“Disappointing!”

Kata Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed there 3 years ago and on arrival noticed straight away that the staff at the front desk were more fluent in English this time round which was very helpful. Unfortunately that was about the only improvement at the hotel! The gloomy hotel lobby is screaming for an uplift and the corridors desperate for some more lights! Kata Beach Resort has a gorgeous and privileged spot right on the beach but the rest is a huge disappointment! The corridor leading to our room had a permanent stack of dirty laundry on the floor as well as a mattress leaning against the wall for the whole of our 6 day stay! It made us feel we were in a dodgy hotel… The room was ok but we had two single (a very hard) mattress put together, which was very uncomfortable. Pillows were too big to my liking.

Some of the staff at breakfast were quite impolite, showing they were annoyed when asked for a spoon or a knife! Totally unprofessional, these staff should undergo proper training on hospitality! Most shockingly, to wipe his sweaty forehead and face we saw a waiter put his head on the pile of clean towels at the towel booth by the pool, right in front of everyone! This is totally disgusting! The water in pool was dirty with small particles of tissues and strands of hair, not sure if the filter was broken but surely this is not right!? This was fixed after two days and you could tell the difference…

Food at the pool was nice though but the cocktails were absolutely tasteless and there was no music at the pool bar. We heard a few people asking and all they got was “music player is broken…” not good enough for a resort!

However, I would recommend the spa where I had a beautiful massage, in peaceful settings with nice background music. The therapist was absolutely professional and caring. We also enjoyed the cheaper massage under the kiosk in the hotel gardens.

All in all, Kata Beach Resort you need to lift up your game!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mikika8888
There are newer reviews for Kata Beach Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and l have just arrived back today, and what can l say it was amazing, the Resort has everything, great views right by the beach, the staff are fantastic, the food yummo, try the restaurant right by the pool :) Rooms where kept clean, recommended you book your tours with the resort. Kata itself has everything you will need if you don't want to venture to far, try the Two Chefs just around the corner, but there is so much choice.one thing to be aware of and it is not just at this resort it is every, you have con men, usually 2 on a bike, they ask if you speak English, they always target couples, they hand you to cards to open the second card is usually the big winner, but to get your prize you have to go with them, they will waste half your day as they want you to buy time shares and the prize, well good luck getting it, apart from that l can't wait for our next trip, and l would stay at the same resort, thanks for a great time:)

Room Tip: Stayed in room 2303, which is right on the front, fantastic views & a nice breeze on the balcony...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at Kata Beach Resort and Spa (KBRS) in a Deluxe Room (2225) with balcony overlooking the beach for a week from 19-26 July 2013. This was my first time in Thailand, so I speak from a newbie perspective. I traveled alone and chose this location mostly for the proximity to the beach for surfing, as well as the Bikram Yoga studio only a two minute walk from the hotel. Overall I would give this hotel an acceptable rating, and this is coming from a guy who lives in a Radisson Blu hotel, and have stayed in hotels over 400 nights in the last 2-3 years. There wasn't anything truly outstanding about KBRS other than the location, nor was there anything absolutely horrible. I was a bit leery based on the trend of negative ratings given by others on the staff being unfriendly or unhelpful, but found this absolutely untrue. Practically all of the staff I encountered either in passing or at the front desk greeted me with a smile and a hello. The woman at the guest relations desk was always very helpful when I asked her questions about things, even taking time to draw out little strip maps for me with directions.

Pros:
Location: You are literally right on the beach with views of fantastic sunsets and able to hear the sound of the waves from your room (providing you have a room on the water side)

Staff: Everyone from the guards out at the front gate, to the front desk, guest relations, housekeeping, laundry personnel, and bartenders were within what I call acceptable hotel industry standards. The guards at the front gate were especially friendly, always giving a friendly salute when I returned to the hotel. At times it felt like I had made it safely back to my embassy or something, but I'll get to that later.

Price: I paid 27337Baht ($875USD) for 7 nights in a Single Deluxe Room, which included breakfast. I booked under their advertised "Surfer Package." The rate didn't include anything related to surfing such as lessons or rentals, but I didn't need the former and the latter is dirt cheap (250 Baht for 2-hrs) just down the stairs on the beach.

MInibar: The prices were actually pretty good considering most hotel mini bar prices. I remember it being 120Baht for a Singha and 70Baht for a bottle of Evian water. Of course things are much cheaper right outside at the 7-11, but who wants to spend the time and energy doing that for a convenient bottle of water at midnight?

Laundry prices: My advice is to do all of your laundry at the hotel. It's easy, convenient, and pretty cheap.

Housekeeping: They always did a great job on my room. I would offer they need to provide more towels in the rooms. In fact, wash clothes were never stocked in my room, only two bath towels, two hand towels, and two robes.

Cons:

Food: I only at breakfast at the hotel and the food was simply uninspiring. Matter of fact I only felt the urge to get up in time for breakfast 3 of the seven days I stayed there just based on that fact. My advice, if you want a great cup of coffee head to the Black Canyon Coffee place a minute from the hotel. (Head out of the hotel, take a right, and then another right)

Taxi prices: They wanted 1950 Baht to book me a taxi to the airport. You can walk out of the hotel, take a left, and hit that taxi stand a couple blocks away and get one for 900 Baht, which is what I did without any problems. I told them when I wanted the taxi, the time, and where to. Bam, done, easy!

Motorbike parking spaces: This was simply chaotic, but fairly I must say that's pretty much the norm for Thailand.

Room temperature regulation was difficult. The housekeepers would always turn off the A/C, which left the rooms really musty and humid when I returned. That's another thing now that I remember it, the musty smelling room. I submit this is mostly because of the climate, but still, the hotel should do more to prevent this from invading the rooms.

I didn't use the Spa, tours, or in house restaurants. (All are available within a minute of the hotel and for a fraction of the cost.)

I hope this helps some of you. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. Have a great trip!

Room Tip: A deluxe room with balcony is a must. No need for one of those grand pool rooms in my opinion
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Kata Beach Resort and Spa for 10 days in July. We were a bit dubious after reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews but we found the resort to be very good. We stayed in adjoining Delux Ocean View Rooms on the 4th floor. The view from our room was fantastic. I have to say that if I only had my room to review I would think the rooms were mediocre. There was no guest directory and the shower was very low pressure. The air conditioning was also very loud. However my daughters adjoining room was everything you would want in a room. The gym was very good and so were the breakfasts. I have read a lot about the unfriendliness of the staff and in particular the pool staff. I have to say I agree with this. The pool staff make no effort at all to make your holiday a positive experience. They do not come around the loungers to see what drinks etc you may want and when you do go up to get a drink it seems as if you are disturbing them and they look very grumpy. However, it didn't stop us from having a good time. We got the My Time "Pay for 15 and get 20" cocktails and even though it is cheaper to buy them on the beach, it is nice to be able to sit in the poolside bar or lounge around the pool with a cocktail. Helery on Guest Relations is very good and will help you with anything. We didn't try the Spa as they were very expensive compared to a couple of great Thai Massage places across the Raod. All in all, I would recommend Kata Beach Resort & Spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a Delux Ocean View Room on the 4th Floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is really nice, have a wonderful swimming pool and a perfect location facing the ocean, the food and drinks are good, and the price too.
The service was friendly and the spa and health club is perfect, the only thing that we didn't like was the smell of humidity in the room and that we have to pay extra the Internet per night, the hotel is quiet old and the maintenance is not the best!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Wonderful situation for resort.
We had booked a pool access room when we arrived it was very musty smelling and mouldy marks on ceiling. We couldn't stay in it. We requested another pool access room but it was at the back of the hotel so eventually settled for a beach view room. Which was fine. The head receptionist was very rude when we were trying to sort the room problem and wasn't very helpful.
The whole resort needs updating.
I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: If your getting a pool access room ask for one at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Location one of the best. Buffet breakfast is delicious (although you have to put be at sunrise to get a nice table). 99% of guests were rude and obnoxious. Totally ruined our stay there. Friends stay there in July and have said these type of tourists are not here during that time of the year. They really ruined our stay - from taking up all of tables with their bags, cameras and junk (one person would sit on a table of 6 throughout our whole breakfast) to not having one day where we got a pool deck chair (again they put their towels down and then in 3 hours nobody uses the chair). They abused the poor staff and were just generally rude. We topped our staff off by being advised there would be plenty of taxi availability at 4am by reception staff. At 4am there was not a sole on the streets, let alone a taxi. After stressing to the staff we would miss our flight, they eventually rang a taxi and charged us 1800 BAHT paid direct to the hotel...... Great customer service! Oh and you have to pay for wifi.

Prior to staying here, we were at Malisa Villa Suites. It is the BEST place ever. Pure luxury and beautiful staff.

• Stayed: January 2013
#5 of 56 in Kata Beach
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Kata Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!