“By far the best volunteer experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gravelotte
Askari Wilderness Conservation Programme
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My time at Askari was an amazing experience. Every day provided something new and exciting to do. Katie and Joe were an amazing team. Their passion towards conservation, the environment and animal welfare showed through their vast knowledge and time with me. While actively participating in their conservation programme, you will be able to see some of the most beautiful scenery and wildlife. I plan on coming back and would recommend this program to anyone that would like to experience (I think) one of the best wildlife reserves in South Africa.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The month I spent at Askari was one of the best life adventures I’ve experienced – it went above and beyond my expectations. The volunteer work we participated in was meaningful and I left feeling I truly contributed to the conservation efforts of the Pidwa reserve. Throughout the month, there was continuous learning through lectures and hands on demonstrations. The Askari leaders (Katie and Joe) were extremely knowledgeable always happy to answer our questions and worked very hard to make our time at Askari comfortable. They are genuinely passionate about their work. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending the Askari experience to anyone – it’s the best!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2012

"Askari is a unique and special place. the volunteer programme is well balanced, varied and above all enjoyable. I really felt that during my time here I was contributing to something worthwhile. Katie & Joe are clearly passionate about what they do and take the time to share their wealth of knowledge with you. Each and every animal sighting is different and special. I was fortunate enough to see pangolin, a lioness on a kill and many others, too numerous to mention. You are immediately made to feel welcome and Askari quickly became my Africa home away from home. Volunteering at Askari has definitely been a life-changing experience. I leave here with memories to treasure, great stories to share with friends and of course new found friends. Thanks to Katie & Joe for this amazing experience. Askari will be a hard act to follow."

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2012

"I have had so many amazing experiences at Askari from holding the paws of a cheetah to scrambling through the bush on the lookout for signs of hyaenas. I have learned so much about the wildlife of this wonderful place thanks to the extensive knowledge and enthusiasm of Katie & Joe. Returning back to the comfort of the Askari house and the promise of a delicious meal after a hard days work made my time here both satisfying and relaxing."

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had a great time, all aspects of the course were very enjoyable. I have previously been on a similar trip in south Africa but this one was amazing. very hands on with all aspects of game reserve life including experience with animals on the reserve and management of the area such as reducing alien plants and reducing erosion sites. There are many opportunities to see the wildlife on the reserve including lions, elephants and other species. Katie, Joe and all the staff are great fun and go out their way to make your time here special. I wished I had stayed longer and will definitely try to go back asap.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cwallington
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This has been almost like a life changing experience and I had an amazing time. The knowledge and friendliness from the staff makes you feel right at home and you will have the privilige to take part in tasks that you never had dreamt of (for example I had the opportunity to take part of dehorning of rhinos). Sometimes it is really hard work but you will learn a lot and get a great understanding of how much work it takes to run a reserve.
It is with sadness in my heart I leave this place and I just keep thinking – “When can I come back? Thank you for these amazing weeks

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My time at Askari was simply amazing. Joe and Katie are full of knowledge and more than happy to share it. The activities provided a great insight into what is required to run a game reserve. My time at Askari will be one that I will always remember. Thanks Joe and Katie

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Askari Wilderness Conservation Programme? Share your experiences!