If you are looking for that dream 'Africa experience' I would recommend staying elsewhere. This hotel is functional, and the staff are polite and friendly, BUT (as others have said), it is quite dated, and getting a bit shabby.
There is no hot water in the showers in the morning (I think the hot water is heated by the sun, so better to have your shower in the evening).
There are cats EVERYWHERE (this seems to be a problem across Zanzibar though).
The pool is closed for maintenance until November 2013, and there are no beach services (such as sun loungers, or beach bars) nearby.
The rooms are cleaned every day, but because the bathrooms are quite old, and the taps rusty, tiles cracked etc, they just have a dirty look about them.
The complimentary coffee in the rooms is that pre-mixed coffee/creamer/sugar mix (which is sad considering the region is famous for its coffee production).
The food was average. There is only internet access in the bar/lobby area (despite the apparent availability of several wifi networks associated with the hotel)
The staff were friendly, the bed was firm and comfortable, and it was pretty quiet when you needed to sleep, and these are the reasons I am giving a rating of 3/5.
I would seriously recommend that the owner(s) invest some money in bringing this hotel up to a standard that would make someone want to come back here on holiday, rather than being thankful that they were only here for a few days on business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zanzibar Beach Resort, located only 5 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the famous Stone Town. 4-Star, 72 en-suite rooms, 2 unique restaurants, 2 bars including a pool bar, 8 conference & banquet halls Having one of Zanzibar's Largest Pools, Gym, Spa, Corporate Meeting Facilities, Laundry, Shisha Lounge, Weekend & Festive Poolside Entertainment, Menu Variety from Continental-Indian-Swahili-Arabic Cuisines... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Zanzibar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zanzibar Beach Hotel Mazizini
- Zanzibar Beach Resort Zanzibar Island/Mazizini