“Sugar Palm Grand Hillside - Not So Hilly But Definitely Grand!”

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Bandar Seri Begawan
“Sugar Palm Grand Hillside - Not So Hilly But Definitely Grand!”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Decided that rather than staying at the same hotel (i.e. Sugar Palm Resort, Kata Beach) upon my return from Koh Phi Phi, I might as well try this one out for a change. And since there are both from the same group of hotel chain and the look of it from its website (www.sugarpalmgrand.com) is favourable, I am sure I will enjoyed it.

And yes, I sure did enjoy this hotel and would have traded Sugar Palm Resort for this one should I have known it is as lovely as it is!

Before I made my bookings, I have read many reviews about how high up on the hill this hotel really is. To be honest, it's not THAT high up that you would be out of breath by the time you reach your room - unless of course you are health-challenged. Sure the hotel is on some steep slope - but think of it as your "workout" before you go bumming on the beautiful Kata Beach.

I paid the same price (i.e. 4525THB) as I had done with Sugar Palm Resort, Kata Beach but this time my room is a seaview view room minus the breakfast. The point of a holiday is to relax and enjoy yourself and for me, the idea of waking up in the early morning just to have some american breakfast is not enjoyable. A little sacrifice there for an amazing view in my room!

You can see that Sugar Palm Grand Hillside is new. The whole hotel looked like some modern condominum. The design is more into sleek and minimalist with black and white tones. There were a few infinity pools. And when I was there, it was the low season and you could actually have the pool all to yourself - which is indeed a luxury!

Check in was painless and just like, Sugar Palm Resort Kata Beach, I was welcome with some sweet fruity juice (and again, with a huge chunk of ice). The wee bit extra was that they also gave me a nice warm towel to freshen myself up. Good touch really since I was still covered by the saltiness of Phi Phi Island.

Since my room is a sea view, it was situated way up the hotel. A golf buggy can be requested to transport you up the hotel complex with your luggage.

Now...my room...it was absolutely gorgeous! Again, such a waste...the whole room all to myself! Sorry - guess it's just a guilt trip we Chinese have - something about not being good enough for something.

Now..back to gorgeous room - mini bar as usual, sitting area as usual too. But the bed is better than Sugar Palm Resort! The cotton sheet had to be at least 300TC which in itself is sheer luxury after my trip in Phi Phi. There was a dressing table as usual - but there was also a writing table overlooking the sea! Sigh! I could stay here and write many tales - I thought!

Oh! Did I mention about the LCD TV? I guess when Lonely Planet reviewed Sugar Palm Resort as having LCD TV that was strategically placed so that you can watch it from your bath tub, it was actually talking about Grand Hillside! Oh, and you got your usual bathrode, safety box and no, no slipper this one. They provide you with crocs shoes instead...oooo...

The bathroom was spacious and modern - separate bath tub and shower with the front of the bath tub walled by glass window which enable you to look into the bedroom and watch the TV.

There's also a balcony - perfect to chill out and enjoy yourself watching the sun set in the horizon.

If you like your hotel new, modern and chic, I would recommend this to you! So do yourself a favour next time - stay here! 5* hotel for a 3* price!

Again, just like before, might be worth your while to look at our hotel booking websites rather than directly through the hotel website as the rate is cheaper. I booked mine through www.latestays.com - currently there are several promotions there which gives you cheaper/special rate for Visa Cards / HSBC Cards / etc.

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/misspreciouschinadoll/blog#ixzz0viXtQkdK

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank BonnieBenjaSim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The sugar palm is on the side of a hill in the centre of Kata and is 5 minutes walk from the beach and is tiered up 10 levels and you could walk up the through the gardens and many pools to our room or take the lifts up 9 levels and walk the last.
Our room was very modern and had a swim out pool off the balcony,a very large bathroom with seperate shower.the buffet breakfast was excellent and included in our room rate of $A59.00 how cheap is that.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We booked the Sugar Palm on a recommendation from a friend and we weren't disappointed.
The location of the Sugar Palm is at the top of a hill, which can be tedious walking up after a long day at the beach but does have some fantastic views that are worth the walk. We booked a Jacuzzi Room which was on the fourth floor and it overlooked the beach and the view at sunset was phenominal. Clean and tidy rooms and cleaned everyday.
The breakfast that is included is a continental buffet downstairs. It is open until 10.30am every morning and I would advise getting down there around 9.30am so that there is fresh food out on the buffet. Otherwise the food is sitting there from 6.30am. We also found that there are a few ants running around near the pastry section. Be careful to check.
The admenities around the Sugarpalm are fantastic.....go across to the Orchid Restaurant 3 for spring rolls and Thai favourites; and get a massage from the girls at the bottom of the hill or get your washing done for 65bht.
Both my husband and I will go back to the Sugar Palm if not just the view but the attentive service aswell.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Stayed here two nights shortly after the hotel opened so there was still some finishing touches being put on the hotel, including functional lifts.

You would not choose this hotel if you have difficulty walking uphill because when the lift breaks it’s quite a climb.

The rooms were a good size with nice furniture although the bathroom walls are glass into the bedroom and the blinds were not particularly effective. The balconies also have a bath on them but be aware on a number of the lower rooms other people can see onto the balcony.

The views from the higher rooms are very nice.

Service from the staff was a little slow but on whole acceptable.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed June 23, 2010

stayed there for 2 weeks in June 2010. a great modern hotel, wanted something different to the tradional thai hotel. had 2 pool access rooms, lovely big rooms and bathrooms, with direct access into what is basically for us our own private pool and we were the only people who used it. location is great plenty of places to eat and shop without being to manic and a great beach nearby.

found the hotel staff really friendly, got a good price for both rooms so worth abit of haggling before booking. also if you have a room at the top it really is a steep climb. thought before we went it wont be to bad, but in the hot humid weather it can be a pain.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I got to know of this hotel thru a good friend of mine that raved about it. I booked it initially for 2 nights to try out, but ended up extending it for the rest of my 1 week stay. The hotel and its array of terraced pools were tastefully layout with a balanced sense of community and privacy. The rooms were done up in a modern theme which were appealing. The staff services were excellent and very accommodating. The period that we stayed was in the low season, but the overall experience was never at the low. The beach was just a stone throw away. Various good restaurants were at the base of the hill and a good thai restaurant (Orchid Restaurant) was just by the entrance of the hotel. We rented a jeep and that gave us tremendous flexibility of having a high octane night out in patong, local exploration of the town and the tranquility of kata stay. Will stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed June 5, 2010

At first, I was very concern when i booked sugar palm hillside as i travelling with two kids and two elderly. i emailed the resort to request our rooms near lift.
The resort arranged all my rooms next to the lift that make everything so prefect. We loved the pool access room. We enjoy so much. Shops only 5 mins away.
Our room is spacious with big bath tub and balcony. Breakfast is excellent.
I highly recommend to anyone for a reasonable rate with 5 star enjoyment.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family