“Value for money, but don't expect 5 star!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Palm Grand Hillside

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
aust
“Value for money, but don't expect 5 star!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here last year with our 2 young kids, we had a great time, couldnt really complain as we paid about $60 a night for a pool access room (pretty much our own pool) as nobody else was in the other 2 rooms sharing our pool.
Staff had bad english, were not helpful and breakfast wasn't anything special- but as I said you do get what you pay for a lot of the time, and in this case the hotel buildings etc were value for money in my opinion. I probably wouldnt stay here again as it was poorly managed. We stayed at Avista the year before and absolutely loved it, as the staff were great and it had a nicer interior. Overall we didnt spend a lot of time in the hotel so didnt affect our stay much anyway.

Room Tip: the pool access rooms are definatly worth the money
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank aaa1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

After spending four nights in busy Patong, we headed to Kata for a more laid back environment. We spend our remaining days in Phuket on this hotel, I found a good deal and booked it for 10 days. Having seen the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was quite convinced.

We arrived just after 1 in the afternoon and checked in. The receptionist was very brief and persistent. She seemed to be in a hurry even though we were the only guest in the lobby. No kind welcoming gestures for a ''4 star hotel'', just ''get it over and done with'' attitude along with poor English. Originally she gave us a room on the highest floor because apparently there wasn't any other rooms available. only when we insisted we didn't want it (cos it would be a trek), a room in the 4th floor just magically appear. Then the bellboy escorted us to our room.

The room was spacious and quite nice. Big bed, flat TV, separate shower/bathtub, fridge, etc.. but on the back of my mind it felt as it was unfinished, I get that the decor was trying to be modern with a touch of rustic, which in reality it was an unpainted concrete floors and breeze block walls painted in white with no flattening or plastering done to it. It looks like a construction site, the bathroom was so dark it felt like a cave and the floor felt & looked dirty and sandy at all times! (thank the housekeeping for slippers!) The hotel gave a daily free mini bar which was two bottle of water, one can of beer, one of coke and a carton of juice; which was nice but hard to share between two people :P ... The pillows were too big for their cases which made the pillows to pop out of their cases all the time, the TV cable channels wasn't working; only Thai channels were available. The two main pool was nice & clean but quite shallow. The elevator button was a touch screen but not a good one, you have to kinda punch the buttons. Apart from that the hotel itself was quite nice.

Now the staff... where to start. I don't understand why this would be a 4* hotel. If I knew the staff and service was non existent I would've gone to Hotel Ibis down the road which would provide the same service for a lot less! There was no room service, when we asked for four bowls and four sets of cutlery to enjoy our variety of Thai street food we got from the market; after 30 minutes they only come up with two plates. We gave them benefit of the doubt that they didn't understand our request so we told them again in detail what we wanted. After an hour no one showed up I got fed up so I went downstairs to the breakfast room to get it for myself and found several staffs in the lobby having a ''social meeting'' among themselves. I looked at each and every one of them in the eyes as I walked pass. After that I actually met the staff with my requested bowls at the elevator and even then they had forgotten about my cutlery!

They did not give any apologies for this inconvenience. When I requested to speak to the manager on the phone, they just gave the call to another member of the receptionist. How professional (!) Honestly the only professional and welcoming staff in the hotel was the afternoon housekeeping lady and the egg chef. Apart from that I felt a bit ripped off because I was expecting a 4* hotel with a 4* service but what I got was a 2* hotel with no service.

Mali Corp should ashamed. Invest in some proper training for their joke of a staff!

Apart from that the location was good, 5 minutes to the beach, a nice tour lady on the hill and a friendly Indian suit tailor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Shah A
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Well as my heading says you can guess which way this review will go. The positives first the room was nice but our "sea view" room was facing a construction site of a new building. Still the cleaning lady was the only smiling staff member I encountered. On arrival I checked in to the unhelpful receptionist who never looked me in the eye or even said welcome. I got my breakfast vouchers and key thrown on the table. I thought maybe she was having a bad day but the attitude ran deep through all the staff the bell boys watched as you struggled in the rain with your bags and smirked. The lifts stank nearly as bad as there attitudes. The breakfast staff were as bad no goodmorning and just lazy in there work empty trays were the norm.
As I said the staff really let this place down I wish I had listened to my gut and walked out after a day rather than stay for 5
STAY AWAY

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Breen198
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Staff: Normal. Greets you but remain quiet when not needed.
Rooms: Very large with see through glass window from the bathtub.
Swimming Pool: Cosy and private. Enjoyed my drinks there while swimming in the night. However, it is small and probably not suitable for children. And btw, if you have a room above the pool access room, you can actually jump from your balcony into the swimming pool(so its kinda pool access in the illegal way).
Location wise: You have to take a strenuous 1 minute walk up/down to reach the main lobby from the main road. From the lobby to your hotel, you need to go through a combination of elevators/hill climbing to get to your room (depending on where your room is).
Facilities Nearby: There is a restaurant opposite the hotel. Fairly large and nice. There is a massage parlor beneath the hotel (1 minute walk down). There is also 7-11 nearby within 100m of the main road. Some tour agencies are located within 150m of the main road.
Beach: A bit far from the main beach of Kata. Either a slightly long walk or maybe an overprice tuk2 might help.

Room Tip: Pool Access room is nice.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Despite the location on the map, it's actually quite near to the main road. However, you'll have to go down a steep slope on your way there or up one on your way back.

Stay in a pool access room, which is kind of like having your own little swimming pool at your backyard. Nice concept, however the water was rather stale (doesn't seem too clean, with dust on the water)

Construction is being carried out nearby, but I don't feel anything different in my room (no noise, not much dust) I personally like the decor of the room with concrete floors throughout, and the bed was rather comfy and soft very unlike other hotels I have stayed in, in Phuket.

Location as mentioned abovle, was not too bad but the hotel is at the end of a junction of the main Kata beach road. Nonetheless, you will get everything you needed within a 5 - 10 mins walk. Restaurant, coffee place, beach, mini mart, local snacks, etc.

Breakfast was mediorce, and my man at the egg station is always missing. To keep calling him out from his little comfy room at the back whenever I needed a helping of fried eggs was quite a trouble. And the spread could have been better..

Room Tip: You'll have to take 2 lifts if you stay on the higher floors. Since construction is currently ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wsinsw
Faro, Faro, Portugal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

We got no seaview... we had construction view (they were constructing a new building in front of our room). The room was a mess. Every thing was dirty. Dust, furball, etc... even cockroaches, and maybe rat or cockroach faeces. We couldn't even sleep. They changed us to other room... and again cockroach, dirty room.

The staff did nothing. Many of them neither could talk english. The breakfast was poor also, no cheese or regular ham. In the morning we had no hot water to have bath.

It seemed like a nightmare. We want our money back.

Rooms #1709 and #1805.

Rui & Denise - 30 June and 1 July

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rui C
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We mored to Kata Beach after staying in Patong for 7 nights we should of just started here.
Great hotel we stayed in the Pool access room which is well worth the extra few dollars.
Staff are helpful you are just a very short walk down the hill to the beach and shops.
The only things that need to be changed breakfast, it was the same every day no changes to the menu, where most hotels we stay in mix it up a little.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple