“Fantastic food and setting”

The Boathouse Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 168 Restaurants in Kata Beach
Cuisines: French, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Whether your palate prefers authentic Thai culinary traditions or sophisticated Western cuisine, savour leisurely lunches and fine dinners in our refined yet relaxed setting directly on Kata beach. The proud recipient of the “Best of Award of Excellence” from Wine spectator every year since 2006, the Boathouse Restaurant has been synonymous with fine cuisine in Phuket for almost three decades. The gastronomical excellence of the haute cuisine is further enhanced by the restaurant’s idyllic setting along Kata Beach with its stunning panoramic views. Indoor and outdoor seating options are available with a different dining experience wherever you choose. Our regular guests from around the world consider this one of the most romantic memories to be made in Phuket.
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We ate in this restaurant one night when on holidays in Phuket. The restaurant is really lovely and elegant. We ate outside overlooking the beach. The setting was really spectacular. The food was unbelievably good and the wine was excellent. The service was great also and we had a lovely waitress. There was a French jazz duo playing and they were fantastic, everyone was up dancing after dinner! My one criticism was the price, it was very expensive, however it was nice for a treat for one night.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had a quiet night out and wanted to have a nice meal. The location is beautiful as we were sitting on the terrace few meters from the sea.
The food was good and very friendly service. They have a very big wine list, and were recommended a wine which matched perfectly.

It is not the place to eat at everyday, but to make a special evening during your holiday.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We visited the Boathouse on two successive days for different occasions and activities. On the first day we attended one of their cooking classes which was a great experience. We were taught to carve vegetables and completed a five course meal which we could eat after each course was completed. Although I was a bit frightened by the menu in the beginning, due to not being too fond of fish, the food was delicious and we all had a great time. The class is quite thorough, but do not expect either to be taught the very basics, or the trade secrets. It is for people with moderate experience in the kitchen, so most mums will find it enlightening, but basic.
On the following day we attended the Lobster Easter Brunch. Where I come from Lobster is extremely expensive and rare to find, to the tune of about 15-20 Euros per 100g. The primary aim on our visit was to enjoy as many as we could (although neither I nor my fiance eat very much). When we arrived the buffet was quite rich with crabs, oysters, prawns and other side dishes. We also placed an order for two lobsters when we arrived and had to wait a whopping 45 minutes before we received only one, cut in half to share. I was not impressed and went to order another as I was not going to wait another 45 minutes for another half. When I went to the grill to order, the chef had one lobster on a grill that could easily accommodate 10-15. In the end we shared 3 lobsters which I was not very happy with and it was clear the staff was dragging their feet to avoid giving out too much. When you have paid the equivalent of 140Euros for a meal for two, it's not often you get this kind of treatment. I was not happy, but the champagne, the atmosphere and the company won me over. They also had a fantastic band playing some jazz and this really made for a paradisiacal experience. I'm not so sure I would have been this lenient on a restaurant had it all not worked well together.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This restaurant is not cheap for Phuket standards so when you visit you have an expectation. We were greeted and seated in the restaurant overlooking white sands. The day was divine.There were only four people (inlcuding us) in the restaurant. More staff than guests.

I had previously viewed their menu on line and decided what I was going to have for lunch. To my suprise the menu online and the one they presented where very different. Very dissapointing.
Cheese souffle - lack lustre, needing salt and pepper to increase the flavours. The portions used for the bowl it was cooked in was insufficient. Smaller bowl would have worked.
Fioe Gras Spaghetti - sensational. Flavours divine with a substantional amount of foie gras.
Lobster Tartine - lobster coated in mayonaise with specks of avocado and tomato. Spread over a slice of bread. Terrible. Terrible terrible
Apple Tart Tatine - one whole apple placed ontop of soggy pastry floating in a sweet sauce. apple inedable, rock hard. The pastry was so soggy that you used a spoon to break it apart.
Chocolate Fondant - this was actually a chocolate cake with a couple of pieces of chocolate in the centre. The chocolate flavours were present and were delicious but it wasn't a fondant.
Service was appauling and the food not worth the price of 5,800 baht.
They get special mention for the spaghetti and view but that is it. Truly a very dissapointing afternoon. Quite happy to spend this type of money for outstanding food and service but would not return .
My advice would be to look for other restaurants before making your way here. Took us 45 minutes drive to get here and I really wish I hadnt.....

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Boathouse was recommended to us as "The Ultimate Dining Experience". We were not disappointed, although it was a little more expensive than expected. However the meal, we both chose the French Set Menu, was excellent, our table on the terrace gave us a wonderful view of the sunset, and the service was outstanding.
Booking, per email was very easy and brought a very prompt response.