“A tired hotel with old rooms..”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Melbourne, Australia
“A tired hotel with old rooms..”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for work and was upgraded when I checked in. The room was not an upgrade...dirty carpet, old furniture, hard bed and curtains that did not close fully.

I even found a dead cockroach on the floor under the air conditioning unit.

I am not a fussy traveller but the room was old and did not really give me any comfort.

The staff were friendly and efficient and the food was great.

Would I stay there again..probably not.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank storm_fan1998
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Storm_fan1998:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Charlestown. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Mercure Charlestown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Only one issue, I was accidently charged twice for breakfast, I emailed the management and it was immediately rectified, I would recommend the stay to anyone! the menu was diverse, as a woman I was able to order divine non red meat food, the men on the table next to me seemed happy with their steaks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Innercityali:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Charlestown. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The location was brilliant, 5 minutes either way of Charlestown Square and Kotara Westfields. Room was very clean, beds comfortable, rooms spacious and quiet. Would definitely stay again. I got the room for $105 per night for a queen and one single a bargain.

• Stayed August 2013
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear DisneyDreamer07:

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Staying just one night whilst visiting friends in the area was almost too short!
I did a walk in booking and found myself in a privilege room. Nespresso machine, pillow menu assortment of teas were all lovely touches.
Room very clean and comfortable. I will definitely be checking in again next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Definitely a privilege room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear FBSS43:

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were concerned with some bad reviews on tripadvisor before we went. We were very pleasantly surprised. This hotel is well improved from its Madison days. A table and a light on the balcony would ensure I'd never stay anywhere else when in Newcastle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Tanya,

Dear HolidayMum02,

Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

.... as we expected something more from this hotel brand. You will see there is a mix of reviews that touch on many points. It's a very dated building trying to operate as an upmarket property.

Firstly, the check in was fine; quick and friendly. However, the room was under par for the premium price we were paying. The bathroom door for example was badly water damaged so that it would not close at all. Add to this a very quirky toilet design where there is no privacy for the user of the 'loo. The water damage had not just happened overnight, it had been that way for a long time. This sums up the attention to detail and overall maintenance.

This seems to me a hotel that was given a quick renovation some time ago but they only did the basics. There is still construction going on. The hall has a musty smell and the common areas are not that well decorated or for that matter clean. The grounds look neglected as the gardens would have once been lovely.

A final comment would be that the housekeeping was basic with tea/coffee not replaced and the bed seemingly just pulled up.

It's ok for a short stay if the location suits and the other options are limited - which is how we came to stay. YMMV

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wing6rider-Australia
Dear Wing6ryder

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking, as much as we can, the appropriate measures to address the problem(s) and prevent future occurrence.

Country NSW
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here recently as a family and were very happy with all aspects of our stay. The motel is in a lovey spot on a hill and handy to Charlestown and Kotara Westfield shopping centres. Check-in was quick and easy; and all the staff were friendly. Our room was spacious and clean with comfortable beds, and had everything we required. Lovely bathroom with complimentary toiletries and towels were replaced during our 2 night stay. Continental breakfast was delicious with lots of variety. Our room was at the front of the motel down the end, and had 2 entrance doors which was handy, one onto carpark and the other access into the motel corridor. We heard no noise at all from traffic, other guests or workmen. I researched other motels and this one was the pick for us. Clean, comfortable, spacious, and good value for money. I have already recommended it to family. Thanks Mercure.

Room Tip: We chose room at front of motel for easy access and parking.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear HolidayMum02,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Best Western Plus Apollo International Hotel
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
The Premier Hotel
The Premier Hotel
#14 of 22 in Newcastle

Been to Mercure Charlestown? Share your experiences!