“Very comfortable, a home away from home”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Toronto, Australia
“Very comfortable, a home away from home”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one Saturday night here in an excellent upstairs room - spacious, comfortable, well appointed, quiet, airy. Two lovely young women on the front desk, when we booked in and when we left. We come to the Charlestown area regularly to visit family. Have tried the two cheapies - ugh - this will do very well as a regular room for the night. Have already reserved 3 nights over Christmas.

Room Tip: Upstairs room on east side - west would be very hot in summer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Lyndal T
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Charlestown. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Motel for two nights, Friday & Saturday.by staying 2 nights you get breakfast included, love the pancake's & mapel sryup & the variety of tea's made a nice change To sit outside over looking the pool & the coast (in the distance) was so relaxing ,The service was great as was the atmosphere.We used the outside area again on the Friday night to sit & sip some wine,We enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor was good, as we parked right at the front door.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cassandra T,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Found this hotel to be a little below average generally, although the service staff were courteous and helpful, particularly the restaurant staff.
My biggest concern was the lack of a lift. My room was upstairs and my suitcase was heavy. I found myself uncomfortable the next morning after heaving it to my room, facing another ten hour drive with a sore back. I believe that the check-in staff, who have the knowledge that you are travelling alone and particularly given my obvious gender and age, could have offered or ensured someone was available to bring up a suitacase.
Had some difficulty with the curtains, had to hook them up behind the bedhead to close up the gap, leaving me feeling a little vulnerable. The bathroom was a little jaded. Appears to have been given a recent update, but basics like bathroom and beds left untouched. Room was quiet though so slept well.
On the bright side, the restaurant food was good and the staff there were both courteous and very friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Walesy56
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Walesy56:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Charlestown. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Good sized room with everything required for a relaxed stay. Main room well presented with good bed. Bathroom a bit shabby with shower that was slow to regulate hot water. Service was excellent responding quickly to two initial problems - spilt and off milk in fridge and missing light globe. Continental breakfast offered a wide choice in pleasant surroundings and with good service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Quickbed Traveller

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My stay here was a nightmare wet carpet . nothing to nice to say about the cleaning staff on the ensuite and spa. When I complainted to the reception my complaint was taken seriously and the motor manager rang me the next day and also email. His response was to my likely and he couldn't be more sorry for the poor state of the room .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle F
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Michelle F,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We greatly appreciate any feedback as it will help us continuously improve our products and services.

I am distressed to hear of the issues you encountered and raise previously with me did not appear to have been resolve by us in a satisfactory manner, I am very sorry that you still have a negative impression of us and I regret that we did not meet your all your expectations, unfortunately mechanical failure and/or poor performance from employees do happen even if we try our hardest to eleviate all of it for you to enjoy your stay in our hotel.

I hope that you will return again soon and give us another try.

Kind regards,
Dominique
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here as our normal fortnightly accommodation in Charlestown was booked out. For a similar price to what I pay to stay elsewhere, this hotel was a disappointment.

Check In was fairly smooth and the reception staff, although busy, were very helpful. Things changed when we arrived at the room. The noise from the workmen outside was a huge annoyance and although not the hotels fault, they could have advised that this was going on.

The bathroom had a dirty facewasher hanging on the shower head from the previous person in the room, there was off milk in the mini bar fridge obviously once again not cleaned out after the last person in there and to be honest the bed was made so poorly that it looked like the sheets had also just been re-used from the previous person. I would assume this is not the case but either the cleaning staff need to learn to make a bed properly or they need to ensure any sheets that do not lay flat on the bed and look crinkled/creased as if already used are actually ironed before putting on the bed.

They do offer breakfast with their room rates so if you plan to utilise this then the rate may be acceptable, however for someone who did not require this and needed a nice place to stay, this hotel was overpriced particularly for the cleanliness of the room.

Room Tip: If you want a DVD player you need to collect a new one from Reception and unpack it out of all its p...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dominique R, General Manager at Mercure Charlestown, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear RestaurantCritic90:

Mercure Charlestown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Best Western Plus Apollo International Hotel
#3 of 22 in Newcastle
The Premier Hotel
The Premier Hotel
#14 of 22 in Newcastle

Been to Mercure Charlestown? Share your experiences!