Cartwright Hotel
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat barnbletchley parktravelzoo offerwarwick castlemain buildingchristmas breakboth nightsan excellent mealthe hotel managerapricot roommain courseold coaching innfamily weddingan evening mealroom was largesunday lunchcouple of nights
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I felt that the AA must have visited on a very good day to give 3 stars to this hotel. The best part of our night's stay was a sandwich lunch - the roast beef was lovely and the chips with it were lovely. The same could not be said of the dark bedroom! We arrived to find half the lamps out, which were replaced on request - however this didn't help us much as there was no natural daylight. The shower leaked all over the floor as there was no curtain or screen.

The bed creaked and the mattress was soft. It was too heavy to push back against the wall so as there was a 6" gap at the top our pillows fell down the gap!

Breakfast was exceptionally average. Staff did their best and were friendly.

They clearly trade off their position bang opposite Aynho Park where we were celebrating at a wedding. It was very convenient to stay so near. I can think of no other reason to stay there - despite the attractive building.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny K
Nigeloddy, Owner at Cartwright Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Interesting that the last two "not so positive" reviews are both from guests staying Saturday only for a local wedding. We have to charge rack rate for the room as we are unable to sell the Friday to guests looking for a weekend break - this can cause resentment with our wedding guest who by definition see very little of us whilst being entertained at the wedding. We recommend our wedding guests to also stay on the Friday when we offer a super-value Dinner, Bed & Breakfast rate. This enables guests to party together the night before the wedding and enjoy to the full our food and hospitality, and begin the wedding day in a relaxed frame of mind. Regarding the rooms - the Cartwright is a Grade 11 listed building and all rooms have been recently refurbished to a high standard but with some restrictions on windows etc laid down by the Conservation Officer.

Please take a look at our Special Two Night Break packages which include free tickets to local attractions such as Blenheim Palace - we would be delighted to welcome you back

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed overnight because of an (amazing) wedding opposite at the Aynho Hall. Sadly Cartwright Hotel is a disappointment - rather how English hotels used to be before they improved. Nothing quite worked. Missing light in bedroom. Spacious room but very dull. No Wifi anywhere. When I enquired if lunch was served outside I was told that yes there was a nice terrace - one table in the car park. Very ordinary breakfast. Very ordinary service. But not cheap. What a shame.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Nigeloddy, Owner at Cartwright Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback - sorry we couldn't meet your requirements this time. Please give us another try, perhaps one of our super-value two night breaks, which include two nights D,B&B and free tickets to Blenheim P alace or other local attractions for only £65pppn. I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Four of us visited for an Evening meal on a Travelzoo deal, which was excellent value, but to be honest the food is not badly priced for the quality. We all had the Tornedo Rossini for our main - WOW one of the best I've had and at a normal price of £19 great value. The staff were really friendly and made us feel very welcome, we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2014

As a relative local to this place I can only say that it continues to be a real disappointment on a number of levels, The service is pretty bad, other than a nice young guy behind the bar who is wasted here, the staff seem miserable and unfriendly.

The really sad thing is that what could be a busy local pub and hotel with a contemporary feel... is instead a sterile, badly decorated airport lounge type affair with bright lights and a big TV..... very 90's there is nothing that will put you off a pub more than one guy watching the football on loud!!! . I gather the food is quite good, but I cant bring myself to eat in there as it seems so impersonal and corporate. plus there are too many better options with more reasonable prices.

I get that they have a target audience for the hotel in weddings and conferences and travelling salesman, but I cannot for the life of me understand why they do everything in their power to alienate what are now affluent and respectable locals spending a small fortune in their competition. why not actually utilise the bar area, it is empty most evenings!!!!

with better lighting, seating, decor and staff the place could be a heaving bar every weekend, if it were anything like the Great Western, the Unicorn Inn, or the pickled Ploughman they would I believe have a guaranteed huge increase in revenue as people would come and eat as well as drink. please try and engage the locals!! quiz nights.... drink offers if you ask them they will come!!! such a shame! also you don't allow dogs in the BAR!!!!! YOUR IN THE COUNTRY and if they mess up your lovely fake wooden floors it might add a shred of character.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Nigeloddy, Owner at Cartwright Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

A little too scathing given you haven't eaten or stayed with us. Please give us a go - I'm sure you will find our food delicious and service friendly & efficient.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Booked a table for 4 last week and we all enjoyed the Market Lunch menu. £14 for two courses....but we indulged ourselves and went for the third course at an extra £4. Great choices, well cooked. As I rarely eat sweets I and a companion chose the individual cheese board. Very good with 4 different cheeses, lots of crackers and salad garnish, also came with a delicious apricot pickle. Excellent service and a 10% discount off all food if you join their free Restaurant club.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends