“Expensive and nothing special”

Hostellerie du Mont-Aime
Telford, United Kingdom
“Expensive and nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a stopover on our way back from the south. I just happens to be the right distance to break our journey but as we don't drink alcohol the Champagne area is pretty hopeless. We do love the Mont Aime viewpoint and as photographers love to return this hill whenever we pass by. But we will not stop here again. I asked for easy access and a shower for mobility problems and on arrival was shown to a first floor room with a bath! There is a lift but it is still a long trail from reception. The receptionist agreed to find me another room while we parked the car. As the car was full of luggage we didn't want to use the public car park at the side so had to find our way to the edge of the village and then wend our way through to the rear car park. She had found us a ground floor room right by the back door which was a big improvement until we found that the shower was broken and you had to hold the head! The menu gourmand was excellent for me but as my husband is dairy intolerant it was very ordinary for him as everything was served without sauce! This is the first time in over 10 years that chef has been unable to provide a different sauce for my husband! Not impressive in a quality hotel, a much cheaper restaurant the previous night had no problem providing an alternative. But we felt it was the waitress rather than the chef that was the problem, she just wouldn't be told to ask chef just repeated that it would be sans sauce! Another waitress then turns up with a bon mouche which was full of cream! She did take it away when asked and returned eventually with an alternative. But the overall experience is not one we will repeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank photolass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Middlewich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

It was our first stop over on our way to Italy (from Manchester). The sat nav was telling us that we were approaching, but I could not imagine where the hotel could be ! And there is was, behind the church ! it was surprisingly busy. But don't expect to do anything as it is in the middle of nowhere
The lady at reception showed us to our room.
The room (standard) was nicely decorated, with a large italian shower
The breakfast was also very good (continental and savoury)
Dinner : gourmet menu - it was excellent (the combination between fruits and aromatic herbs was fantastic) with a high quality service
The car park and the indoor swimming pool are at the back of the hotel (but on arrival, just park your car in the small public car park at the side)
Don't forget that it is a "hostellerie", so very traditional ! it is not everybody cup of tea

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katia_bensonuk
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend at this hotel recently and had a lovely time. We took the discovery package which was quite expensive but the food was absolutely superb. Our room was on the ground floor and had a small terrace opposite the pool. It was spacious and clean, with tea/coffee stuff and a mini bar ( which we chilled our recently bought champagne in!). Included in the package is a visit and tasting at LANOIS champagne house. The visit is interesting but it's all in french which is hard work , if like me your French was learnt at school some while ago. The tasting however made up for this and the champagne was plentiful at this point.
The gastronomic meal was great as was all the food, and breakfast had a good choice and good coffee.
The pool is covered which was good as when we were there the weather wasn't good, and it's surrounded by a small grassy area where you can sit out.
The village where the hotel is has very little to offer, and unless you have come to sample the champagne there isn't much in the area.We did however go to taste, and buy champagne, and my comment would be to stay away from the big champagne houses and try the smaller more local producers. We met some lovely people and bought good champagne from them at a considerably cheaper price.
Whatever you do, this hotel has good accomodation, friendly staff, and excellent food even if the price is a little above average.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skial
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Surprisingly large and busy hotel in an totally bland and boring part of France. ( That is apart from growing grapes for Champange!) The variation of flowers, paintings, wallpaper and ornaments is bewildering but intertaining,
The room we had was clean and airy, having a mini balcony overlooking the garden, carpark and other rooms/balconys. Far away a view of a range of wineyards. Fridge with soft drinks, coffee making tray, towling robe for the gym/swiming pool and free internet. Beds were fine, pillows of the teddy bear stuffing stuff variety.
Restaurant food is good, but fairly expensive, the wine list is a huge book, the cheese trolly a dream. One complaint is the over eagerness to be special and the permanently milling around the room of the serving staff. Quite distracting. It would greatly inhance the good food to alocate 2/3 tables to one waiter. Not all of them trying to be the one to remove something from your table. Maybe for that purpose they keep the wine seperate? I like it at hand on the table, so I can serve myself if and when I want.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MumofHarvey
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Went here for dinner on a trip to Champagne last week. It is really a classic posh french restaurant which for me, all too often, means high prices, average service and mediocre food.
Good points - it has a great wine list. We had a bottle of Doyard Blanc de Blancs and a 2005 Fugue de Nenin, the second wine from Ch. Nenin. Both were superb.

Bad points - it would have been nice if the champagne flutes weren't chipped and I had to call the waitress over to ask the sommelier to refill our glasses. Why he couldn't have left the bottle on the table is beyond me!
The food was good but not historic, we had the menu at 44euros which included Cote du boeuf, which I asked for, 'a point'. It was overcooked and the potato Dauphinoise was cold. In all it cost us 200 euros which is a lot of money.
My summary is it is ok but no more. Expectations are bound to be high when you spend 200 euros and it simply didn't deliver.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JonnyR67
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

This was the first hotel we stayed at out of Paris as part of our three-week group tour around France and it seemed quite out of the way from anything, apart from the champagne houses.
When our driver drew up outside it looked like a tiny two-storey hotel but once inside it went on and on and opened out like the Tardis!
Most of our group stayed in the motel-like addition at the back of the property (a chilly night-air walk back after dinner) in long, plainly furnished rooms which had the flurorescent lighting I dislike so much. I remember thinking that I wasn't particularly impressed but then I went to dinner. Oh boy! Five course and every single one was amazing....Of all the hotels we stayed at, this had the best breakfast facilities for sure.
It was here that I learnt my first lesson of travelling - ALWAYS have a label on your suitcase as it took ages for my case to be delivered even after I described the bag, and even more so with such a long way from the bus to our room.
It was also the only hotel that we were given a double and a single bed for me and my mother.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
nearby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Located in a quiet village close to the Mont-Aimé (a shallow hill) and the Côte des Blancs, not far from Epernay, it has large rooms, a restaurant, a swimming pool and a Champagne bar. Well, what else do you need then? First of all the rooms are a little passé and so is the whole hotel. The decor is rather kitsch (try to ignore the statues if you can). The indoor swimming pool, not extremely big, is also a little worn-out and it's deep only on one half, good for the kids but maybe not for you. The restaurant is a little pricey, mainly because of the inconsistent food quality and service level. You've got to be lucky. The Champagne bar is alright, enough choice both from big brands and small local producers. There's free Wi-Fi and a decent breakfast (not included in the room rate), whoopee! Not enough to make it a very good 4* hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank waggadouggou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bergeres-les-Vertus
Chateau D'Etoges
#2 of 14 in Epernay
Hotel D'angleterre
Hotel D'angleterre
#2 of 17 in Chalons-en-Champagne

Been to Hostellerie du Mont-Aime? Share your experiences!