“Disappointing breakfast anniversay weekend ”

Cliffemount Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Runswick
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

we booked in after seeing this hotel on four in a bed.
the room was clean, spacious and lovely in fact the room and views were perfect.
our dog Harley was made to feel very welcome too. very friendly staff. however there was no ice in the bar on both the 21st and 22nd (our anniversary) the breakfast was beyond horrendous. £4 extra for 2 people for the cooked breakfast (confused because this place advertises break fast included) bteakfast was not taken by order (like on the show) was a buffet style with tomatoes out a tin (not grilled) the sausages were cheap and inedible honestly the worst I have ever eaten (I had 2 bites and left them)! no mushrooms and soggy hash browns. there were no eggs on offer at the buffett, when we asked we were told we can order a fried egg but it will take some time or there are boiled eggs at the buffet... a far cry from the salmon eggs etc we saw on the show! and disappointing when you want something special celebrating your anniversary. we have travelled to 31 countries we often travel for business and this was the top 5 worst breakfasts we have had the misfortune of experiencing.
the continental was terrible too, nothing fresh and commercial pre bought croissants in packets

it's a shame because this place has some strong positives and great potential. we will come back for the views and friendly staff but eat somewhere else sadly. we did tell the lady at reception on check out that they need to improve on the break fast and when you go on a show you should do what you offer guests normally not make a special effort I.e flowers in the room etc we did not have flowers in our room.

it's a tired 3 star but with standards improved and the location they can aim/ aspire for more

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (104)

Reviewed June 28, 2019 via mobile

We were staying in the vicinity and wanted dinner. They were short staffed but accommodated us sitting outside, as we had our dog with us. I had chicken and chips, it was served to us as it would be in the restaurant...but my oh my, I have never in my 55 years on this earth tasted chips like these they melted in your mouth!

Reviewed June 20, 2019

Stayed for one night, the food was excellent and the accommodation was superb. Very clean and comfortable. Lovely views over the Bay. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed June 11, 2019

We didn't stay in the hotel however ate in the Bay restaurant and we can definitely recommend. Pre drinks in a cosy bar , served by very friendly and helpful bar man.The food and service was topnotch, with a good choice.My wife chose steak for her main and I had the sea bass , both were excellent .We were really glad to have chosen this venue to eat. We had a table by the window and the views over the bay are stunning. Afterwards we went back in the bar for a night cap.Really enjoyed the whole experience . A lovely evening and quality time with my equally lovely wife! The restaurant is attached to the hotel on the cliff top, therefore commanding brilliant views. We are planning our return already !.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed June 6, 2019 via mobile

We had driven past Cliffemount on a number of occasions but on a sunny June evening we dropped in for a drink and a meal - the view over the bay from the outside tables is superb - and the meal was well presented and freshly prepared