“Well Done Gary!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aynho
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Well Done Gary!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed on a Sunday night. I think the hotel was slightly understaffed for the volume of customers. Nevertheless, Gary, particularly, did stirling work and is quite clearly a natural at the hospitality business. We were agreeably surprised - given it was Sunday evening at the standard of the food - which was very good indeed. Breakfast, not quite so. The hotel is good, but the carpets show dirt and/or high volume usage and need to be replaced or seriously cleaned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed at the Cartwright hotel for two nights recently. My room was a double in the courtyard. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean, with a shower room with excellent shower. Breakfast was lovely, and the food in the restaurant in the evening was extremely good. I share the opinion of many other reviewers concerning the staff. They are efficient, friendly and welcoming, and appear willing to help in any way they can. Consequently, the atmosphere at the Cartwright is the best of any hotel I have stayed in. Well done to you all. I would return without question, and would recommend it to anyone. Aynho is a lovely village, and while I didn't visit any local attractions, I believe the hotel is well situated if you wish to do so.

Room Tip: While the room I had was very good, there was some noise early in the morning, from, I assume the de...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Last visited here for a meal last December. We were so impressed with the food we vowed to return in the future and stay in the hotel for a leisurely weekend - hence this new review. Revisiting places can be disappointing but not in this case. The meals we had for our two night stay were again excellent and like others we too raved about the Indian spiced mussels although the rump of lamb wasn't far behind. The room we stayed in was in a courtyard which also was the car parking area. I was concerned when I saw this but to be fair we were never inconvenienced by noise even when there was a wedding reception being held. Inside the room was spacious, clean, and included a small seating area. Like others I would also praise the friendly staff who showed an interest in how we were enjoying our stay. Excellent value for money and we are now considering visiting for longer next year and enjoy some of the well documented walks in the area- we will probably need to in order to work off their excellent meals!

Room Tip: All the rooms in courtyard area seemed fine although reading other reviews there appears to be some...
1 Thank chelms4dian
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Hi ,My partner and i decided to flee for a romantic weekend ,after escaping the hotel we had already booked and payed for (the lismore, it stunk of curry throughout] so we were recommended the cartwright hotel .they sqeezed us in at short notice with a smile.Nothing was to much bother .the receptionist was kind ,polite and extremly helpfull.we were given a courtyard room which was very clean with everything you could possible need or want ,the receptionist assured us that anything we needed just ask .we needed an iron and ironind board and she delivered it to our room at no extra charge.I have allergies so after a lovely chat with the head chef [Stuart Turvy] i felt so relaxed and assured that i could for once sit down to dinner and enjoy my food without stressing.He went through the menu with me and i chose all three courses with him so that i wouldnt be ill.he didnt make me feel like i was being difficult or a pain like most chefs ,he made me feel at ease.He even asked me what i wanted for breakfast the next morning and put it aside in the fridge for me.The food was of a very high standerd and a pure delight to taste.the resturant staff were very attentive to our needs and were very friendly.They were so friendly that when it came to dessert ,i called over who i thing was the manergeress and she sat at our table while i bargined with her for 4 small taster desserts on one plate to share with my partner and asked if we could take it to our room it was all done in fun between her and myself.we were made to feel so welcome we didnt want to leave.everyone there was cheerfull and chatty ,they made you feel like part of one big family.and the atmosphere was always relaxed .this hotel is great for eveyone of any age from infants to pensioners as theres always someone on hand for help or a chat loved it cant wait to return .thank you to all at the cartwright .see yous all soon.x

Room Tip: If you smoke as for a courtyard room then you have ur own door to the outside .if u have a crying ba...
England
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at the Cartwright in a superior courtyard room, booked at last minute. Huge bed, best breakfasts we've ever had, absolutely delightful staff. We ate in the restaurant on two of the nights and the food was excellent. A quiet village, but lots of attractions nearby. We would recommend to anyone.

County Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed mid-week on an a la carte basis and found it represented good value for money. Although on a quite busy through road there was no disturbance during the night even though our room was at the front of the hotel.
The staff were very efficient & friendly, the food was to a very good standard and the room was clean and well presented. All in all a very good stay.

Room Tip: Superior Room 8 has an additional seating area with setee and chair, and additional tv.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just had a perfect weekend at the Cartwright Hotel. Booked 4 rooms for family party of seven. Three were in the courtyard area and one was above the bar.All rooms varied in size, my daughter's for instance being larger with a chair and beams in the ceiling. All had excellent bathrooms, sky tv , wi-fi and were clean and beds comfortable. The food was of a very good standard, the Indian twist on mussels was my favorite. Staff made you feel at home and went the extra mile. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aynho
Deddington Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorchester-on-Thames
Bignell Park Hotel
Bignell Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chesterton

Been to Cartwright Hotel? Share your experiences!