“Clean and Comfortable. A bit tired but perfectly acceptable.”

Mercure Charlestown
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Sydney
“Clean and Comfortable. A bit tired but perfectly acceptable.”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This used to be The Madison Motor Inn and Accor has taken it over and turned it into a Mercure.
A few cosmetic changes in the rooms - beds, TV's etc.
Public areas still a little tired looking - especially reception - but restaurant is nice enough.
Breakfast is good and also good value.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
I stayed in room 116 for 3 nights and a terrible sewerage smell developed during the first night. Reception told me that they would send someone to look at it while I was out and when I returned it seemed to have gone away. However, it did return on the last night of my stay, but no one to tell as reception closes at 9.00pm. Not a huge issue, but the smell wasn't good. Maintainance issues can occur in any hotel, at any time, at any star rating. I just hope that they check out the pipes before I come back!

Shower has good water pressure, room service menu is pretty good too and reasonable value. However, I don't think the menus in the rooms mention a "Tray Delivery Fee" of $3 or $4 which was on my bill when I checked out.

Ample parking and a good location for business or leisure in Newcastle.

Pool area is nice but I didn't swim.

Good selection of FTA and Foxtel channels on the TV too.

I used to stay at the Quality Apollo, but since their renovations they want $170 - $180 per room per night, which is ridiculous for a motor inn (ok, a 4-star rated motor inn, but it's still a motor inn!) in Newcastle. So they've lost my business and The Mercure is my new home in Newcastle.

I think the old functions manager at The Apollo has taken over as GM of The Mercure and I've met her before and she's really on the ball, so hopefully this hotel will stay on it's toes and keep up the standard and value.

Free WIFI too, which is a really considerate thing to offer and a big reason why I stay here - very helpful for working!

Happy to stay here again, but a bit of a "spruce-up" of the hotel - particularly the corridors and public areas - would be really great.

A good value hotel if you're looking for something clean, comfortable and well located.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lachlan72
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Laclan72

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Charlestown. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Warragul, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had a Sunday stay and would of probably ate tea at Motel but bar and Restaurant not open Sundays. Breakfast was cooked to order on the Monday morning and was enjoyed by all.. Great Tariff as I'm an Accor member. Bedding comfortable . Close to both Charlestown and Kotara shopping Centres. Taxi $20 to Broadmeadow Racecourse and $26 into Town area.
Service was friendly and helpful

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Accor Traveller

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from a one night stay at the Mercure Charlestown and was very pleased with the standard of the accommodation. Our king room was very spacious with a small balcony and nice views up to Stockton beach. The bed was extemely comfortable, and the bathroom, although a little small, was well appointed and very clean. My only comment would be that it would have been helpful to have been given some information about the hotel's breakfast arrangements. I looked through some hotel information in our room and could not find anything, but after reading some other reviews on TA after our stay, the breakfast sounds yummy. Regardless, this will be our hotel of choice on our next visit to Newcastle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine D
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Catherine D

Toronto, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one Saturday night here in an excellent upstairs room - spacious, comfortable, well appointed, quiet, airy. Two lovely young women on the front desk, when we booked in and when we left. We come to the Charlestown area regularly to visit family. Have tried the two cheapies - ugh - this will do very well as a regular room for the night. Have already reserved 3 nights over Christmas.

Room Tip: Upstairs room on east side - west would be very hot in summer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lyndal T

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Motel for two nights, Friday & Saturday.by staying 2 nights you get breakfast included, love the pancake's & mapel sryup & the variety of tea's made a nice change To sit outside over looking the pool & the coast (in the distance) was so relaxing ,The service was great as was the atmosphere.We used the outside area again on the Friday night to sit & sip some wine,We enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor was good, as we parked right at the front door.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cassandra T,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Found this hotel to be a little below average generally, although the service staff were courteous and helpful, particularly the restaurant staff.
My biggest concern was the lack of a lift. My room was upstairs and my suitcase was heavy. I found myself uncomfortable the next morning after heaving it to my room, facing another ten hour drive with a sore back. I believe that the check-in staff, who have the knowledge that you are travelling alone and particularly given my obvious gender and age, could have offered or ensured someone was available to bring up a suitacase.
Had some difficulty with the curtains, had to hook them up behind the bedhead to close up the gap, leaving me feeling a little vulnerable. The bathroom was a little jaded. Appears to have been given a recent update, but basics like bathroom and beds left untouched. Room was quiet though so slept well.
On the bright side, the restaurant food was good and the staff there were both courteous and very friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Walesy56
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Walesy56:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Charlestown. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Dominique Reghenzani
Mercure Charlestown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Best Western Plus Apollo International Hotel
#3 of 22 in Newcastle
The Premier Hotel
The Premier Hotel
#14 of 22 in Newcastle

Been to Mercure Charlestown? Share your experiences!