“Sunday Roast”

The Cross Hands Hotel Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My friend and I ordered Roast Beef, and we both asked for extra side dish of Cauliflower Cheese. We expected it to be served separately but no it was already on the plate, a very tiny portion when we queried where it was we were told that was it. We ordered another side portion between us. It was over cooked and soggy. The Broccoli was too hard to chew and we complained that it hadn’t been cooked properly and was inedible. There was very little mashed potato, and very few pieces of chopped carrot. I had ordered an extra Yorkshire Pudding but that never arrived, but by then I wasn’t bothered as the meal wasn’t up to scratch. While the meat was ok, it was a very disappointing meal. Can’t believe they had the cheek to put Thank You and a smiley face on the end of the receipt, and give me a voucher for 33% discount. Needless to say No Tip was given, except to cook vegetables properly! 2nd picture with extra cauliflower cheese

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (389)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Pulled up on the way out to stop and get a breakfast. The grumpy old owner who has some mission in life to upset people told us to go away. No enquiry or question just leave. I think this is a new owner as the old people used accomadate us and make good money. More fool him will not return I also run a business nearby and will not advise regular visitors to stay there as I would usually.

Reviewed September 11, 2019 via mobile

Booked a room four months out for a three night stay. So bit disappointed that room was probably smallest they had, but adequate and clean although bathroom had a slightly musty smell.
Food was okay and the beer on tap I had was well looked after. All a bit on pricey side I thought i.e. same prices I pay living near London.

Hotel is on a road junction which seemed to be the local racing track for the boy racers. So had to sleep with window closed and thick curtains pulled - although the room was very hot.
Real plus point is the staff - all very friendly and professional. So nothing really wrong - had just imagined a quieter old coaching inn type experience.

Reviewed September 11, 2019

Had a really lovely stay at the Cross Hands last week. If you like gin, this is definitely the place for you. The staff are really helpful with pairing gins with tonics and garnishes too.
Our room was lovely, the one the Queen stayed in! Lovely bathroom in particular and the bed was so comfortable.
Breakfast was huge! A big continental buffet plus a cooked breakfast! We were stuffed.
We had food off the value menu at lunch time and the portion sizes are pretty good for a cheap meal! Not to mention tasty. The fudge cake was great!
Jessica was our waitress in the evening. She was really friendly and couldn't do enough for us!
We will be back!

Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

This place has been extensively refurbished since we were last here. It now has hotel rooms.
The pub itself is nice and cosy and the food is pub grub but very good. The staff seem friendly and efficient. The toilets are clean and modern. There is a disabled toilet.
There is an outside space for sunny days but because of its position near crossroads, it can be noisy.
There is plenty of parking space.

Date of visit: September 2019
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at The Cross Hands Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

Thank you for post. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
George, Colette and the team.