“Kata Gardens Apartments - from the sublime to the ridiculous”

Kata Gardens Apartments
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked from 26 December 2012 to 3 January 2013. Firstly the booking system was prompt and courteous. I booked the apartment months ahead and seemingly all was smooth sailing:) About a month out I thought it was wise to contact them regarding our booking and final payment etc. I probably emailed about five times and finally I rang about a week prior to our visit. I did finally get an answered phone, which is fine as I understand that the managers are not always at the complex. I got a lovely lady on the phone who said that they would invoice us and we would see them soon. Maybe I confused them with my phone call - but not really sure how. On our arrival, surprise surprise there was no room and we were expected the following day! I was not shocked at this as I suspected that the lack lustre management may possibly get it wrong. Anyway, after a roundabout telephone conversation - my husband saying we have the booking in front of us and the manager saying no, you are due tomorrow, the very nice lady arrived a while later (about 8pm so we were quite tired) and got us a couple of make shift rooms to tide us over till the following day. There was no toilet paper, only two towels to share between five of us with no beach towels but it was a room, and a very nice one at that. So we breathed deeply, and lived out of our suitcases till the next afternoon when they turned up to move us. We then got a 3 bedroom penthouse apartment - beautiful and with a stunning view of Kata Beach. We have been at this room for three nights with the intention of having to move today to a 2 bedroom penthouse - our choice. Unfortunately after packing, locking suitcases and filling in the day as it was our move day, I have just gone to the office to find out details of the move only to be told it is tomorrow! The positives: the apartment complex is stunning, with beautiful views, a private rooftop pool if you get a penthouse,and easy walking distance to Kata, The negatives: the misunderstandings and faffing about is quite frustrating. So yes, the apartment is totally gorgeous but having to put up with the completely bungled booking is extremely frustrating. I would recommend this place if you don't have our bad luck, but if this is a regular problem, I would recommend to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Apartment 2c and 1c have maginficent views but expect some street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Frances S

Reviewed October 24, 2012

What a shame I can't give Kata Gardens a top rating. They have the potential to offer so much and yet the onsite management lets them down. Initial communications when booking were at best random with many follow ups required to actually get the booking in place. That said, when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised and our two and three bedroom penthouse apartments were beautifully appointed with almost everything you would require for a more than comfortable stay. Unfortunately, the onsite management aren't really onsite and therefore you are pretty much on your own in terms of any problems / questions you might have in relation to the apartment and your stay. The security staff at the entrance are full of smiles and friendly however they do not speak any English, so they are of no help either. There is some construction work going on opposite the apartments, so the view visually from our apartments probably wasn't as pleasant or as quiet as it might have been in the past. With that all said, we did enjoy our stay at Kata Gardens and ended up working things out for ourselves because... well, we just had no choice but to. My biggest gripe and the very reason I would most likely not return to Kata Gardens is quite simply their so called onsite management / customer service. The day before departure I specifically authorised just our balance to my credit card and asked them to get the credit card details from the other two families for their apartment. On returning home, my credit card had been debited all balances plus what appeared to be an additional amount that I could not account for. I emailed them requesting an invoice so I could check how they arrived at that total. I was told I would receive an invoice via email but after many, many follow up emails and unanswered phone calls, I have still have not received anything some three weeks later. May I suggest if you want to stay in business and compete with the ever increasing array of apartment/resort options now available, you seriously look at improving your customer service both prior to, during and after your guests stay !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunnygirltravels
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Love Kata Garden. Stayed in 6C penthouse apartment with a private pool. Management is fantastic. Mai was great and we had lunch with her. She took us to the best italian restaurant in Karon. The apartment is well appointed and quiet. Walking distance to the shops, beach and Katathani. I have recommended it to a few friends who have stayed there with their families as well and they loved it. The view is to die for. We will be back. See you soon Mai.

Room Tip: Penthouse a must.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Marty B
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Not the cheapest place to stay in Kata, but a favourite of ours! Been 4 years running and always had a great time! Nice apartments, staff very helpful. Going back next year! :) go for a penthouse! Fantastic sunsets!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank AnnaUAE_12
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed for 8 nights in a 2 bedroom pool penthouse apartment (2C). For our family of 2 adults and 2 teenage children aged 18 and 13 this was the perfect choice. The apartments are very spacious, have heaps of storage and come with everything you could possibly need.

The most important thing to remember is that these are privately owned apartments. This is not a resort. If you want room service, restaurants and daily housekeeping service this is not the place for you.

Our apartment was cleaned twice during our 8 night stay. The apartment was cleaned right through, bath and beach towels were replaced both times and bed linen changed once which was fine with us.

A phone number is supplied should you require extra cleaning or you have any issues with TV, in room safe etc.

The security staff were just so friendly and helpful. They speak very little English but went out of their way to help us. They met us on arrival at 8.30pm and took all our bags to our room in the golf buggy, gave us our keys and showed us where all the lights were. They always cheerfully greeted us when we left or returned to the apartments.

Apartments are in a great location. It is just a few minutes walk down the hill to either Kata Noi or Kata Beach. The walk back up the hill requires a little more effort and I highly recommend hiring a motor bike.

There is a fantastic massage shop called Tum Rub a short stroll down the hill as well as motor bike hire, taxi service, mini mart and restaurants.

The Wi-Fi in the apartment was fantastic and had no trouble coping with all our iphones and laptops logged on at the one time. Air conditioning was super efficient and TV/DVD etc all worked fine.

There is a LOT of construction going on all over Kata Beach and especially in front of Kata Gardens Apartments. We were not home much during the day but when we were you could certainly notice the noise and the view looking down was pretty ugly.

All in all I highly recommend Kata Gardens Apartments. Amazing views. Awesome location. Unbelievable space and value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shevaun
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I have been to Kata 3 times with my family and have stayed at Kata Gardens every time. The place has a great position over looking the beach. It is about 300m down a small hill to the beach.

They are just far enough away from the the hussle and bussle of Kata.

The apartments are spacious and well fitted out and furnished. The pools are great. We have booked penthouses on each of our visits so we also had a private pool on the roof. A great place to relax and watch the sun go down at the end of the day.

A tip is to book through at www.katagardens.net you will get a much better deal. This is run by Arjan and really nice guy who manages the holiday apartments and will bend over backwards to help you out.

I am not sure when our next trip to Phuket will be but I know where I will be staying

Room Tip: Book through katagardens.net. You get a better room rate. The real estate agencies add 20% book fee...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank AussieRodSydney
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We rented the 2 bedroom penthouse through www.katagardens.net and were given apartment 3C. While the apartment was really spacious, clean and comfortable, the view was something we weren't too thrilled about and the service left little to be desired.

Service: First email correspondence about grocery shopping service was prompt and quick. Subsequent emails with more enquiries about the apartment and asking for confirmation of airport transfers were all left unanswered. I had to call them. Check-in was strange. The security didn't even know who we were when we arrived. After making a phone call, they took us to our apartment and was greeted by Pin (whom I'm assuming is the agent for the unit). She just gave us our keys, told us to contact the person on the note (Arjan) if we needed anything and left for the rest of the day. We needed the wifi connection password and tried calling Arjan but to no avail. We finally found it on our own (a sticker stuck to the wifi modem). We stayed for 4 nights and by the 2nd night, we noticed there was no housekeeping and we needed fresh pool towels and toilet paper. We were surprised when we approached housekeeping and were told that there won't be any housekeeping services for the duration of our stay. I was confused since while I was researching the property, there was mention in some sites that "daily housekeeping" is available. That's when I found out that the property is not managed by one party but by several parties managing different units. That would explain why some websites mentioned "daily housekeeping" while others didn't. However, the next day, they sent 4 male housekeepers to our apartment who entered unannounced, scaring one of us who was alone in the apartment and she was still in bed. The guys weren't in uniform so you can imagine how frightening it was to be jolted awake by 4 strange men in the house in a foreign country. It would have been nice if they would at least ring the bell first and be in uniform so that we can at least identify them as staff. When we were checking out, I brought up the issue of daily housekeeping but was told that we didn't ask for it and that they would usually check with guests if they required daily housekeeping. Well, they didn't check with us.

The apartment: The apartment itself was well-furnished, nice, clean and spacious. The kitchen was also fully equipped with almost everything you need to cook and eat. The little dip pool on the rooftop was clean and well-maintained and we had a great view of the mountains where the Big Buddha rests but don't expect a panaromic seaview from this unit. And whatever you do, don't look down from the rooftop because you'll just be disappointed with views of construction going on next to Mom Tri's. Good thing the windows and doors of the apartment were fairly sound proof so we could barely hear the pounding from the construction while we were in the apartment. The air-conditioning though is excellent! Worked really well and was a welcome relief on hot sweltering days.

Location: Great location albeit some steep slopes to manage. Short distance to the beautiful Kata beach and the town area where there are plenty of eateries, massage places and shopping. A short ride to restaurants perched on top of a cliff overlooking Kata beach where you can enjoy gorgeous sunsets. We frequented Tum Rub Thai Massage which is located just a short 3-min walk down from the apartment. Rent a scooter if you can for the convenience of traveling and exploring Phuket.

To conclude, if we were to come back, we will not book through katagardens.net. The stay would have been amazing if it weren't for the terrible lack of service.

Room Tip: If you're looking for sweeping ocean views, try scoring penthouses from 4 to 11. Look for sites...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
#18 of 56 in Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Kata Noi Beach

Been to Kata Gardens Apartments? Share your experiences!