“The Ultimate R&R hotel in North Yorks”
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Cliffemount Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Cliffemount Hotel is a 3-star, 20-bedroom boutique hotel punching well above its weight. From its unique vantage point overlooking Runswick Bay in North Yorks, it offers unparalleled views of the bay and surrounding countryside
We were unaware of its existence until an Amazon Local "sampler" offer popped up in my in-box. For the princely sum of £189.00 for two people, we got a premier room with sea view balcony with breakfast for two nights plus a five course “taster menu” dinner on the first night
We were allocated its Lingrow room with a wonderfully comfortable bed, super en-suite and good sized balcony overlooking the Bay. The food, showcasing the chef’s undoubted talents. was excellent and with a very reasonably priced wine menu, no wonder the restaurant was full of both staying guests and locals. This is a privately owned and run hotel and the owners certainly know what they are doing to attract repeat business. We cannot recommend it enough and will return even though we live near Chester.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken S

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just like to thank carol and Ian and all the staff for making Trevor 60th birthday one never to forget the food was absolutely fantastic has always and dog friendly. cant wait for new year eve for a fantastic 5 course meal and drinks and entertainment .barbara and Trevor

1  Thank Trevor P
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A two night stay here was not long enough. Stunning views from our room. Friendly and helpful staff. The food was outstanding. We had the taster menu the first night and Lobster the second night. Everything was cooked outstandingly well. Breakfast - well, the English breakfast was again cooked to perfection and the Whitby kippers were the best I have ever eaten. The chef is to be commended as are all the staff. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at the Cliffemount this week ( Aug 6 - 8) and it was really great - great room, great staff, great food, fantastic location - so why the 'but' ? For those of us who live and operate in the 21st century wifi (in the rooms ) is on a par with running water and multi channel TV. I rly on having wifi to plan my days, buy tickets, book restaurants etc etc and the Cliffemount really needs to get this sorted - unless of course they are totally happy to just go with those for whom this is not an issue ( The Royal, in Runswick, for instance has got it right. That said, the Cliffemount was faultless in every other respect.... Fresh, well prepared food and guests treated very well :-D thanks for a great stay - but please sort out the wifi.

Room Tip: Super premium - balcony & sea view - great
3  Thank Adrian H
hot55, Owner at Cliffemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments,but we do have wi-fi in all public areas and have plans to extend the range to all rooms very soon

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed 4 nights. Room 6 has NO SEAVIEW. It overlooks the car park, can get noisey, especially with the rooster cocka doodle dooing from 6 am. It is a family room, very clean, bit dated. Good sized bathroom, you can struggle to gain access to taps, the shower door on bath would not budge. Breakfast was waitress served, you had to ask for extra coffee and toast. Boiled eggs were cooked perfect. Other half had full English on final day, it was excellent. You were asked each morning if you were dining at the restaurant. While this made great business, when you are on a break you never know what the day will hold????? A little pushy I thought. We did eat here on one occasion, the views are stunning out of the restaurant, hubby had squid I had crab and prawns in a jar, both were tasty and well presented. Hubby then had haddock, I had whitby scampi. The chips were not good, the fish was nice, the meal with a bottle of wine and 2 coffee came to Approx 70.00. A little overpriced as said by other contributors. The staff were excellent, hard working, always there at some part of the day. Our 4 night stay with breakfast cost 480.00. We would return.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 16kimc16
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent my birthday weekend here with my partner and our dog and had the most fabulous time. We were all made to feel very welcome (including George our border terrier) - did feel a bit segregated at meal times though as we had to sit in the bar with the dog rather than in the restaurant. But, hey! It's such a rare treat finding a hotel of this standard that allows dogs to stay we could put up with that! We paid for a slightly more expensive room and had a ground floor double with its own balcony enjoying a spectacular view over the bay. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and the food was gorgeous. The hotel is a short walk from the beach and the Cleveland Way - wonderful 4 mile walk to Staithes and a local bus back. Brilliant! Definitely will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Kettleness as it was 'dog-friendly'
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked very last minute for a break with my mum and little boy. When I called the Hotel the lady (owner) reduced the price to £150 per night (instead of £160) for a double room (with no cot had to take my own) on the condition that we HAD to dine with them on one of the nights!! To be honest I didn't like being told where we were allowed to eat when its our holiday and thought it was pretty rude but I agreed anyway. On arrival the place looked nice with wonderful views of the sea from the room and the dining area however I felt like we were being watched the whole time and that if my toddler made a noise it was awkward so I spent a lot of the time outside so that we were not disturbing the peace! Funnily enough we dined here on both nights and the food was very good if a little over priced and quite small portions and I don't have a particularly big appetite. On the second night they were quite busy in the restraunt and we were seated in the bar area for the meal and I felt that it was to keep my little boy out of the main dining area not that there wasn't any room. I would have rather been told that children are not really welcome then feel uncomfortable the whole time in the way that we did for having a young child. Also there are no high chairs which made it awkward at breakfast and meal times. I would expect a bit more for £150 a night it seems the expensive price tag is due to the sea view and not much else I'm afraid. The two younger men that work there were very sweet and helpful also the women bar/restraunt staff but really not keen on the lady owner watching over us the whole time. Recommended for couples. Great views.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank info80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Guisborough
Bagdale Hall Hotel
Bagdale Hall Hotel
#5 of 19 in Whitby

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!