“Great Food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

New Shanghai
Ranked #35 of 53 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gold Coast
“Great Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Went here with my family the other day for the first time and the food was amazing! We had pan fried pork dumplings which was good compared to other ones I have tried. The best dish I think would be the salt and pepper calamari as well as the fried chicken. The service could be better but overall was really good.

Sydney
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been here many times. We continue to go back for the amazing food. I'm not sure what happened on the occasions people reported the food as disgusting because in about 20 or more visits I would never have described the food anything but 'a taste sensation'.
Granted the service isn't top class especially when they are busy but lets face it your not paying the prices to be waited on every 10 mins. They have in recent times appeared to hire more staff and they tend to speak better English than the staff when they first opened. So the service is improving.
As for cold dishes or dumplings coming out after what we in Australia consider 'main' dishes to be fair on the menu no where does it say entree so unless you asked for a particular order I'm not sure you can complain. One party in our group complained about the same thing once and when this was pointed out by us they agreed. My husband and I usually like our dumplings first too so we either ask or order the dumplings and when they are served order our Rainbow beef then. By the way the rainbow beef is lovely and unusual. You can not get a dish like it anywhere else in Newcastle.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nic680
Newcastle, Australia
“Horrible service, don't waste your time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Been here many times, and to be very honest, I am only going back there because it is close to home. Service is horrible, they are slow and inattentive. Expect to receive your main before entree, and drinks to arrive after you finish your meal.

When I finally take the time to complain and speak to the Manager, I was told that "if you prefer certain dish to be served first, you should tell us when you order". Didn't realise when I order "cold dish" & "mains" I would have to make it clear that "please serve cold dish before mains".

Didn't expect to have to chase up my drinks order over and over again, when all I ordered was a bottle of diet coke, which they serve it in a bottle, and when I look over, their bar staff receives the drink order, but continue to do dishes (or other work) instead of serving drinks.

My partner and I love dumplings and we go back to this place over and over again because it is the only place we know in Newcastle that serves dumplings. But the honest truth is their dumplings are only half decent.

I would've thought either the owner or the restaurant would at least learn what restaurant management or service means. If they don't nor care to improve (assuming they don't because I don't see any improvement after giving feedback to the manager, and they obviously acknowledge the feedback on trip advisor too), they should not charge the price they are charging, their price isn't exactly cheap.

Overall, food + service, 3/10. Would go back for an easy meal, but don't expect anything great nor good.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ToddnMimi
Sydney, Australia
“Possibly the worst dining experience to date.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Came here with my partner and another couple (one being pregnant) for lunch. The state of the restaurant was DISGUSTING. The cooks were sitting and eating, while every single table was covered in filth and there were massive garbage bags dumped around the serving area. These weren't removed the entire time we were there. We asked for water 3 times over the hour and a half and eventually got up and lost it at the 'manager'. Fancy letting a pregnant woman go without water after asking repeatedly. The 'Manager's' response was 'sorry, we're too busy'. Basically I replied and said I think it's time for them to close down then! There were literally 10 people in the place! On a final note, the food was foul. Never will I return and I urge others to steer well clear.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank jessica9199
Newcastle, Australia
“Response of the previous reviews by Charlestown New Shaghai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Dear all customers, we would like to thank you for all the comments and we feel so sorry for the insufficient service that we provided. We give all of you our most sincere apology. We have been checking up all sorts of catering and dining experience forums. We are fully aware of the flaws found in our service. We have been focusing on improving the serving order of the dish especially cold dish, entrees and the soup also rice. Fairly speaking, we do not consider the dumplings as the entrees so there may be misunderstandings between the staff and the customers. Though, we are happy to serve the dumplings before the other meals or any other particular orders if you specially request. We believe the staff are trying their best to serve the customers with a positive attitude. Please do tell us about our service and food so that we can improve. We will keep trying to work on a efficient and sustainable system. You are welcome to pay us a visit to witness our progress. Thank you.

Visited July 2014