“Horrible service and food, great pool. Never will I visit again.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Metadee Resort and Villas

Metadee Resort and Villas
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Kata Beach
“Horrible service and food, great pool. Never will I visit again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This has been my sixth trip to Phuket since 2007. I have stayed in patong, Karon and Kata. I have come to expect a certain standard when staying in 4 and 5 star hotels in these areas and other parts of the world. The Metadee promises to deliver this on their web site and other trip adviser reviews but I can confidently say this are far from true.

When you arrive at most Thai hotels you recieve a warm greeting staff fussing over you,a welcome drink and a cool towel. The Metadee resort does none of this. The reception staff seemed to have the attitude any request was to difficult. this made simple requests due to house keepings negligence a nightmare to correct. For example fresh towels were not left in the room after it was made up, we rang to request them and were informed wait time was only 5 min... after an hour we asked again and were told 'we know you want them, you will have to wait.' The same routine was employed for three days.

Room service food was terrible. My partner fell ill from eating it, she was out of action for four days.

Some staff were amazing but sadly the majority ruined the Metadee resort experience for us. I am checking out as I write this and for the first time can't wait to leave Thailand and return home.
Metadee Resort Kata, 0 stars!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Patrick G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We arrived late after midnight by a late flight. There was no welcoming drink, towels nor whatsoever. The staff seemed not to understand one of the room of two rooms we booked through hotel.com should accommodate 3, even with the vouchers available for him. We paid extra money for the extra bed already but he still gave us a room which only had two beds (and we actually arrived in 3). The buggy service man who brought us to the room helped us call the front desk again and told us to wait. Later the front desk called again, saying that I only reserved a room for two persons and hotel.com did not give them money for the third person. And he told me to show him again my vouchers after breakfast tomorrow (so that he can sleep now??) Up to this point, my impression on this hotel had totally been ruined. Not only did the front desk staff check us in the wrong room, but also want to avoid responsibilities with a poor attitude. Incredibly, after 2 mins he called back again, saying that we were in a wrong room without apology. We were given a new keycard and then led by the buggy service man to the "right room" with 3 beds and 3 sets of everything. It was already 3 am by then.

To be fair, this is the only staff member of the hotel who I really found problematic. Other staff members were helpful and friendly. We booked pool view rooms. The rooms are just okay, with linens which are old and ants in the bathroom. The swimming pool looks nice but it needs more frequent cleaning as there were many insects floating on the surface. Breakfast.. On the first day we had milk which was spoiled. Overall, I won't recommend this hotel to anyone. To me, this is at most a 3 star hotel.

If you have to check in late and booked multiple rooms with a difference in the number of beds, make sure you have the confirmation emails with you. Be prepared to explain your bookings! Good luck!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Cindy L
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed for three nights to kickstart our holiday in Thailand in what we hoped would be relative luxury.
Positives:
The pool access room was nice enough and there were thoughtful extras, including beach bag, towels, thongs and umbrellas, waiting for use at the beach or pool.
The shower and bath tub were large and a highlight of the room and the bed was comfortable.
Location was good in terms of being able to easily walk to the beach, restaurants, bars etc without feeling as though you couldn't escape if you wanted.
Not so positives:
There were a couple of minor things which required some repair and which should, in my opinion, have been noticed by staff. The door to the deck and pool access was quite damaged around the lock area and the sliding door which opened the tub into the living space was off its rails - so it was not as pleasant in the tub.
In addition, there were several older gentlemen snorkelling in the pool which was a tad unusual and a little off-putting.
Service was responsive to requests but it was difficult to get any recommendations/advice due to language difficulties - but as a foreigner, I guess that is my problem.
There wasn't much of a pleasant 'vibe' but I wasn't really looking to be social, so all good.
Downright negative:
We ate dinner at the restaurant the first night and it was actually terrible. I have never before been unable to bite or chop (even after they gave me a knife) meat in a curry or, indeed, any other dish I can recall. It was inedible. Definitely not a good reflection on the rest of the resort. The breakfast was better - especially as they had an espresso machine you could use.
Verdict: I might stay here again but not sure that I was that enamoured with the whole tourist thing in Kata so might skip the place altogether. If you do go to Kata beach area - seriously consider Red SNapper on new Kata Rd for very fresh seafood and sashimi.

1 Thank zoz_aus
Bendigo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just looked at a couple of other reviews of the Metadee and agree with them, we stayed here on recommendation from friends and couldn't have been more pleased. If you are looking for a couples getaway near the beach ( not on it ) this is it, a 5 min walk to the Kata beach ( a safe swimming beach, small surf ) but you may not leave the resort with such a fantastic pool. The Metadee is well kept always clean and tidy with a small army of happy friendly staff that will take genuine interest in you and help you in any way possible, we also used the Spa facility on site and very much enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms at the far end of the pool will have less swimmers go by but you may hear the wate...
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Don't be put off when you arrive at the somewhat understated reception. I said to my friends, "I think you will be pleasantly surprised" when I saw their faces were a little disappointed with the initial impression. I was hoping that I was going to be correct, otherwise I was going to be in the gun for booking this place. Well the four of us loved this place, and I can tell you that my friends were more than pleasantly surprised. They couldn't stop raving about it. The staff are a group of the most considerate, polite and helpful people that you would find anywhere. The rooms are of good size, average decoration, good size bed, lovely bath, shower and toilet. If you are not thinking of booking a private pool villa, then you can't go wrong with a pool access room.....we all loved being able to walk out of our front door onto our balcony and straight into the pool. The pool is awesome, especially if you are a lap swimmer, as it is around 200 meters long. It is around a 10 minute walk to the beach, and as the complex is located down a long driveway, they shuttle you free of charge up to the main road, just as often as you like, and pick you up again on your return trip. Couldn't be better as it is very quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

From the very first moment we arrived the staff at Metadee could not do enough to help, from the cold drink and towel to the buggy ride to our room. The room was excellent, very clean, spacious and well equipped. The whole complex was very well looked after and staff worked constantly to keep it that way. The pool area was fantastic - very relaxing. There is a small gym for working off the excellent breakfasts and the whole complex was well located, no more than a 10 minute stroll to the beach. There are also many restaurants within 10 minutes or so of the hotel.
Not only does this hotel represent excellent value for money, it offers a genuine holiday experience and I would love to return, if I visit Phuket again

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are available, but our first floor room was brilliant
Incheon, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the metadee from the end of July to the second week in August and me and my wife were amazed with how good this hotel was.
Great points
1.Location- A great location, a short walk to the beach and many great restaurants.
2. Breakfast- I was very impressed with breakfast. They had a good variety of western and asian options from fried rice, noodle dishes, cereals, bacon, an omelette station and lots more.
3. Staff- The staff were always very helpful and tried to make our stay as good as possible.
4. Pool- This is the best hotel pool ever. It winds around the hotel and has really warm waterfalls at one end. It was nice to have a good area of not so deep water as my wife can't swim very well.
5.Spa- Awesome. We got the metadee package for 2 and a half hours. It was buy one get one free o the package ans was very nice.
6. Golf Buggies- They will drive you to the end of the road on the gold buggies when going out, which i found a nice touch.
7. The rooms were big and great style.
8-The hotel itself is beautiful.
My only slight concern with the hotel (and it isn't really a big issue) was the price of drinks, as it was 140 baht for a small can of beer but only 30-35baht from the shop at the end of the street. (Easy solution but your drinks here)

I would recommend this hotel any anyone going for a romantic holiday or with family.

Room Tip: We stayed in the pool view room not the pool access and before arriving were thinking about the upgr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 57 in Kata Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 829 reviews
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Metadee Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!