All reviewsthe reservehard worklife changing experienceafrican bushamazing experiencetwo monthswonderful placemakes you feelstayed longerwild animalslearning experienceexciting thingsfeel at homefood chaina lot of funbeautiful settingcommunal atmosphere
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Unbelievable experience! Skills learned here can be transferred over into a future job in many fields. Some of the best memories I've had on a vacation! I'm so sad to leave and I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Anyone looking for a true African experience, look no further! I spent a month with Askari and the only thing I would do different if I could is extend my stay. The Askari program offers insightful knowledge of South African flora and fauna, great animal sightings, and conservation oriented work. This program is ideal for anyone who is fascinated by wildlife, enjoys the outdoors, and/or desires a better understanding of wilderness. The staff are friendly, the accommodations are beautiful and clean, the work is rewarding, and the animals are amazing. I highly recommend the Askari program and look forward to returning myself!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at the Askari Reserve for two weeks while participating in the conservation programme. While there I got to see all the animals I was hoping for and so much more! You haven't truly seen a giraffe until you see one in it's natural habitat. We got to work everywhere within the Pidwa reserve and meet many of the workers who were very nice. While staying in the volunteer house it was a home away from home where the accomodations are five stars and you prepare your dinner and sit down each evening with your bosses as friends. It's hard work but when you're sleeping out under the stars and hears the impalas in the distance it makes it all worth your while at this incredible trip of a life time.

Room Tip: look forward to sharing bathrooms with adorable little frogs! Each room is fantastic.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I was amazed from the moment we stepped off the plane at the friendliness and thoughtfulness of the staff. The Askari team are great, there was never a question I asked that went unanswered. If I was curious they readily pointed me in the right direction. Bongani ,the maid, and Cedric, the gardener, were both friendly and a pleasure to have around. The programme they outline for us was fantastic,hard but very fulfilling. I would recommend it to anyone interested in conservation or helping animals. Truly a once in a lifetime experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, and the beds are so comfortable!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David B
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I just got back from a month with Askari. My time at there was absolutely amazing. It’s one thing to go on a safari and see African animals but this program gives you the unique experience of actually working to help run the reserve while enjoying the same sights (and many others). The volunteer house is lovely, the staff is so friendly and knowledgeable, the activities are a blast, the experience is unforgettable! You can read about my experience on my blog at http://goingplaces.blog.usf.edu/?tag=south-africa-summer-2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo