“I can't imagine there is a better place to stay in Johannesburg”
Review of Q on First

Q on First
Reviewed December 4, 2013

As a boutique hotel reviewer, when I travel outside of work, I spend hours researching a place to stay. To say that I am fussy would be an understatement. Q on First had all the promise of my type of place - small, personally run, a great location, beautiful gardens, somewhat secluded, high-design without the interiors overwhelming - and all at a reasonable price. But, having stayed there I can report, hand on heart, that Q on First exceeded all my expectations. The rooms here are spacious and light enough to never feel cramped or like you're stuck inside (even when you are writing for hours on end). Being so bright and light I would have been happy if my room was the extent of the place - but then there's the common areas which seem to go on forever - a huge kitchen/sitting room leads to another spacious common area complete a fireplace and bar at one end, a palatial dining table at the other and a collection of inviting sofas arranged into private nooks in between. This room overlooks the terrace, front garden and pool. There's another dining area again that's used for breakfast so the common-areas are for guest-use only. Being from the UK, it's quite a tall order to impress me with breakfast, particularly when it involves poached eggs, but I used to look forward to the first meal of the day at Q every morning - and it always arrived with a smile. Jeremy, the owner, clearly hand-picks his staff to extend his own warm and accommodating air. He genuinely cares that his guests are comfortable and happy. This of course is the secret to Q on First and the reason standards here are so high - and on the occasions I invited guests over the welcome was just as warm. The service and cleanliness at Q on First is also top notch, but it's the quality in every detail - fine linens, wines, cosmetics, etc. - that you'll remember. The honesty bar is a lovely touch too. - All in all - if you are looking for somewhere to stay in Johannesburg - you'd be hard pressed to find a better all-round experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Me and my colleagues stayed here for almost a week and enjoyed it very much. The staff and owners were warm and welcoming. The rooms were large with comfortable beds and we used the common areas every night for work and dinner. It almost felt like a home away from home. Ray even took us on a guided tour for our last day in town.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a tour operator who has spent a lot of nights in different places around South Africa, I spent 1 night at the Q on First Guesthouse and I found it to be very pleasurable, and the hospitality was incredible, rooms were excellent, beds nice and soft, the breakfast was mouth watering and I think it was a mistake to have only spent one night there but I had to go back to Durban. Highly recommended and i will definitely take more of my guest there

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 1st_Zulu_Safaris_SA
Reviewed July 14, 2013

You know you're in a great place when the worst thing you can say about a hotel is that the staff was TOO attentive. The only reason I left off the fifth star is that since there were so few guests, I felt a bit like the staff was sort of keeping tabs on us. When we decided on a whim to drive to Drakensberg for a few days, we returned to lectures about not telling anyone where we went. Granted this was only out of concern, but it made me a little uncomfortable to feel like I was in trouble or something with the staff. But overall the building and rooms are gorgeous and the hospitality of the owner is unmatched.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were booked into another hotel near the Q in first and Ray did our transfer on their behalf, on arrival @ 5:30am from Australia the hotel we were booked into was locked up and we couldn't contact the owners, Ray kindly offered to take us back to his Guest house Q on first and we were very impressed by the kindness/ generosity and hospitality that we were offered and we weren't even staying in this guest house ( which I would class as a top market boutique hotel with impressive grounds), we were even given a beautiful room to relax in and have a few hours sleep and a cooked breakfast which was beautiful and the service was fantastic and after all that we were dropped at the hotel we were booked into, my only regret is that we weren't staying there and I would definitely stay there if I return to Johannesburg, congratulations guys you restore faith in human nature.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I found this place while browsing the Internet, looking for a reasonable B&B to crash for 2 nights while my windows were being replaced as part of a major renovation. I was a little apprehensive as I'd never heard of it but the pictures looked good and the lady on the phone sounded nice. Pulling into the carpark I was pleasantly surprised by what seemed to be a lovely building with enormous attention to finishing detail and aesthetics. The room I was initially given was lovely , though a little small , with beautiful linen, lovely mix of classic and contemporary decor and French doors that opened out into lovely landscaped grounds. The kind owners then graciously upgraded me to a superb suite at no additional cost. This B&B ( really more of a boutique hotel) was a home away from home with a lovely lounge area, beautiful open plan guest kitchen, bar area and pool terrace all designed to feel like you were in your own very luxurious house. I ended up staying over 2 weeks and left only reluctantly. I recommend wholeheartedly .

Room Tip: Ask for a suite. Worth the extra.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Based on a friend's recommendation, we stayed here at the start and end of our South Africa trip. I think I would describe it more as a boutique hotel than a B&B! The room (and in fact the whole place) is very stylish and spacious and the owners are very welcoming. They were particularly accommodating when we wished to spend the day relaxing before our late flight home, which we very much appreciated. If we return to Jo'burg in the future, we would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple