“An experience of a lifetime!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Moulin Bregeon

Le Moulin Bregeon
Santa Clarita, California
“An experience of a lifetime!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

The accommodation is unbelievably wonderful, charming and comfortable. The surroundings quiet, peaceful and quaint. Excellent personalized service from the staff. Dinner, wine, cheese and dessert every night surpassed our expectations. The yummy pear tart we had for dessert was picked from the Mill's yard. The butter lettuce for salad was sooo fresh I just had to have 3 servings. The Chef ( Elissa) was kind enough to share some tips on how to prepare the superb dinners we had each night. Bernard and Etsuko graciously showed us around Saumur and the nearby towns. We felt privileged to have spent a day with the owner- Jonathan Robinson driving around the valley with a stop at his studio at the end of the day. Thanks to Adam for showing us different wineries. Not only does he know his wine, his knowledge of architecture was truly enjoyable. Whether you're planning on a 3 day trip, a honeymoon or an extended vacation, The Mill or Le Moulin Bregeon is one place you have to go and experience. Not enough words can explain the fabulous vacation all five of us ladies had at The Mill!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank dukendaisy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

I returned again to the wonderful mill, this time with my two teenage children. We all just loved the beautifully restored buildings, the wonderful cooking, and the most friendly people you can ever dream to meet. We can highly recommend the mill to anyone who wants a change from the standard resorts and wants to get a feeling for the true life in France. An altogether wonderful and unforgettable experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank thehork
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

When we arrived we couldn't believe the beauty of the place. We were greeted by two adorable puppies and their mother. We felt completely at home. Bernard showed us to our very large and divine room. The bathroom was totally gorgeous and the bed was the best I have ever slept on. Wish I could bring it home. We had dinner one night there and it was exquisite from beginning to end. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LAXbuzz
Redondo Beach, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Le Moulin Bregeon in January and had a wonderful time. It is in the countryside away from other tourists and traffic yet close enough to a town if you want restaurants, antique shopping, museums etc. The hotel its self is a converted 11th century mill house and great care was taken to maintain the authentic old world charm. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, appointed with antique furniture and luxurious linens. The hotel sits in the middle of idyllic green fields with a gently babbling brook perfect for a relaxing walk. The staff was so warm and welcoming and very helpful. They prepared amazing farm fresh food for us and paired it with delicious local wines. We went on a winery tour and toured the local chateau. One of the highlights was that we took a cooking class with the chef and learned to make a traditional French meal and dessert . This is the place for you if you want to relax and enjoy good food and wine.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ksasao
Midcoast Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

My daughter arranged this "surprise" vacation for me for my 70th birthday - I had no idea where this was or what she had planned for me. I was able to invite a long time friend. What a surprise it was - absolute Heaven in the middle of the Loire valley. It was as if you were coming home to stay with three members of your family who really cared about you. The ambience of the inn and surroundings are absolutely charming - every detail of the restoration is a compliment to the creative skills, passion and patience of the owners. Life here is relaxing, though you can have a dizzying schedule if you wish as there are numerous historical sights and experiences to be enjoyed in this Valley of the Kings - all on your doorstep. What makes the difference at Moulin Bregeon is the informal, quiet warmth of the owners and the excellent food and wine they prepare - waiting for you when you get "home".
Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MaineBrit
Palm Springs CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2009

I am a travel agent and have extremely high standards for the places to which I will send my clients. I first went to the mill by myself in 2004 and was completely overwhelmed by the experience. Not only was I treated like family, but you almost feel that you have the mill all to yourself and the stafff just appears whenever you need something. And you soon begin to regard them not as "staff" but as wonderful, interesting ,warm and highly-educated friends who are there to show you the country of which they are so proud.
I began escorting small groups of my friends to the mill in 2005 and have been back three years consecutively.
The mill, which has been painstakingly restored to its original and intended architectural integrity, is both appropriately primative and incredibly chic. But the word that most comes to mind is "loving authenticity" right down to the original lightswitches. Jonathan Robinson, the owner and resident artist, is passionate about authentic restoration and it shows in every object of art that is placed in the mill. The beds are heavenly down beds into which you sink each night with the windows wide open and the sound of a rushing stream flowing under the mill.
The food and the ambiance at each meal can only be described as "what a dining experience" was meant to be. Pascal, the resident chef, and Bernard (the innkeeper and jack-of-all trades) slave in the kitchen all day while you are out signtseeing, to prepare meals of the cailber that you would expect in any of the finest restaurants in Europe And yet, we often came to the table dressed very casually (even barefoot!) because there was no pretense about the mill - only an opportunity to totally unwind, let down your guard, and be transported into an almost "fantasy" world.
Every day was a unique experience of sightseeing in the French countryside visiting the great Chateaux of the Loire Valley or wandering through small villages that were overflowing with charm.
I have since taken 3 additional groups to the mill and everyone always leaves saying that it was the most enjoyable and unusual vacation they have ever experienced. And it makes me look incredibly good as a travel agent to have been able to lead them to an experience that they will never forget.
If you want a truely unique experience that will delight all of your senses, go experiece this magical place.

I

• Liked — The uniqueness and wuality of the overall experience -
  • Disliked — It is a bit hard to get to - but once you are there, it is magical
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank AddictedToTravel_9
  • 5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2016
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

I was looking for a cooking class in the Loire region when I accidently stumbled upon Le Moulin Bregeon. Set amidst rolling green hills, grazing cows and a historical village, Le Moulin Bregeon is truly a special place from which to explore the Loire Valley and french culture and cuisine. A 15th century mill, it was restored by Johnathan Robinson (an artist from California) into a luxury full service Inn. I stayed there recently with 2 other friends. We were met by 3 warm men who immediately made us feel like part of the family (the other 2 men who run the Inn are French and Johnathan has lived in France for over 15 years). The food was exquisite! Sitting in a grand dining room debating politics, art, and travels we dinned like kings (my favorite was the duck confit which was salted and prepared over several weeks). The highlight of the stay was definitely the cooking / baking class we took the next day. Bernard shared with us his grandmother's pastry recipes and Pascal patiently taught us the tricks to making gourmet french dishes. We all came away inspired. The Inn is about a 40 minute drive from popular chateau such as Villandry and is 10 mins from the town of Samur (which is very charming and has wonderful vineyards at its door step. We particularly enjoyed the wines from Chateau Villeneuve). Johnathan even gave us a personal tour of the nearby village and a peak into his art studio. This is more than just a place to stay - it is an experience. I would highly recommend Le Moulin Bregeon. It is worth every penny!

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank TBock08

Been to Le Moulin Bregeon? Share your experiences!