“My only regret is probably not being able to enjoy the Great Western Arms again?”
Review of Great Western Arms

Great Western Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Aynho
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I came on the Great Western Arms via the Oxford Canal in mid December, having being assured enroute that I'd not be disappointed if I tried it. Having an instinct for a good lead, I moored my boat close by and followed the hunch. I was not disappointed. In fact the visit was a delightful experience.

Ship's log Fri 13th Dec. 2013 says it as follows: "1600 moored up at Aynho Wharf. Dinner in Great Western Arms. Memorable."

An attached note expands. "Game Terrine _ real salad, nice toast, real butter" followed by "Pan-fried pheasant, excellent roast pots. sour cabbage, mashed broccolli, meaty sauce/gravy, pheasant" But that was not all that made the visit memorable. It was the staff! They were all working as a team, their smiles came from their eyes and they seemed to be hell-bent on looking after this weary traveller a long way from home and on a long gruelling journey.

The attention was muted, no rushing or hustling. They understood the tiny nuances indicated by crossed cutlery and I felt they were including me in their teamwork. Being so happy with the starter and main course I went through the menu to the other end, slowly and deiberately, taking over two hours because I felt totally comfortable and minded.

The Great Western Arms hit all the right buttons for this somewhat disorganised traveller. When I called for the bill, I did not care in any way what it was going to be. Writing this report exactly one later, I still don't care. For me, the GWA was one of the most delightful dining events I've enjoyed and when I don't care what the bill was, take it that this is the highest compliment I can pay a restaurant. Under no circumstances may you pass this gem on the Oxford Canal.

1  Thank WallToAll

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Excellent service preceded by a genuine warm welcome from members of staff. Food was well presented and very delicious. It really is a must visit venue for food.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

As four adults, we ordered fish and chips, steak and ale pie and 2 X scampi. The chips were undercooked, the pie was not a pie, but a bowl of stew with a small square of pre bought puff pastry lid. The vegetables (broccoli, cabbage and swede) had a squirt vinegarette on top - unusual? These dishes were £13 each, I expected very high quality, they felt like an £8 dish in a generic chain pub

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Visited here on the evening of New Year's Day.
Lovely atmosphere, outstanding service ... and the food was just incredible.
The only thing I would say though is that this is certainly not the place to go to if you are short of money.
This may just be me - but I have never in all my 30 years of adulthood, paid £35 for one three course meal and two drinks (excluding the tip .... which made it £40).
The food and service however oblige me to give five stars!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here recently when visiting relatives in the area. We arrived after dinner and did not order breakfast so this review is only concerning the accommodation and bar.

The good:

Lovely decor including some interesting old maps and various pieces of railways memorabilia. 40 shilling fines for straying onto a railway line seems to have been a common threat according to the signs on the wall.
Friendly staff
Old Rosie on tap
Good selection of whickeys including Old Pulteney
Proper mulled wine
Board games
Well decorated room, nice to see a coordinated room at this price point
Milk and orange juice in a fridge in the room. Much nicer than the UHT things in alot of hotels these days. The small packets of cereals thrown in were a nice touch,
Good quality shower gel/shampoo

The bad:

Nothing, we paid £55. Quality of the stay was worth more like £70-£80. Some of the negative reviewers seem to have unrealistic expectations for the price they are paying. Looking forward to trying the food on a future visit.