“Rude behaviar”

The Cross Hands Hotel Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I took my wife for a meal at the Cross Hands this evening9th Aug. We were disgusted by the foul language at the bar. A group of 3 locals who I have seen in there on many occasions were very loud ffing and cing saying going upstairs for a [--] etc. As well as this there were two Jack Russell dogs fighting over some sort of toy.
What amazed me was the fact that one of the bar staff who was off duty joining in the swearing and banter, and the general manager joined them too, the ffing cing continuing.
There were a lot of elderly people in the pub being intimidated by this behaviour.
We decided to leave as I don't expect have to put up with this type of behaviour in this type of establishment.
I went to the other side of the bar and complained to the guy behind the bar about the foul language . He said he was out ranked and agreed with me.
We paid our bill and left after telling him I was going to contact the brewery.
I have been eating here for the last 5 years at least 3 times a month but don't think I will be returning in a hurry if this type of behaviour is condoned by your manager.
I am no prude having worked in the Prison Service for 20 yrs. but I do not expect my wife to have to put up with this on a night out.

2  Thank Paul O
There are newer reviews for The Cross Hands Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed August 10, 2013

this is the hotel where the Queen spent the night years ago during a snowstorm. Very nice setting just off the A46. Good service, the menu looked good but we had only stopped for a drink after my first helicopter flying lesson at Cotswold Helicopters at Kemble. Needed a drink after an hours concentration. Would recommend as a stop over point or for a break in a journet north to south or vice versa.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

A lot of money has been invested in this pub recently and it is extremely unfortunate that the quality of the service and management expertise does not match the fiscal investment.
We ate there once a few weeks after it was opened.
The service was slow and indifferent, the food was on a par with Leigh Delamere Services at about 3pm on a hot day.
I had the fajitas which were dry, tasteless and well below school dinner standard.

Not one to be put off by one bad experience we returned there yesterday. A thursday evening at 7pm.
After waiting 10 minutes to be served by the only member of staff that was evidently on duty, we were told that there was a delay of at least an hour on all food orders.
We turned around and went elsewhere.
The place was less than half full of customers.

To my mind this means that the management of the place have made a gross error in judgement by not staffing the place to the level that is required to serve prospective customers.

My advice would be to the management....put your prices up, recruit some staff that care about customers and employ someone who is likely to produce food that customers might eat and enjoy. If you have a chef then tell him/her to lose the attitude!

People would rather pay £20 for something edible rather than £10 for rubbish.........either way it might be an idea to train your staff not to turn customers away by proudly admitting that there is no food available.

Good luck for the future......I think you will need it!!!

3  Thank harleyharvey
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and we found the staff friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful, all the staff seemed happy in their jobs and nothing was too much trouble, their smiling faces and laughter made this hotel. The rooms were clean with a comfortable bed and pillow. The breakfast had a very good selection and the service was excellent. We dined in the restaurant in the evenings and once again the menu was varied and not just the normal pub grub, they do a special daily menu as an alternative to the main menu which again was extremely good, tie the food with the service from the waiter/waitresses and you have a very pleasant evening.
Well done we will return again next year.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have eaten here many times over the years with mixed experiences. the food is pretty average pub fare. this is to be expected from a chain I guess although I think the decor probably suggest something a little higher quality now. The new decoration really is great and I look forward to a cosy drink here in the winter but unfortunately the service really wasn't great. We were eating outside and were served by a number of different members of staff. Our food was delivered with no cutlery / condiments and upon notifying the staff it took a good few minutes further before we could begin to eat by which time the food had cooled significantly. The service whilst ordering was polite but lacking in competence. It took a long time to perform simple tasks. I asked for the complementary veg with the childrens meal and the bar tender had to study the menu for a good minute before understanding what I was asking! Perhaps this was just a new member of staff, I don't know but I felt that generally there was an air of not wanting to be there among the various members of staff we dealt with an this was a shame given the lovely setting this now is.

I think a little motivational management for the bar / restaurant staff would go a long way.