“an incredible south african experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gravelotte
Askari Wilderness Conservation Programme
London, England, United Kingdom
“an incredible south african experience!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My two weeks flew by so quickly – the days were long but very eventful and fulfilling. The trip was really well organized and I got to do a wide variety of activities on the reserve and when we went out. During my time at Askari I was able to learn a lot about wildlife conservation, do practical work, enjoy the beautiful landscape and animals on the reserve. We had a great sleep out in the African bush and got close to plenty of animals over the 2 weeks. The staff was very kind and friendly, so was everyone else that participated – I had a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank emw92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2012

“It was an unforgettable experience to have seen first-hand how a wilderness reserve operates. I got a great understanding of how, with a combination of vegetation management and animal management, natural habitat can be maintained and so help in the preservation of endangered species. Having the opportunity to get hands on experience was great, particularly the animal capture. The removal of invasive plants e.g Lantana and tree protection were some of the other activities, it was hard work but rewarding. My ambition to see animals, particularly the elephant, rhino and lions in their natural habitat was fulfilled. Many thanks to the Askari team, especially Katie & Joe for providing a varied wilderness conservation programme. I would recommend it to students doing conservation and environmental studies. It will hold great memories for me and something to tell the grandchildren.”

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Greenland, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Unbelievable experience! Skills learned here can be transferred over into a future job in many fields. Some of the best memories I've had on a vacation! I'm so sad to leave and I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Anyone looking for a true African experience, look no further! I spent a month with Askari and the only thing I would do different if I could is extend my stay. The Askari program offers insightful knowledge of South African flora and fauna, great animal sightings, and conservation oriented work. This program is ideal for anyone who is fascinated by wildlife, enjoys the outdoors, and/or desires a better understanding of wilderness. The staff are friendly, the accommodations are beautiful and clean, the work is rewarding, and the animals are amazing. I highly recommend the Askari program and look forward to returning myself!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Midland, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at the Askari Reserve for two weeks while participating in the conservation programme. While there I got to see all the animals I was hoping for and so much more! You haven't truly seen a giraffe until you see one in it's natural habitat. We got to work everywhere within the Pidwa reserve and meet many of the workers who were very nice. While staying in the volunteer house it was a home away from home where the accomodations are five stars and you prepare your dinner and sit down each evening with your bosses as friends. It's hard work but when you're sleeping out under the stars and hears the impalas in the distance it makes it all worth your while at this incredible trip of a life time.

Room Tip: look forward to sharing bathrooms with adorable little frogs! Each room is fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I was amazed from the moment we stepped off the plane at the friendliness and thoughtfulness of the staff. The Askari team are great, there was never a question I asked that went unanswered. If I was curious they readily pointed me in the right direction. Bongani ,the maid, and Cedric, the gardener, were both friendly and a pleasure to have around. The programme they outline for us was fantastic,hard but very fulfilling. I would recommend it to anyone interested in conservation or helping animals. Truly a once in a lifetime experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, and the beds are so comfortable!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David B
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I just got back from a month with Askari. My time at there was absolutely amazing. It’s one thing to go on a safari and see African animals but this program gives you the unique experience of actually working to help run the reserve while enjoying the same sights (and many others). The volunteer house is lovely, the staff is so friendly and knowledgeable, the activities are a blast, the experience is unforgettable! You can read about my experience on my blog at http://goingplaces.blog.usf.edu/?tag=south-africa-summer-2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank awwwwwwberry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gravelotte
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge
#2 of 3 in Karongwe Private Game Reserve
Garonga Safari Camp
Garonga Safari Camp
#1 of 1 in Makalali Private Game Reserve

Been to Askari Wilderness Conservation Programme? Share your experiences!