 5 nights in Koh Samui. We were in a pool villa, which was huge, and we spent a large amount of time in the room due to sunburn and illness.
We were met by very polite staff and taken straight to our room, where we were shown everything. The room was extremely comfortable, very quiet and nice and bright.
The showers in the bathroom and outside were awesome, lots of hot water and very soothing. The free mini-bar was a godsend, as was the re-supply of water.
I read complaint about bugs, etc in the rooms, but all we saw was 1 mosquito and a little gekko in the roof. I expected far more, but as a couple we met said, people normally only write reviews when complaining.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Metadee. Yes, it is away from everything, but that is the point. And just to cover some of the complaints:
The driveway is not that long (a 3 minute walk if that) and is totally flat. Plus the guys offer to drive you to the end and pick you up. Please disregard complaints about this, it is ridiculous.
The hawkers are not bad at all, and if you say 'no', 90% of them stop bugging you straight away. No one was impolite or forceful with us.
It is away from a lot of things, but there are cheap taxi's everywhere. We just wish we hadn't gotten sick and sunburnt, or we would have made the most of it. And the beach is a 10 minute walk away, and very nice.

All in all, we highly recommend Metadee and never experienced any of the complaints people had. The only reason for giving 4 stars is because the restaurant and spa are very expensive, but that is what resorts are about. I am yet to go to one where the prices were comparitive to the street.

Room Tip: Get a pool room for a real movie star feel.
1 Thank Tim D
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#3 of 56 in Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Metadee Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!