“Luxury apartment”

Kata Gardens Apartments
Hobart, Australia
“Luxury apartment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We read about these apartments on Trip Advisor and were cautious because of mixed reviews. However, our experience at Kata Gardens was fantastic. The 2 bedroom apartment we stayed in was exceptionally well appointed. It had everything we needed in a luxury holiday home.
We stayed for a week in the spacious 2A and while it was somewhat noisy outside (this apartment is close to the road) it was non existent inside. Breakfast on the expansive terrace, swimming in the free form pool which wound its way around the complex, sleeping in the very comfortable king size bed and separate accommodation (sleeping and bathroom) for our teenage daughter (she really liked this!) were real plusses! The kitchen had everything you could expect including a wide range of wine glasses.
The air conditioning was really effective throughout the whole apartment, WiFi was fantastic, the TV including cable, HiFi including DVD, CD was also a bonus. Our contact Pin, on site manager Ya as well as security staff were all fabulous (The security staff liked to get out the golf cart and deliver us to our apartment).
Restaurants are only 200 m down the road. We had also stocked up in Jung Ceylon Big C in Patong before arriving at Kata Gardens to ensure we had some staples in the apartment.
The location is fantastic for all beach goers. We had the choice of Kata or Kata Noi Beach within walking distance of the resort (maximum 500m) although the return journeys from the beach are all uphill!
All in all a fabulous place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Barbara D

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Here now, the apt is stunning, the complex is very very quiet. We booked through the owner so got a very good rate and good communication leading up to our arrival, very helpful. Not a lot to complain about, only 4 sun loungers and 1 umbrella by one of the pools, the other nothing except a bench seat, so if there were any more than the 2 of us would be a problem. As far as I can see there might not be any other guests here, that's suits us fine, pool to ourselves. On a hill between Kata and Kata Noi, the latter beach is better has some shade in the corner late afternoon, otherwise there are wall to wall beach loungers for hire, warning though 200 batht for 2 hours. The apts are a 200 mtr walk to this beach, the quickest way down is by VERY VERY steep steps or a longer route By road, which is steep coming back. Kata beach is slightly further away but again down a hill, but not so steep. I would recommend Kata for dining out, Kata Noi does not seem to have a lot. Looks like the Russians have taken over the place.

Room Tip: I would try and book through an owner instead of the management, better communication and better rat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

What to expect

These are privately owned villas that are property managed. When we turned up it was like arriving at a holiday home that hadn't been used for some time. Every blind and curtain was completely shut however they had turned the air con on for us.
The apartment had everything we needed inc a washing machine which was handy, although each apartment will differ. There was an uncomfortably long non planned introduction to the apartment that we didn't need especially after 16 hours flying. The groceries we ordered for arrival were not there as requested however they went and found the email and got them the next day. Off the list they provided we ordered 7000 baht worth of items and got charged  over 9000 plus 20 percent handling fee. This was supposed to be at local prices however we found it much much cheaper at central festival. (shopping mall) so we don't recommend buying from them.
The location is good, handy to Katanoi beach which is much nicer and chilled than kata if you want to lay on the beach. The apartments aren't crowded so it's quite relaxing and the gym has all you need if your are creative. I personally train 5 days a week on 5 different body parts and I was happy with the equipment.
The view is average but the pool is nice and different to most, there are two pools and we spent time in the one closest to the car entry gate which is sheltered from the sun when you need it.
Being property managed had its difficulties, there was no hair dryer as stated, 2 outdoor chairs were broken and we had 3 outdoor air conditioning units attached to our room and one was unbearably noisy switching itself on every seven minutes during the night. We asked for these items to be remedied from day 2 after the first night and after standing in the office everyday for five days we got borrowed chairs and a hair dryer. The aircon unit was still not fixed, the 6th day they spent the most time on it and still couldn't sort it. They just would not listen to what we were telling them, so I demanded that if it wasn't fixed we wanted a full refund or to be shifted ( I requested the shift on day two so we could sleep and they coyld fix the problem and put other guests in there. Being technically minded myself and my mate climbed outside the apartment and switched off the outside aircon unit and jammed the switch off as it kept turning back on. This was the problem unit that we had pointed out all along belonged to the apartment next door as we had also stated yet they persisted to switch off our bedroom aircon at the switch board each day and tell us it was fixed.....this was extremely frustrating and the property manager could not shift us or offer any compensation or refund if we had moved so just consider yourself the wiser.
After we fixed our own problem the rest of the stay was great. It was a shame to have to deal with problems on your relaxing holiday and them not to be dealt with straight away as a resort would have.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank CRAIGTHEKIWI
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in apartment 5B for 10 nights in December and January.
Location is great with easy access to the stunning Kata Noi beach.
Unfortunately we had endless problems with our accommodation and found the apartment manager to be rather hopeless at resolving the problems we experienced.
The main issue we had was with a faulty air conditioning unit which was so noisy we were unable to sleep.
My husband and I endured many sleepless nights and a constant back and forwards struggle with the apartment manager to fix the problem - it never was resolved.
Not ideal when you are paying big bucks and have come away on holiday to relax!
The apartment is also a bit dated, housekeeping was inconsistent and I would recommend not utilizing their offer to purchase grocery items for your arrival. These are hugely inflated in cost. Instead grab a taxi or Tuk Tuk and head to Big C at Jung Ceylon in Patong and stock up there.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Global_Gatherer
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked from 26 December 2012 to 3 January 2013. Firstly the booking system was prompt and courteous. I booked the apartment months ahead and seemingly all was smooth sailing:) About a month out I thought it was wise to contact them regarding our booking and final payment etc. I probably emailed about five times and finally I rang about a week prior to our visit. I did finally get an answered phone, which is fine as I understand that the managers are not always at the complex. I got a lovely lady on the phone who said that they would invoice us and we would see them soon. Maybe I confused them with my phone call - but not really sure how. On our arrival, surprise surprise there was no room and we were expected the following day! I was not shocked at this as I suspected that the lack lustre management may possibly get it wrong. Anyway, after a roundabout telephone conversation - my husband saying we have the booking in front of us and the manager saying no, you are due tomorrow, the very nice lady arrived a while later (about 8pm so we were quite tired) and got us a couple of make shift rooms to tide us over till the following day. There was no toilet paper, only two towels to share between five of us with no beach towels but it was a room, and a very nice one at that. So we breathed deeply, and lived out of our suitcases till the next afternoon when they turned up to move us. We then got a 3 bedroom penthouse apartment - beautiful and with a stunning view of Kata Beach. We have been at this room for three nights with the intention of having to move today to a 2 bedroom penthouse - our choice. Unfortunately after packing, locking suitcases and filling in the day as it was our move day, I have just gone to the office to find out details of the move only to be told it is tomorrow! The positives: the apartment complex is stunning, with beautiful views, a private rooftop pool if you get a penthouse,and easy walking distance to Kata, The negatives: the misunderstandings and faffing about is quite frustrating. So yes, the apartment is totally gorgeous but having to put up with the completely bungled booking is extremely frustrating. I would recommend this place if you don't have our bad luck, but if this is a regular problem, I would recommend to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Apartment 2c and 1c have maginficent views but expect some street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Frances S
Airlie Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

What a shame I can't give Kata Gardens a top rating. They have the potential to offer so much and yet the onsite management lets them down. Initial communications when booking were at best random with many follow ups required to actually get the booking in place. That said, when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised and our two and three bedroom penthouse apartments were beautifully appointed with almost everything you would require for a more than comfortable stay. Unfortunately, the onsite management aren't really onsite and therefore you are pretty much on your own in terms of any problems / questions you might have in relation to the apartment and your stay. The security staff at the entrance are full of smiles and friendly however they do not speak any English, so they are of no help either. There is some construction work going on opposite the apartments, so the view visually from our apartments probably wasn't as pleasant or as quiet as it might have been in the past. With that all said, we did enjoy our stay at Kata Gardens and ended up working things out for ourselves because... well, we just had no choice but to. My biggest gripe and the very reason I would most likely not return to Kata Gardens is quite simply their so called onsite management / customer service. The day before departure I specifically authorised just our balance to my credit card and asked them to get the credit card details from the other two families for their apartment. On returning home, my credit card had been debited all balances plus what appeared to be an additional amount that I could not account for. I emailed them requesting an invoice so I could check how they arrived at that total. I was told I would receive an invoice via email but after many, many follow up emails and unanswered phone calls, I have still have not received anything some three weeks later. May I suggest if you want to stay in business and compete with the ever increasing array of apartment/resort options now available, you seriously look at improving your customer service both prior to, during and after your guests stay !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sunnygirltravels
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Love Kata Garden. Stayed in 6C penthouse apartment with a private pool. Management is fantastic. Mai was great and we had lunch with her. She took us to the best italian restaurant in Karon. The apartment is well appointed and quiet. Walking distance to the shops, beach and Katathani. I have recommended it to a few friends who have stayed there with their families as well and they loved it. The view is to die for. We will be back. See you soon Mai.

Room Tip: Penthouse a must.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family