“Very nice food.!” 4 of 5 bubbles

New Shanghai
Ranked #35 of 53 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very nice food.!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I have been here numerous times, the food is amazing.! I always get 203- the new shanghai pan fried pork buns and 507- the new shanghai pork noodles, they are delicious.!! I have also had the American garlic pork ribs which are absolutely beautiful but a little pricey at about $20 for 8-10 ribs. I have had quite a few other meals from the menu and have to say that myself and people with me each time have enjoyed 9/10 of our meals. At times, service and meals can be slow depending how busy the restaurant is. The staff seem nice, one girl in particular is lovely, remembering who I am and making my guests and myself feel more than welcome when visiting there. I recommend eating here, the atmosphere is fantastic and food is authentic.!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely food, very poor service...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have been to new shanghai twice now, only for the food. They have a lot of variety in their menu and some lovely dishes. I need to recommend the bean curd with soy and mushroom, although I found it strange this was served cold (as with edamame). Both times I have visited at lunch, with minimal guests, but found service lacking despite more than Enough staff standing around obviously doing not a great deal. We've had to ask for menus despite sitting quite close to the service counter outside and had to find our own chopsticks after our meals had come out.

As others have mentioned, food is very slow to come out, again surprising to me considering how little guests were in the restaurant at the time. We were probably waiting 20 minutes between a shared entree and our dumplings to come out. I did notice the 'new recommended dishes' on the table were the same as the new dishes six months prior....

On the other hand, the food is quite good. The pork buns are fluffy but crisp on the underside, with the right amount of flavour. The textures in the soy mushroom bean curd are amazing.

Could be a great little spot, just needs to improve on the service side.

Wollongong, Australia
“Come for lunch, get your meal at dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had lunch here with some friends, where 3 of the 7 meals did not arrive within 30 minutes of the other 4 meals. We had to ask what was happening with the meals, on which they said 'sorry' and two of the meals arrived from the kitchen a minute later. Anyway my meal (the last one) still hadn't arrived 15 minutes later, so again I asked where it was, they again said 'sorry' and also collected it from the kitchen. All up, lunch took 2 hours. The quality of the food was average, not terrible but the service was certainly terrible. The workers here are foreigners from China and do not comprehend the english language effectively. Luckily one of my friends was Chinese and he worked as a translator to communicate our problem to the staff. There are better options to choose from. Never again!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Crap.. Waited too long for food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Mains got served before entree and had to wait to long for food. Food was ordinary to say the least..will not be back
The wrights

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my third (AND FINAL) visit to this....restaurant...for want of a better word. We arrived...our name wasn't on booking list. We had booked earlier that day. I'm not sure the uninterested rude person...(I can't say waitress as believe me there is no such thing here) even understood what we were trying to say. We were seated right over the back outside in the open...well actually pointed in the direction of a table by the person, after she shoved the menus in my husband's hand...we seated ourselves. And then...we were totally ignored by all staff. My husband had to walk up and ask someone to come take our order. Our first dish arrived, but we had no bowls or utensils or drinks yet... and so did the rain. We had to grab our dish and dash under cover where we were still ignored by the staff until once again my husband got their attention. The table was moved in under cover but no attempt was made by the staff to wipe anything down...my husband used his handkerchief. Our first round of drinks took half an hour to arrive. We didn't bother trying to order anymore. The rest of our order arrived after this. One dish was wrong but why would we bother bringing it to their attention, that would take another half an hour. We finished our meal quickly and got out of there. Never, never going back!!

1 Thank lakemaclady