“great spot”

Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Beechworth, Australia
“great spot”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Spent a week here in July. The sea was too rough and we avoided the beach but we made full use of the pool in front of our pool access room with our daughters in the adjoining room.The rooms were comfortable but would be improved with insect screen doors as we were either indoors with air-conditioning and cold or outdoors on the pool deck and too hot, a natural breeze through would have been good but our daughters complained of mosquitoes if the doors were open. It was great location with a wide range of shops and restaurants just outside the front gate,after all why travel all that way to spend all your time in a westernized resort

Room Tip: Ask for deluxe pool access rooms, they are quiet and we didn't use the big resort pool at all
1 Thank beech57
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay in the Pool Access room. We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Andrew A. Swatdipakdi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Kata Beach Resort

Location 10 out of 10 - Best located resort in Phuket, right on the beach. Couldn't ask for a better location. For this reason, I will stay there again.

Service 6 out of 10.

Most of the time, service was ok, but a few things disappointed me. One time I asked the reception if hey had a dvd player to hire. The girl said no, but the tv's had a movie channel. I asked what channel. Her reply was "I'm not sure". I said "Can you find out?". She said, sorry I'm knocking off in 10 minutes???

Unlike the staff at Centara Karon, the staff seem to avoid creating their guests. It seems they avoid talking to you as you go past in the hall way.

The gym was stinking hot, and there was rarely any staff there. Barely any equipment. The fridge that said "Free bottled ice water available" was always locked. The one time there was a staff member there I asked if she could unlock it, she said "Sorry I haven't got the key". That was it. No, wait I`ll get that organised for you.

All the restaurants, shops and bars within the hotel were empty. Probably because they were all 3 to 4 times dearer than the shops outside the hotel.

Breakfast was included. Times were from 6:30 to 10am, but if you arrived after 9am, you got the dregs.

Don't ever accept the staffs offer to organise a taxi, tuk tuk or bus from the hotel because they'll charge you at least double of what you'll pay out the front of the hotel if you organise your own transport.

I gave the porter a good tip when he delivered our bagagge to our room on day 1, so I thought I could probably rely on him to lok after us. Instead I think he thought that we could easily be ripped off, and after a few offers of very expensive taxi rides I decided not to trust him, and organised my own travel around the area.

The cleaning ladies that tidied our rooms every morning did a great job.

Like I said, I`d still stay there again because it is the best location. Its within walking distance to everything. The beach is great, good for surfing and the pool area sits directly over the beach too, BUT I wouldn't uses the resorts facilities or expect the staff to look after you.

1 hour to airport which I paid 900 Baht for taxi. (if you walk out front 50metres)

Staff will organise taxi for 1800 Baht for you.

Room Tip: You cab choose a room with beach views which in my opinion are worth the extra $$$.
2 Thank Coastrunners
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and please accept our sincere apologies if we have overlook certain areas. It is comforting to know that you will be returning to Kata Beach Resort again.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Spent a family holiday at Kata Beach Resort on an 8 day package deal. Thought the deal was pretty good. Having 2 teenagers we opted for two adjoining rooms. These were deluxe rooms and were quite acceptable and comfortable. Both had fabulous views overlooking the pool and the beach.
In this day and age all resorts should have free and unlimited wifi, especially given every little business in Thailand hands it out willy nilly to its customers. The wifi at the resort was only available in the lobby and at best was only barely acceptable in certain spots. For 700baht I could have purchased a weeks worth but it was the principle of it that I didn't purchase it.
Staff were relatively friendly and courteous. Breakfasts included were great and the surrounds very neat.
It's position right on the beach is superb so the choice of pool or surf was always available. During our stay the military moved in and dislodged all the beach vendors and beach chairs leaving the expanse of beach pristine and clear but unfortunately a little devoid of atmosphere in my opinion. I liked the vendors and chairs. They were cheap and you could get a beer, cocktail, ice cream or soft drink for half the price of the resort pool bar.
I would say that the resort probably is in need of an update but all in all we loved our stay in Kata Beach. We never ate there as local restaurants abound at far better prices which is what Thailand is famous for.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Damien B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and took the opportunity to enjoy the local eateries. we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week at the beginning of July. Anyone giving this place a poor review is just a complete baby whiner. If you are from Australia you will love it.

Best bits are the immediate beach access, pool and pool bar, nice buffet breakfast selection and vicinity to shops, restaurants and corner stores. All staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed in the pool access room and highly recommend to couples as lovely to be able to enjoy swimming without screaming children around. Also has spa jets in it. Thanks Kata!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Aussieguy91
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed at Kata a Beach Resort and Spa as friends were at this location. I do like to head off the main island to smaller less crowded areas but for families it has great facilities, breakfast fab and beachfront. The military has removed all the vendors from the beach allowing better views and less rubbish I hope as would be great if this could improve!

Rooms good, clean if you like hotel style! Shopping and busy road out front!! Plenty of restaurants cafe opera awesome singing and great food

Room Tip: Probably a Seaview overlooking the pool
2 Thank Corinnes23
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delight to hear that the family had a pleasant stay and thank you for your kind words. The beach now looks beautiful and will improve when the summer approaches. We look forwards to welcome you back to Kata Beach Resort & Spa.

Menzies Creek
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Ok.... so I will admit I was very dubious about booking this resort after reading all the bad reviews, especially with 12 of us traveling (2 x families of 5 and us a couple) but so glad we did.

I really don't know what people are complaining about and here is my run down on the resort

* Location
Can't beat it. This place is right on Kata Beach & gets the most beautiful sunsets. Beach when we went does have a strong under-current but hey, just swim between the flags like you would at home.
It is walking distance to 7-eleven for general needs, family/couple style restaurants, shops, places for massages... the list goes on. We could easily get anywhere we wanted to within walking distance or short tuk-tuk ride. Our friends had teenage kids and they could go shopping by themselves and know they weren't far from the resort.

* The resort
The pool is big, fantastic and great for families! The grounds are cleaned every morning. The pool bar, pizza/pool food service and breakfast are great. Breakfast had something to cater for everyone (gluten free, vegetarian, European, salads, hot/cold brekky). Can't comment on the dinners as we didn't eat here... cheaper on the streets and we wanted to see Kata.
The staff were very helpful and if they didn't know/understand you, they would find someone who did. Yes there is a language barrier but what do you expect? Certainly not enough of a barrier that we couldn't enjoy ourselves and communicate.
The wi-fi isn't free (you can get a free period for "liking" on social media" but for around $25 for 7 days, we didn't mind paying and the coverage was great.
People said the hotel decor is dated.... yeah it is a little bit but who goes on holidays to pick on decor? Who cares what the decor looks like.

* The Rooms
Our friends and their children were in deluxe rooms and my husband & I were in a sea view deluxe room.... apart from the sea view, there was no difference and no complaints from anyone in our party.
I read a lot of bad reviews about musty/moldy smelling rooms, dampness, dark, old etc etc.
For me... I am not going to spend my days in my room so a room is a place to sleep at night and needs to be comfy & clean. The rooms ticked all those boxes
As with all hotels, the air-con only works when your room key is inserted so yes... when you first check in / arrive home, your room may smell a little musty, mirrors fogged up, things slightly damp... but it is the tropics and that is what happens in the tropics when you aren't running AC all the time and understandably they don't want you running their AC 24/7 as all hotels don't.
The room decor is fine and well chosen to match a beach resort.... if you want some sort of 5-star luxury decor/marbling you are at the wrong resort. The beds are huge, clean & comfy. They are cleaned daily. The hot water is perfect. You are provided free bottled drinking water every day. There is a mini-fridge, cable tv (if that's your thing), drawers, safe, free gowns/slippers to use, beach towels. I honestly couldn't fault the room but if you want me to pick one thing... my husband said the AC was too noisy at night. There... one fault.

All in all, this resort is a great couple / family resort. We had a great time, loved the resort and will definitely be back there again.

Ignore the negativity and go see for yourself. It is fantastic

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank MenziesTreen
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for going at great length with your input and thank you for your kind words. We are delight to know that you all enjoyed your trip.

We look forwards to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Travelling out to Thailand for the first time, it was important that the family (7 of us) booked a good place to stay. We were attending another of my son's wedding at a different hotel.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted warmly by reception, checking in without problem. We had deluxe poolside rooms which were clean,big, adequately equipped, if a little dated in decor. They were cleaned daily. Hotel was clean, staff were friendly and helpful. Pools were clean and safe. Beach was a minutes walk away via steps from hotel, beautiful, and sea was manned by lifeguard as tide was variable. Breakfast was plentiful and catered for all nationalities. Only ate dinner once in hotel- food adequate.Plenty of restaurants ( cheaper) / bars and shops outside hotel.
We had a great time at this traditional Thai style hotel and would definite return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sue B
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your first trip to Thailand and look forwards to return in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Chanalai Romantica Resort
Chanalai Romantica Resort
#7 of 56 in Kata Beach
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Kata Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!