“On the edge...”
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Cliffemount Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I'll start by explaining that I've been going to Runswick Bay for circa 20 years. It's a place that I hold dear to me. It's such a pity then that the Cliffemount Hotel despite having new ownership / management for over a year still delivers an experience akin to being wiped about the face with a piece of Whitby Haddock.

The previous owner was also aloof so It must be in the title deeds that the place has to be run by a snooty "school matron". I'd put my first experience of the new owners down to teething problems. I have to now come to the conclusion that the current "matron", Carol Rae, simply enjoys being snooty and stuck up.

We'd popped in for a drink in the afternoon as we were staying near by and had been reliably informed by the barmaid that we could reserve a table in the bar for dinner. When we arrived that evening we were told by Ms Rae (as she looked over her spectacles and down her nose at us) that they do not take bookings at the bar. Most welcoming - I think not! Strike one for poor comunication and management between her and her employees.

We decided to stick around and wait for a table and had the pleasure of hearing waitresses being criticised whilst in full view of customers. Someone else was also sacked over the phone. This was not pleasant to witness. Strike two for failing to keep management problems in the back room and for a terrible management style.

A gentleman with his young daughter enetered the bar and asked if the place served children's food. I have never encountered such a patronising reply..."we pride ourselves in the fact that we don't do scampi in a basket food here". This is not what the gentleman had asked for?! Ms Rae should not attempt to judge people by the beachwear that they dress in. I saw the man and his family drive off in a rather expensive vehicle. Strike three for being too judgemental.

If the food is what Ms Rae prides herself in then she must have a low self esteem. My starter failed to be served with the pear and grape chutney as described on the specials board and my halibut was over cooked. Strike four for simply average food at above average prices.

I had been thinking of staying at the Cliffemount again for our wedding anniversary this year. After the below average food, snooty management and a general all around unwelcoming experience (the waitresses were not very friendly either), I will be choosing somewhere else. Its a shame because the location of the place is ideal.

p.s. Terrible spelling on the specials / drinks boards!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank AP1234

Reviewed June 3, 2006

We had a good experience with this hotel. It is right on Runswick Bay and has its own car park iwth plenty of spaces. The views were great. Clean and very comfortable room. Good shower and breakfast. They also offered dinner which was very good. We would stay here again.

The only problem was finding it - however, once we were on the right road it was OK.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank hotelreviews06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#5 of 20 in Whitby
Grinkle Park Hotel
Grinkle Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Easington

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Cliffemount Hotel

Address: Bank Top Lane | Runswick Bay, Runswick TS13 5HU, England
Location: United Kingdom > England > Yorkshire > North Yorkshire > Runswick
Bar / Lounge Beach Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Price Range: $111 - $170 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Cliffemount Hotel 3*
Great views of Runswick Bay harbour with a large open garden and a sea view restaurant. Great value, quality and service offered to all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Cliffemount Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Cliffemount Hotel Runswick, England