“Indulgent beachfront location”

Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Jindabyne, Australia
“Indulgent beachfront location”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My 9 yr old son and I treated ourselves to a 5 night stay in november 2011 after a previous trip to kata beach where we stayed at Kata Palm Resort (mentioned in comparison in this review). The hotel was everything we expected, great facilities, fantastic pools and pool bar/cafes, restaurants etc. Rooms are modern, clean and quiet. there are a group of pool access rooms that open onto a very narrow, shallow strip of water (the pool?) and have a tiled sunbed to lay in the water on. After staying at the Kata Palm Resort in a pool access room, I was very surprised by these 'pool access' rooms in comparison. If I had paid for one, I would have asked for a refund. Staff were friendly only after becoming familiar with us, the security guard was hillarious, saluting us each time we came and went. Big pluses are the location, right on the beach where you can sit on the terraced poolside area under palm trees gazing out to the Andaman sea. Bliss. Great wood fired pizzas and an amazing breakfast buffet - anything and everything was available. It really was good value. On our last day, due to a late flight, we were able to use the showers in the gym to freshen up and change before departing. We were grateful for this as we had spent the afternoon at the pool. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Beachfront views are magnificent, pool access rooms - dont expect a pool that you can swim in.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank JindySuzanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for the cheap part of our honeymoon. We chose the hotel because we could get a good price, and the location is fantastic. The hotel is right on the beach with direct access for guests. There is also an excellent pool with heaps of deck chairs and a swim up pool bar (my favourite).

The hotel lobby does feel a little dated inside, a tiny renovation would spruce things up. Lobby staff were OK, a little slow at times but friendly. The rooms are pretty standard and kept clean. Breakfast is nothing special, but the location is nice. We didn't try any of the other hotel restaurants as there is just so much good food to be found outside the hotel in Phuket.

We highly recommend this hotel based on the beach location and pool. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beach view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GandGperth
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I came to Kata Beach Resort with a girlfriend for a nice, relaxing girls trip. We weren't looking for anything too fancy, just comfortable, convenient, and relaxing. We did extensive research and inspected all the photos and reviews and landed here.

Pro's:
- Beach Access / Great location right on the beach.Along with a great pool. It was really important to me that our resort be on the beach, not across the street or anything which would require much walking to-fro the beach as I knew that my vacation brain would require me to have quick and easy access to my hotel room for forgotten things or a quick rinse. Beach massages, beach drinks, food, ska bar are all at the end of the beach which is is a 5-7 minute walk from the Kata beach. SO convenient and picturesque.
- Restaurant Access / Lots of little mom + pop type touristy restaurants with local + "american" food readily available and abundant. I would say that there was a lacking of upscale restaurants, and the closest one was at a resort down the street.
- Resource Access / Little supermarkets, 7-11, taxi stands, food carts, massage salons, knick knack shops are also in abundance right outside of the hotel.
- Clean room

Cons:
- Overall, I felt like this hotel was shabby, outdated, and leaning way too much on its location to be the attraction. This hotel could be an outstanding 5 if they stepped it up, but outside of the location, I would give this place a flat average, and possibly dipping below average.
I felt like everything was so carefully rationed and closely watched at this hotel, which I didn't like at all. You're only allowed to have 1 beach towel a person to use at a time, and only 2 thin sets of towels within your room. Breakfast buffet was really limited and cheap feeling, the juices diluted, even the fruit options weren't expansive. I left every morning feeling full enough, but completely unfulfilling and unmemorable.
- We checked out the dinner buffet which looked equally as dressed up but lacked the substance of what looked to be good food, with effort behind it. We actually had MUCH better food on John Gray's Kayak Tour where the food was prepared on the boat by the deckhands! Food options here are extremely lacking.
- No free internet / weird payment plan. You can buy wireless internet service with prepaid cards which come in the denominations of 2 hours, 1 day, or 3 days. I felt like it was a really strange way of offering the service and I believe its outsourced. Maybe the data/bandwidth is lacking in this area to offer regular service to hotel guests for free, but I felt like the way it was offered was just really inconvenient and limited. So if you had 2 laptops in your room, and you buy 1 card for 3 days, only one laptop can have access to it.

Overall, this place is a great location. The room is clean, staff is polite, beds are comfortable, rooms are cool and non-muggy, the pool is nice, you have access to a lot of resources right outside of your door, the rooms are reasonably priced (we booked on Agoda), but don't expect to feel pampered or pockets of surprise. :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ROAMEStudios
Sydney
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My wife and I are 30 year plus veteran travellers to Bali but due to over pricing and commercialism in recent years decided to spread our wings a little further and split our time between Phuket and Bali this holiday. Being a surfer (old), our criteria for accommodation has always been beachfront with some waves. Kata Beach Resort (in September/low season) was perfect. On the beach, close to restaurants, shopping, convenience stores and money changers. If the desire arises, the madness of Patong beach is 20 minutes along the coast road to the north.
Kata beach gets some fun waves on a sloppy beach break this time of year (September). Would I pay high season prices? No way, but at $AUS 85/nite low season, Kata Beach Resort was better value for money than many resorts I have stayed at in Bali, and Bali is supposed to be cheap?
We had a Deluxe Ocean Front room which had a bay window/ daybed setup which gave the room a more spacious feel and was perfect for late afternoon drinks looking out over the Andaman Sea when the weather was less than perfect for the balcony. My only minor criticism with the room was that the beds are very firm which apparently is typical for Phuket hotels. A few drinks at night seemed to soften the mattress. Also on drinks, the Bar fridge was inefficient and barely kept drinks cool, this problem was solved with a bag of ice purchased from 7/11 across the road for 7 Baht.
Reception and Tour Desk was always obliging as were all hotel staff. A smile and a please and thankyou with enquiries usually bridge the language barrier satisfactory.
Breakfast has a good selection and is the usual Buffet style with egg station that caters well for both Western and Asia tastes. This was the only meal we ate at the hotel as there are too many good cheaper restaurants within walking distance just outside the hotel entrance to be enjoyed.
Like most resorts you have to be early to gain prime pool lounge position along beach front area, however getting a lounge in the general pool area was never a problem. The atmosphere around the pool was always pleasant with a good mix of nationalities.
The best endorsement I can give Kata Beach Resort is that we have again decided to split our holiday between Phuket and Bali for September /October 2012 and the accommodation is already booked and confirmed. Need I say more?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SydneyOldboy
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2011

After 7 nights at The Avista moved to this hotel for 2 nights, this hotel cost us twice more per night to stay compared to the grand deluxe at The Avista. Check in was sign here sign there your room is on the fourth floor. We had to ask how to get to the room, we were shown the lift to take from a distance. The "bell boy" always has a disgusted look on his face and waited and waited for a tip. Now for the SUPERIOR room, it was the tiniest hotel room I have ever entered, smelly, 4 rooms down along the corridor from the street behind the hotel.Furniture so dated I would throw away rather than donate to the op shop. 300 bucks a night??? We thought 2 nights in a great location..we will survive. But the aircon didn't work properly, and we soon realised we were going to hear all the street noise, may as well be sleeping on the busy street behind the hotel. I went to complain about the noise in the middle of the night and to their credit was moved to a nicer/bigger and quieter room. Air con still didnt work properly. Next day at breakfast realised service was non existent. The staff in the breakfast area were in a group chatting away and laughing but not willing to acknowledge your presence. You help yourself to food, get your own coffee and if you are lucky your used plates may be cleared.
On the plus side right on the beach, but then again be careful what you wish for, all the sunbeds by pools are reserved by 7 am, the whole beach including in front of hotel is jampacked by 11 noon. I prefer to stay in a quiet hotel with pleasant service and walk a few minutes to beach.
We-sister and myself- had a nice kanda aroma massage at the spa, so next day decided to book a 2.5 hour package, cost us almost twice as much as the 1 hour 20 minutes massage we enjoyed. What a let down, the same massage girls, but they were chatting between themselves on off from the start,even chuckling away, at one point I had to open my eyes , turn to one masseuse for her to shut up, massage was disjointed like she was carried away, at one stage we were asked to have a shower and wask our hair-she used oil for the massage including on the scalp. We were left with some tea to sip afterwards. I then realised it all lasted about one hour 40 minutes only. Given we paid double for only an extra 20 minutes I decied to let them know. I found the 2 masseuse and spa reception girl sitting in a room on the floor chatting, talked to them and was told it was not over yet. okay... We were led to the same treatment room, told no need to get changed when we proceeded to change room, we asked to sit on the beds and were given a 5 minutes scalp massage that was painful for me on half dry hair.
It was meant to be one hour massage for back/shoulder, half hour for the scalp, one hour foot massage. Nothing to do with us being "my time clients", it was a package they offered to all guests. 200 bucks down the drain. Would have gotten better experience a one tenth this price at massage place on the street. Could have spent this money on lobster meals...We wanted to spoil ourselves on our last day, the kanda spa left us feeling disappointed and feeling ripped off. Unprofessional staff who chat among themselves ..and rip you off timewise and quality wise.
This added to the poor service across the board means I will not stay at thsi hotel again. There are cheaper nicer hotels nearby, and you can still walk a few minutes to the nice beach, you can still buy drinks/pizza at their beach bar.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Frangipani55
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Let me start by saying that we absolutely love Kata Beach, to us it is a magical place that has changed our lives. We have met some amazing people that we are lucky to now call our friends :-) Now to the hotel. We were greeted courteously by staff and shown to our Deluxe Seaview Room. Seaview yes, deluxe? Now that's stretching it a bit. Two single mattresses pushed together instead of a double mattress, mould on the roof near the air conditioner, faulty sliding door, bathroom sink plug jammed closed and no clock. Never mind we thought, we are here on holiday so let's just make the most of it. We went down to the lobby and saw an artist sketching portraits and photos and thought this was the ideal opportunity to have a sketch done from a couple of photos of our cherished dog Mishka who died a few years ago. Now a warning... Do NOT trust this man.. He took our money and photos and then promptly disappeared into thin air..2 weeks later and after many meetings with the manager and the threat of involvement from the police, 6 hours before we were due to leave, we finally received our photos back thankfully. For this I thank Andrew the hotel manager for getting personally involved and ensuring that these much cherished photos were returned to us. During our stay a party was held to celebrate the end of the Kings Cup, no problem except for the fact that they set up the stage right in front of every bodies balconies and proceeded to blast music until after midnight, great if you are there to party, not so great for the average holiday maker! To the hotels credit and once again with the personal involvement of the hotels manager we were credited for the night. Although we didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the hotel, we did order room service a couple of times and found the food to be average at best. With so many cheaper and better options just out the front gate we only have ourselves to blame for this! One thing I will say is that the ladies at reception and the security guards were exemplary in their friendliness and customer service. All in all, a great location with shopping, dining and one of the worlds greatest tattooists right on the doorstep, not to mention the beach. If you are thinking of getting a tattoo, Addy Design just can't be beaten. We don't allow anybody but Addy to ink us up, remember a tattoo is FOREVER!! It was still a great holiday, amazing in fact. Unfortunately, what we paid did not represent value for money in any sense of the words. Having stayed at Movenpick in Karon before, there is no comparison in quality and value yet the cost was the same. Once again I would like to thank Andrew the hotel manager for making himself personally available to sort out our problems and especially to the security guards who greeted us genuinely and warmly every time we entered or left the hotel :-) ps. If u want good coffee, The Italian Job down the road is the only place to go. pps. The Eagle Bar is the place to go if you want to drink somewhere that you are looked after and made to feel like a local. Cheers Jase and Jacq

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank Jasenjacq
Bay of Islands
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We spend 10 days here in July 2011 and had a great time at this resort. It was fun, staff were very friendly and helpful and whilst it was a big resort, we had a great time. The pool area was really good - the only complaint was the selfish guests who hogged the loungers by the pool for hours on end even when they weren't there. The staff perhaps need to control this a bit better, as they would leave the resort for several hours leaving all their belongings on loungers so nobody else could use them. This is very selfish and unfair on other guests. The cocktail bar staff were excellent, and a lovely area to sit and enjoy the sunset. Location amazing, as so close to everything. The beach in July is a bit wild due to the onshore wind all the time, and sad about all the rubbish that comes ashore in the storms, but it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple