“My regular hotel in Newcastle”

Mercure Charlestown
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Sydney, Australia
“My regular hotel in Newcastle”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I travel to Newcastle regularly for work and over the years have tried a number of hotels around town but since staying at the Mercure in Charlestown I haven't stayed anywhere else. Rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious, bathrooms are good and some recently renovated. I haven't tried the facilities but the service is always professional and friendly. It is any easy drive to Charlestown shops and there is always plenty of parking. A great value option for Newcastle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Ms Annabelle

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Charlestown. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I do hope that your treatment in our regional hospital have a positive result and that you are well on the way to get much better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a great experience at Mercure Charlestown - thanks to William who did above and beyond! He was friendly and helpful. He gave us a free upgrade to a king sized bed on the top floor and accommodated our needs for extra pillow, towel and quilt. The room was spacious and comfortable. We enjoyed our stay and wanted to thank William again when we checked out but he wasn't on duty. We would stay again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear MetroTree,

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff, and in particular William our Resident Manager, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I do hope that your treatment in our regional hospital have a positive result and that you are well on the way to get much better.

Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Handy to Charlestown Square shopping centre and Lake Macquarie Private Hospital. Good clean accommodation. Beautiful meals in the restaurant at reasonable prices for a city motel. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Angelo0613,

Sydney
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel was OK for a quick overnight stay, desperately in need of a makeover though, the bed I had was sagging and not at all comfortable and there was a weird light under the bath in the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Talita,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Charlestown. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking, as much as we can, the appropriate measures to address the problem(s) and prevent future occurrence.

I have personally investigate and have taken the appropriate measure to remedy of light and bed sagging. The hotel IS in the process of being renovated and overtime will be all done to high standard.

Gold Coast, Queensland
Reviewed May 27, 2013

A surprise hotel in the suburbs, clean, very good standard, pleasant happy staff. I had a good sized room which had all I needed. Restaurant was very good value & quality too, pleasant surroundings & staff. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Dear CaptainK49,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

As we are from Queensland we are use to when booking twin share anywhere at a hotel recieving two double beds in a room , it was a little uncomfortable for my daughter(who is an adult) sleeping in the single bed up against a wall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Dear People561,

I would love to have room large enough to fit two double or two queens, but it is not the case, only a Queen and a Single can fit comfortably and we do advertise the bedding configuration appropriately so it should not have come as a surprised to you. I do again, apologise if you daughter did not get a good night sleep.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 21:55 with reception closed (advertised online as having 24 hour reception service) - key was left with a letter by the phone explaining how to get to my room.

Room was nice - standard mercure hotel room

When I went to get into bed I had to strip it because of the stains on the sheets. No one on reception to assist - but there is a phone on the wall to call someone - I was only staying one night so it's not worth the effort (see image).

Room service advertised in the welcome pamphlet until 10:30pm however the menu states 9:30pm (see image)

Such a shame for what is a good brand of hotels - only staying for one night (on business) so it will quickly be forgotten when I leave in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear ReecePugh1986,

The reception front door is sometime close at 10 pm but we DO have a member of staff on duty 24 hours a day, it would have been easy for you just to take the phone of the hook and dial 9 and we would have attended to your need(s) - there is however no excuse if indeed their were stain on your sheet!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Best Western Plus Apollo International
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
The Premier Hotel
The Premier Hotel
#14 of 22 in Newcastle

Been to Mercure Charlestown? Share your experiences!