“Excellent location!!”

Charlestown Executive Apartments
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Found this place wanting to be close to John hunter. Great area close to Charlestown square. Found the reception lady a bit short and rude. The rooms are nice and modern and a great size. Parking was great and easy.

• Stayed: January 2013
Graham T, Manager at Charlestown Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Leeka79,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay.

While we are sorry to hear of the reason regarding your visit with us we a glad to hear we could provide you with a comfortable stay.

Regarding your comment about our customer service, we are extremely sorry to hear you felt that way. We strive to make our guests’ stay as enjoyable as possible and exceed expectations so we apologise that you felt our customer service could be improved. Please be assured that we are taking your comments on board to ensure it doesn't happen again.

We are glad to hear you found our rooms to be spacious, it is a great incentive to choose an apartment over a hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay, we hope that we will welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Lovely and spacious, though being greeted by an automated air freshener made us gag with it's overpowering stench. Carpet was abit average, as were the walls marked in placces with dirty scuffmarks. However, this was made up for with a beautiful deep bath, excellent fully equipped kitchen. Bit disappointed about the "king size bed" being just two singles pushed together - am now aware when asked how I would like my room set up! Staff were bubbly and refreshing and so helpful. Parking places small, but was close walking distance to Charlestown Square so we didnt need the car much. Atmosphere beautiful and quiet with fabulous setting and clean outdoors. Despite the negatives in this review, would definetely recommend to anyone and everyone. Loved our short stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Graham T, Manager at Charlestown Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your comments. Whilst no-one likes to hear the negatives, we appreciate hearing them – they keep us focused. We take them very seriously and copies of your review have been circulated to all staff.

We remember being called to turn off the automated air freshener in your unit and agree that in your instance it was overpowering. We have had these devices installed in each unit for guest comfort however there has been an odd dispensing device which has been faulty. The device is designed to emit air freshener every 30 mins on a 12 or 24 hour cycle. The device can be switched off via a small switch located to the right of the device or by contacting Reception as you did.

The carpet was booked to be shampooed early this week – the carpet shampoo contractor has been very busy this past week with water damage from all the rain we have had. As for marks on the wall, this is a constant occurrence and we do spend a lot of time cleaning marks off walls in both the units and public corridors/stairs etc. We have noted your comments and will keep focused on this issue.

As for the bedding, we do use split king size beds. When combined to make a king double, the two mattresses are zipped together. The profiles of our guest groups are so varied that to place a single king sized bed in each master bedroom would restrict our patronage in a significant way and so we need to retain the bedding options offered. It is true to say that we have had many comments saying that our beds are very comfortable.

The parking spaces are of regulation size and meet Council and Building Code of Australia standards, however we agree, had space permitted it would have been nice to have them a little larger.

We appreciate your positive comments as we do try hard to make each guest’s stay a memorable one.

We have received your comments with a positive spirit and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed 1 night here while going to a family 50th. It was quiet & really comfortable, we had a studio room. Graeme in the office offered to book a cab when we enquired about a contact phone no. Secure parking was a plus. I'd recommend this to everyone, and will always remember it when heading to Newcastle. Prices are really reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My partner and I chose to stay at the Charlestown executive apartments over the Xmas/New Years break because we were staying in Newcastle for an extended period of time and thought it would be nice to have more room than that of a hotel.

First impressions were good. The manager is a lovely man who greeted us and handed us a map of the local area. He was very warm and welcoming. He directed us to the on site car park, gave us our room keys and left us to our own devices.

The lock up car park is good, bit fiddly for us as we own a big car. Parking became tedious but was still better than parking on the street. Although I must say the street was very quiet.

First inspection of the apartment wasn't that great. I turned down the bed to find the sheets stained and the pillows covered with hairs (at least 5 long black hairs on one and 2 on the other side of the bed) the cover on the bed was dotted with stains also. I promptly took off the cover, folded it and put it away in the cupboard. I'll post pics below so you can make your own decisions as to what was on the cover as I don't want to come across as vulgar. My impression of the bedding was that it had not been washed at all.

Kitchen was tidy but still unclean. I went for a coffee cup, the inside was wet and had hairs dragged through it. The bench top was lovely but again had been stained beyond belief. Appliances were top notch as you will see in the photos, Miele, Tefal and a Delonghi coffee machine. The appliances were clean but looked out of place in the unclean kitchen with the stained benchtop.

At this point I started to look around at the rest of the apartment. The bathroom wasn't clean either. Hairs all over the floor and the inside of the shower was terrible with mold. Lovely design though.

The lounge area was the same. A lovely glass table that had finger prints all over it. A recliner chair that had stains and crumbs all over it and a matching pair of leather lounges that were also covered in crumbs....

At this point I became sad, but not for myself, I became sad for the owners. These apartments when brand new would have been lovely. Lovely carpets, lovely kitchen and lovely lounge area but due to the pathetic cleaners this room was dragged down from a 4/5 star room to a 3 star easily. I could see their vision when they had designed the rooms. Upper class apartments. They could have cheaped out with the appliances but they hadn't. They didn't need to put a leather recliner in but they did... I felt terrible. Due to the lack of care from their cleaners this room had suffered terribly.

This was all made clear to me when the next day I set eyes on them. An older woman and two young girls. The young girls would have been 17 at a push. It's not my place to judge them as I have no idea whether it was their lack of care that lead to our apartment being unclean but they looked highly uninterested and their 'work attire' left nothing to the imagination. Quite unprofessional. I know this is different to a hotel. I know uniforms probably aren't required but geez.

My suggestion to the owners/managers of these apartments would be get new cleaners. Your apartments are lovely and they deserve so much better! Please don't allow this to happen again.

As for a return visit. I'd happily come back on the knowledge your cleaners had either pulled up their socks or been replaced by new people who actually gave a toss about your vision. The owners and the apartments deserve much better.

Room Tip: Rooms above the carpark are facing a primary school. Wouldn't like to visit when school was on.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Graham T, Manager at Charlestown Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear LeashaAnn,

Firstly, let me say thank you for your candid comments. After enjoying so many excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, I was personally horrified to read through your review. However, I am not questioning your comments.

Clearly we have had a 'shocker' and for this I sincerely apologise. We are seriously wondering if the unit was completely missed and would have been pleased if you had notified us as soon as you became aware of the problems in order for us to address them - no excuses though!

We have a zero tolerance for marks on bed covers and we can understand your disgust at the coffee cup incident. We have now instituted a more rigorous regime and again I apologise for this.

The staining of kitchen benches is not entirely a cleaning issue. The ingrained staining results from inferior 'engineered stone' purchased from an overseas supplier - we believed at the time that the product was sound and received recommendations for it - however we have since learned that the base material used in it's manufacture was marble instead of quartz. This accounts for the staining issues. We have been investigating replacement alternatives and as soon as we can identify the best solution we will systematically replace all of the offending bench tops. This remains an active pursuit.

As far as the bathroom, coffee table and lounge chairs are concerned, I am at a loss to explain except to say again that the entire unit looks as if it missed being cleaned - suffice to say that we slipped badly on this occasion.

The mould in the shower is located underneath the clear silicon seal and needs removing and replacing. This is receiving such attention.

Addressing the work attire point - this is a valid point I agree and it is something that should have been instituted before this. We have spoken to a supplier since your review and it has now become a priority. We have ordered new clothing with company colours and logo for use by our cleaning and ground staff.

In terms of 'getting new cleaners' - I can well understand the point of view. However, in spite of this aberration, I believe our cleaners have done a great job under sometimes difficult circumstances. The time was over Christmas holidays where units take longer to clean and we were clearly under staffed. We have employed additional cleaners since your review, and we have all learnt from the experience that you have highlighted and are committed to not letting the same happen again.

You are right when you speak of vision. Our vision is to serve our guests well and remember always that our guests provide our living.

The only time any noise comes from the school next door is just before school, morning break or lunch break. The rest of the time they are in class or on holidays. We have not received any comments about school generated noise.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a long review - we appreciate your interest.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here overnight in early December in a studio apartment. Smart, clean & well equipped. Manager & partner friendly & helpful. Within a short walk of the town centre so easy to self cater. We were in Newcastle for a race that kicked off at 8am & asked for a slightly delayed check out - not a problem !.Only 10 mins easy drive from Newcastle centre. Highly recommended. Secure parking.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Graham T, Manager at Charlestown Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Debseleven,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay.

We are pleased to hear you found our apartments clean and well equipped as this is definitely a focus for us and our staff will be delighted that you noticed their hard work.

We were more than happy to accommodate your request of a delayed check out.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for three nights over the holidays. Was in apartment 18 on top floor: one bed, one bath, large lounge/kitchen/dining area, L-shaped balcony facing east and south; cable tv, nicely equipped kitchen; parking on ground floor; convenient location (if you're visiting charlestown). All booked over the net. Owner came out on Xmas day to give me the keys. Lovely bloke. Only suggestions for improvement would be some splashes of colour, as the apartment decor is a bit corporate, and better blinds in the bedroom

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Graham T, Manager at Charlestown Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear DHM2006,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay.

We appreciate the detail in which you described our apartments.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our décor and window dressings, it is definitely something we will keep in mind for future refurbishments.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My sister organised a little trip for my four friends and I to the area for beaches and shopping after we finished our exams.

We stumbled across this place online and gave them a call and easily booked an apartment for one night with the friendly and helpful staff. In comparison to other accommodation options, Charlestown Exec Apartments had a great location (less than a 5 minute walk to the main shopping centre and a short drive to some local beaches) and was the most affordable and presentable of the options. This was all evident during our stay!

On arrival, Graham and Laurel were very warm and accommodating and gave us helpful suggestions for local activities and attractions. The staff went well and beyond to make our stay comfortable!

The grounds and parking were secure and very close to the apartment which was great!
The apartment was very modern, clean and appealing. Kitchen was well equipped and the apartment was very nicely furnished and comfortable. Bathrooms and bedrooms were clean and spacious also.

I will definitely be recommending this place to family and friends, and if we ever come back up to the area, we'll be staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear ShaVan9,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay, we will certainly be passing on your comments to our staff who will be thrilled that their hard work has been noticed and appreciated!

It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you, your sister and friends to our property. We are happy that we could make you post-exam visit to Charlestown enjoyable.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Graham

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Best Western Plus Apollo International Hotel
Cardiff Executive Apartments
Panorama Motor Inn
Panorama Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Charlestown

Been to Charlestown Executive Apartments? Share your experiences!