“Why did we not come here first”

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We mored to Kata Beach after staying in Patong for 7 nights we should of just started here.
Great hotel we stayed in the Pool access room which is well worth the extra few dollars.
Staff are helpful you are just a very short walk down the hill to the beach and shops.
The only things that need to be changed breakfast, it was the same every day no changes to the menu, where most hotels we stay in mix it up a little.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyandLinda

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights whilst travelling around Phuket and Bankok. The room that I stayed stayed in was fabulously designed, huge shower and bath, polished conctrete, not to everyones astte, but fine for me. Lovely comfy bed, but no computer in my roon as previously mentioned, but there are four computers to use in reception. Room has good products, toothbrushes etc, a safe, brollies, slippers, crocs, dressing gowns are all supplied. Fridge with water, kettle, coffe and tea supplied. There was a balcony, with a pool view and drying facilitlites. Pools are lovely, with mornings very quiet, so I chose to have three days off travelling and just soak up the sun and luxury. As others have mentioned, it is not a place for those with mobility problems or heart conditions, as, even though I was fairly low, a journey to the room involved two lift journeys and a bit of a walk. Breakfast was satisfactory possibly 8 out 10 for my travels. Staff varied between very helpful to rude. I would stay there again, but i vertainly worked off any weight gain. Be aware, that as I travelled around Phuket quite a bit, gifts were significantly more expensive in this resort, so I would shop elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask how long it will take you to get to your room and how many lifts you will need to take!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We really liked the convenience of the hotel. Although the road up to the hotel is steep, it's very short and easily doable unless you have a disability. We are in our 60s and didn't find it difficult. It is nice and quiet and the view is excellent. We thought the breakfast was OK - all the usual things like fruit, eggs, toast, etc. The decor is very minimalist, but that was fine. If you don't like polished concrete you might find it a bit depressing. The bath was nice and big, and the balcony was big enough to sit on and look at the view. The price was much less than comparable properties in other parts of the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool view room and ended up not having a swim because it wasn;t so convenient to get...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I absolutely loved my stay at this property. I stayed 7 nights in a poolside room and I enjoyed every minute. The view from the pool was spectacular and so nice to relax in after a busy day shopping or exploring and then hiking up the hill to the room. The design of the room was modern and minimalistic and the bathroom was gorgeous.
Location is great. Only a 5 min walk to Kata Beach and there are plenty of shops and restaurants only a short walk away if you dont want to leave Kata for the day.
My only negative comments are that they could have put us in a room that was not so far up the hill as the occupancy was not at its maximum and there were other poolside rooms available and the walk up to room 4204 was EXHAUSTING and the staff were not very happy when you we asked them to drive us in the karts up the hill - even when we had lots of shopping. The reception staff were also not very friendly which was disappointing.
But overall, I had a wonderful stay and I would love to go back and stay there if the opportunity arises.

Room Tip: Dont bother with getting a sea view room as there is a big building being built that will block your...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hotel is amazing value for money - the quality of decor and amenities is 4 star and we paid about £22 a night so an absolute bargain in my opinion. The location is great - a 5 minute stroll to the beach and so much nicer than Karon beach and the crazyness of Patong. There are a few nice restaurants to choose from close by definitely take a trip to the Re Ka Ta beach club right on the beach - yummy cocktails and fantastic food - pricey but worth it. My only criticism about the hotel is the fact that our room was located right at the top of a very steep hill - great views but the general layout of the rooms hasn't been very well thought out in terms of how you get to them, we had to take 2 different elevators and then walk up a very steep footpath and then take 2 flights of stairs - not ideal in the heat and humidity of Thailand! My boyfriend and I are pretty fit but even i was out of breath by the time i reached my room so i have no idea how older people would cope or families with a push chair for that matter! We didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on food, the staff were all friendly but we only spent 4 nights here as were traveling around Thailand and realistically i think that was long enough - the beach is beautiful but i can imagine you would get a little bored after a while.

Room Tip: Go to Re Ka Ta beach club and watch the sunset while sipping on a yummy cocktail!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My best friend had her wedding reception at Kata Beach and stayed here instead of the Kata Beach Resort where we were suggested to stay by the couple.
Saw some reviews and photos online, thought they looked good and decided to stay here instead since it's not too far from the beach.

I must say I really liked the decor of the hotel. Very chic and trendy and I liked the fact that the toilet and floors were not covered by some tiles/carpet and had that zen feel to it. Also the toilet is very big (with a huge toilet that can fit 2!) with see through glass of course. The balcony is attached to it's own private pool and had a nice view. All rooms come with a Mac and an Ipod Sync. I recommend this to young couples as this hotel has a sexy feel to it.

The concept of the hotel is quite complex, you'd need to take a good look at where the lobby is and if your room is at the top most level you'll have to climb up/down the stairs or slope before you can find the connecting lift to ground floor! These lifts are located at level 3 so if you're not really a hiker, ask for a lower level room because trust me the slopes/stairs are STEEP!

Anyway getting to this hotel will require some exercise because you'll still need to bypass a slope that's at least 45 degrees to get to the main entrance. They don't call it Sugar Palm GRAND HILLSIDE for nothing!!!

Breakfast is OK but I think the restaurant just next to the hotel serves better food.

I don't recommend this hotel for families with young kids/older couples for obvious reasons... And if you plan to party and get drunk, by the time you go back to your room you'll be sober!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the lower level and avoid the corner apartments if you choose the en-suite pool...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in this hotel.

Encounter one dead cockroach in the room after we checked in.
At first we thought nothing of it, so we went out for the whole day.
Upon our return at night, we saw 3 big adult cockroaches crawling around the basin and shower area!!

Called the staff, they are really poortly trained in english. They don't understand what the word cockroaches is and I have to spent 5 minutes explaining to them what is going on.

Shortly after a guy came with a insecticide, he looks annoyed and just go about his business spraying the insecticide as if that's a air freshner.

During this whole encounter : NOT EVEN A WORD OF SORRY WAS UTTERED FROM THE MANAGEMENT/STAFF.

We requested a transfer to another room, they gave us another room about 4 doors away.

They could improve by training their staff to smile more and their english.
The porter looks highly annoyed and will hang around for tips which is very annoying.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! This is the last time i ever set foot at this hotel again.

Location : 8/10
Room Cleanliness : 2/10
Room Comfort : 6/10 (air con is super powerful and blowing at ur head even at Low fan speed)
Staff : 3/10