L'Aubiniere
Cancelon
$168
$156
Official Site
L'Auberge de la Ramberge(Poce-sur-Cisse)
Bellevue(Amboise)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsswimming poolfoie grasmodern hotelloire valleyyogurtbreadspajacuzzigarden
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I had a real shock when after we had booked this Hotel online (and supposedly for a deal! It still cost more than 100Euros!) during Easter break (all the other Hotels in nearby Amboise were packed), we drive out of Amboise to find out first of all it is in the middle of nowhere....the small village it is in is nothing to shout about (although the patisserie was cute and had good croissants). And the worst thing was, it was completely under renovation! Now, me being pregnant and all and this being probably the last vacation before the baby came along, we weren't at all amused when the owner cooly told us not to worry, the construction would stop at 5pm! We checked in at 3pm after a long drive from Zurich, Switzerland. I was not amused! There was no one else there! And the pictures they have put up at their website is very decieving. I would not pay more than even 70 Euros for this place! We eventually found a better Hotel in Amboise that cost less and was smack in the historical part of town. The main issue is that the owners were not ethical and put up their hotel for rent despite it being under complete renovation save the 2-3 rooms that were for rent! Not fair to people who are spending their hard earned money on a well deserved vacation!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank febe
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I have eaten at l'Aubiniere several times in recent years whilst on holiday and every time I have been pleased with the quality of the food, the service and cost. L'Aubiniere is a very good restaurant that has not failed to please and whilst it is possible to find higher standards of cuisine in this area of France, it strikes a good balance between quality and cost. Yes it is in a very small village but that is part of its charm and I recommend people understand this before they decide to criticise l'Aubiniere for its location.

The terraced dining area is a welcome feature on warm evenings and whilst not having a particularly attractive outlook, being somewhat overwhelmed by large mature trees, the quality of the food more than compensates.

Despite other reviewer’s experiences, I have found the welcome from both hotel/restaurant owners and staff courteous and accommodating - speaking French in this area is a real help - and might go some way to explain difficulties registered by others.

Whilst not a 'stand out' place, l'Aubiniere is well worth a visit. I hope to stay in the hotel part of l'Aubiniere next year and, unlike some reviewers, I expect to pay for my breakfast - that is just the norm in French hotels which are not part of an international group and should not come as a surprise to anyone who wants to explore and learn of France.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We visited L'Aubiniere during a two-week bicycle trip along the Loire. We had stayed in Amboise while biking in 2010, so we decided to try Saint-Ouen-Les-Vignes this trip, mainly because of the reviews of the chef, Jacques Arrayet.

Upon arriving at the hotel late afternoon, we were coldly greeted by an attractive woman I later discovered was Odile Arrayet, owner of the hotel. While the website indicates that she invented the art of hospitality, I think that description must have been translated incorrectly, because she definitely did not make me feel welcome. I thought that maybe she had never greeted a guest traveling by bicycle before and left it at that.

Our room was lovely, spacious and bright, with a private entrance close to the pool. There was a large group of 8-10 people at L'Aubiniere the same evening as us. They were loud and several were verbally obnoxious, and they seemed to be in all of the public places for guests, the pool and the restaurant patio. The loudness of the group left the other guests wondering where the tranquil, calm and stress free Relais du Silence surroundings were.
The fact that these hotel guests were loud was not the fault of the hotel. But the hotel was responsible to its other guests to ask this group to tone it down. This never happened, and by dinner time and after several drinks, this group was out of control.

While the dinner itself was good, we actually rushed through dinner just to get back to our room where we could close the door and not hear their unending chatter.

Our room and dinner at L'Aubiniere was over 300 Euro, over $400 US dollars, the most expensive and the most disappointing of our trip. Definitely not what we expected, I would not go back, and I would not recommend it to any of my readers.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maggielacoste
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I was a little disapointed by this hotel overall. We stayed here on the second night of a week tour around the Loire. At around £125 per night I was expecting something fairly good compared to the other hotels we stayed in for almost half the price.
The hotel is set in a very, very small village with no amenities - not even a boulangerie but it is only a couple of miles from Amboise.
There are 6 rooms in total in a seperate wing with a large restaurant at the back of the house. Our room was large but lacked charm. It should have been lovely but seemed to be decorated quite out of date. There was a nice liveing room area but strangly the wardrobe was in this part of the room and not near the bedroom. Another dispointment was that there was just a hand held shower over the bath.
We ate in the restaurant that evening and had a very good meal - it was fantastic. It did though all seem rather too formal and old fashioned for a small hotel's restaurant. The service and the food was great though.
It would have been nice to have had a lounge area and/or bar for guests to relax in before/after their meal as there is nothing else in the town. There is an area before the restaurant but it does feel more like a waiting room.

I was quite shocked to discover that breakfast was charged in addition to the room. really? I do think they could have included a continental breakfast in the cost of the room seeing as it was over £100 per night. One other strange thing was that while we were ordering our desert that night they asked if we wanted tea or coffee with our breakfast in the morning! They didn;t even ask if we were having breakfast even, but why would you need to know if people were having tea or coffee - very strange.

I can see that this hotel and the spot it is in would be fabulous in the summer but in the mid of Autumn it is pretty charmless and I wish we had stayed in Amboise so had access to more amenities on our door step.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charliet
Reviewed July 6, 2011

There were no amenities for hotel guests in June when we visited. Pool was still closed. No areas to sit outside as entirely reserved for restaurant. Room was large but only had one window overlooking drive way. Although a Relais du Silence, room was noisy with restaurant customers coming and going. Only a hand shower in bathroom. Water was leaking into our room from another room.

Room Tip: Room not facing parking lot
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family