“Brilliant pub”

lincs
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant pub”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Excellent pub with outstanding food and extremely friendly staff
Highly recommended. Nothing too much trouble a warm and friendly welcome and very reasonably priced

Visited October 2012
1 Thank andrew w

Bristol
“A warm and pleasant atmosphere, with a menu and level of service to match”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I visited The Bell on a Friday evening following a recommendation by a colleague (who happens to be an ex-chef and therefore has a valuable opinion when concerned with restaurants and eating out), who insisted we make a reservation as the restaurant is liable to be very busy. Possibly due to the storm-like conditions of the particular evening we chose to visit, we had the restaurant to ourselves and therefore any critical review of service may thus be quite biased, as the level of service was extremely efficient. The menu provided a range of English choices and typical pub restaurant flair, albeit with an extra special flair. I ordered the whitebait starter, followed by the 8oz sirloin steak, all of which were top-quality. For the quality of our meals we felt the bill was very reasonable. We shall definitely return and will be recommending The Bell in future.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Drew85UK
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lack of staff n lack of choices”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Party of four of us arrived and only one member of staff on to serve drinks and food. It was a Tuesday evening but pub was reasonably busy. No cider on, they had run out the weekend! A few things werent on the menu but not made aware until we chose them. Food was average. Sister pub, Swan at Nibley service n food much better than Bell. Ok but better food n service around.

• Visited May 2012
Swan_at_Nibley, General Manager at The Bell Inn at Old Sodbury, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Carolyn B,

Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on TripAdvisor. Firstly, can I apologise for the perceived lack of choice. We had had a very busy weekend and had been let down by not one, but two of our suppliers which led to a limited menu and no draught cider. However, I totally agree with you that the unavailable items should have been brought to your attention before ordering.

With regards to the single member of staff, can I ask did this in any way lead to a lack of service for your party or were you just surprised to see only one person? The reason I ask is that your party should have been shown to a table, an order taken from the table, food served, more drinks offered and then at least one check back. In my experience, one good member of staff shoould be able to accommodate this for 4-5 tables. Can you let me know if the above steps were carried out satisfactorily, or not as the case may be, so that I can talk to the member of staff involved.

Finally, with regards to the food which you describe as "average" and "ok", would you mind letting me know a) what dishes you ordered and b) if this was your opinion or the opinion of all who dined with your party that evening.

Thanks in advance for your reply which should help us to learn from any errors that may have been made on your visit.

Kind regards,

James Gale
Manager
The Bell at Old Sodbury
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I ate here for my birthday last year. I had the lamb and it was to die for. Service was good, the food was better and considering we had desert and 2 bottles of wine the bill was reasonable.
Would defiantly go back here.

Visited August 2011
Bristol
“An enjoyable evening in a Fantastic Restaurant!”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We recently went for a meal at the Bell Inn for a special occasion due to my sister getting engaged! The pub has gone through a massive refurbishment since my last visit here, and the owners have done a brilliant job with the interior. There was a lovely wooden flooring which added character and it was very tastefully decorated. There was 8 of us and when we arrived we were greated by the Manager who was friendly and professional. He showed us to our table and we ordered drinks which arrived promptly. The menu was very reasonably priced and there was plenty of choice including a specials board. We started with a selection of Breads with dips and then had starters and main courses. All 8 of us commented on how good our meals were and how much we had enjoyed them. The staff came over to check how our food was, which was a nice touch and made us feel very valued customers. As it was a special occasion, we treated ourselves to several bottles of wine and their was a great choice on the wine list. I always try and save room for dessert but always struggle to choose between the options! I was delighted when the waitress came over to ask if we would like dessert and presented us with a board showing examples of all of the desserts available that night, so you could see what each one looked like! Brilliant. In summary we had a great night with a lovely atmosphere and great food. We shall be returning very soon!

• Visited March 2012