“A crying shame” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Derbyshire UK
“A crying shame”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

I recently visited the Cliffemount Hotel for the third time.
My two previous visits were made when the previous owner was in charge.
The difference is amazing.
The previous owner was friendly, hospitable and gracious.The present owners do not have these personal skills.
My bedroom was dated and tired. The bed was too soft and was past its best. The kettle was old and grubby, the bedding was too hot and heavy for July. The bathroom was tired, the shower splashed all over the wall if not on full power. The wash basin was cracked, the loo roll holder fell apart when touched.
Service was minimal , with no smile. Breakfast was well cooked and tasty, but the waitress never asked anyone whether they needed more tea , coffee or toast. I have no doubt they would have been forthcoming if asked for but they should have been offered.
More choice should be available, different juices, local honey and jam, crusty rolls etc.
After all this is no cheap or even moderate priced B and B.
The chef cooks wonderful meals but not everyone needs three courses every night.
I opted for a smaller meal, chose what I thought was one off the chalk board in the bar, only to find out these were starters for the restaurant meals. People on the next table were served a bar meal, which is what I would have prefered. I asked why I hadnt been shown the 'Bar menu'. The owner said , '' Well you will know for next time, wont you''.
There was no next time, as I ate in the Magpie fish restaurant in Whitby the next evening. Very good it was, too.
This hotel is in an unenviable position on the cliff edge overlooking a beautiful bay. There is great potential to make this hotel a first class establishment. Sorry to say the present owners seem reluctant to upgrade the rooms and to give hospitality of a standard the price demands.
I hope someone with imagination and flair takes it over soon.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank mhhol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

We booked a room with countryside views, room was clean and bright but really no difference in quality to the many good b&b's we've stayed in over the years- so to be charged around £90 for the room seemed very over priced...

Runswick Bay is lovely but in terms of nightlife there is only one other pub and as this was deserted (in the middle of June on a Saturday night!) we chose to eat in the hotel restaurant- what a mistake! It seemed expensive - around £7 for a starter and £14 for a main but we went ahead and ordered...we both had scallaps for starters which were chewy and tastless and our mains- pork for me, steak for him- were over-cooked- the most incredible part of my meal was the mash potato which, I'm convinced was instant smash!!- the whole meal was around fifty pounds and a real let down. Oh and as mentioned by previous reviewers, the napkins are still paper!. Breakfast was much better however- we both very hungry from the night before!

And did I mention the gin and tonic ? around £4!!!

Overall a pleasant stay but overpriced......

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amandaclare
Jesmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2007

After reading the negative feedback for this hotel on your website we feel it only fair to give our opinion of our brief stay at this establishment. This was our first visit to Runswick Bay and although slightly expensive, we believe one gets what one pays for. The cost of our long weekend was reflected in the excellent room with balcony overlooking wonderful views of Runswick Bay. We found the facilities of the hotel to be spacious, tastefully decorated and all staff polite and more than happy to accomodate any of our requests. We found the food to be varied and of an extremely high standard, catering for both my tastes and that of my partner who preferes vegetarian cuisine. It was also refreshing to see a varied and extensive wine list, once again catering for all tastes. We would highly reccommend this establishment to anyone who seeks a relaxing and tranquil break from the normal 'run of the mill hotel'. We look forward to returning to the Cliffemout Hotel in the near future, and would like to thank everyone connected with this establishment for a wonderful relaxing break.

• Liked — Everything (Location/Room/Food/Atmosphere/Friendliness of staff & locals)
  • Disliked — Weather!!!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank salim-green
Yorkshire Dales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2007

I took my wife there for a 4 day break for her 75th birthday.
The hotel was a real disappointment after reading a very favourable report in a well regarded hotel guide, for 2005! Never again will I use an out of date guide.
I intended to send a review but on reading some of your reviews prior to June 2006 I wondered if it was us who were over critical. However, some more recent reviews are rather different and reviewers appear to have similar views to our's!
We had a super room with balcony and sea views, although the bathroom was a bit tatty, loo seat was loose etc.
However, we became suspicious at dinner which was poor, with paper napkins (tissues), and halibut which when I asked if it was locally caught I was assured it was, at Staithes. No fishing boats to be seen there !
When we complained at the paper tissues for napkins we were told the laundry did not come back until Friday, so sure enough proper napkins appeared at dinner on Friday but back to paper on Monday. We were told that Mr & Mrs Rae (who were away when we arrived) were considering buying some more but had not yet made a decision, but if and when they did decide, then it would be proper napkins every evening !
Breakfasts we moderate but dinners continued to be very poor value and some evenings an absolute disgrace,
We had no complaints with the staff who coped well in the absence of the proprietors. I was appalled at being charged 50p per minute for using the 'phone in our room only to be told by Mr Rae on paying our bill that we would have had to pay £1 /minute
at an hotel such as the London Hilton ! I pointed out that we were not staying at a Hilton but a very indifferent hotel in North Yorkshire. We stayed at 4 other hotels in 2006 none of which charged us for occasional modest use of hotel phones.
All in all a disaster, in such a wonderful part of North Yorkshire

• Liked — A very nice room with wonderful views
  • Tips/Secrets — The hotel must improve or it will go out of business
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank bobandbrenda
Malton, North Yorkshire.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2006

On november 17 we arrived at the Cliffemount Hotel in Stunning Runswick bay, having never visited this part of the east coast before. Having read previous reviews of this fine establishment, I can only assume that some people are extremely hard to please. Our 3 nights was a superb break in the most beautiful surroundings, with the most attentive staff going out of their way to please, from the housekeeping to the management. The tood was magnificent in its presentation and flavour.

I would reccomend the Cliffemount Hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Friendly welcoming atmosphere.
  • Disliked — There was nothing we did not enjoy.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try some of the local seafoods served in the resaurant.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mallinson1163
Leeds, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2006

It has been interesting reading the reviews of Cliffemount, like some others we have stayed there for a number of years, twice since the hotel changed hands. I fully accept prices have to increase from time to time but the new owners do seem to be trying to pitch it at a level that will turn its regular guests away. On our last stay there it was interesting to hear that they had just lost their chef, the owners were also openly saying to guests that they have given it 2 years to work.

We have always found the staff to be very helpful & have never had a problem. The hotel is in a great location.

We are giving serious thought to finding an alternative but in the Runswick area there is not much competition & maybe this is what the owners have realised

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ydnpa
Wakefield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2006

We have just returned from the Cliffemount having had a one night stop over with our daughter, my mother, grandmother and some friends who were on a two night break.

My wife and I have been staying at the hotel for around 8 years as Runswick Bay is very special to us. The hotel was established by its previous owner Ashley who sold the business to the current owners Mr & Mrs Rae in 2005.

Dealing with the positives first, it is fair to say that the food is better than it ever was with an excellent of seafood and meat dishes. As other reviewers have mentioned the Cliffemount's location is fantastic, overlooking the bay itself. Runswick is a great place to get away from it all and enjoy a pint or two and a stroll on the beach.

With regard to the rooms - there are generally traditional and basic but more than adequate. Our room this weekend overlooked the car park and was showing signs of tiredness with mixed colour towels most of which were frayed.

The new owners seem complacent and have shown few signs of any capital expenditure in their period of ownership - maybe this is planned?

The fundamental problem with this hotel is the attitude of the new owners and their clear lack of hospitality skils. I'm not sure whether we don't meet the Rae's ideal guest criteria but one thing is true - this is not a cheap hotel and paying guests should be treated in a better manner than our experience.

Our friends reported a faulty shower head which sprayed water across the bathroom when on - clearly a problem to guest and proprietor you would think. Seemingly Mr Rae was unable to resolve the matter and no alternative room was offered or apology of any kind.
Another example of "the little things that matter" - we had pre-dinner drinks last night and my wife ordered a house dry white wine which tasted anything but dry - I politely asked the waitress if it could be changed to which the reply was positive albeit at further cost - isn't the customer always right!? Later on at the meal a lemonade was ordered which was clearly flat - this was mentioned to the waitress who gave a sharp response explaining that the beverage was flat because it had been stood for 5 minutes and had ice added!! No sorry Sir/Madam, may I get you something else.
The Cliffemount has is a first class location and custom will be created from that alone - particularly as hotel accommodation in the bay is limited. Shame really - a bit of healthy competition would do the Rae's some good.

I could go on about other little niggling things with the place but you wish to draw your own views. We will be now looking for an alternative get away destination in that area which is a shame having spent many times at the Cliffemount over the years.
We will continue to visit the bay itself and can't recommend that enough.

Hopefully the Rae's will continue to make a mess of things and make way for a new owner in the not too distant future.

Stayed October 2006
7 Thank TeamBesters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,377 reviews
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!