All reviews the reserve hard work life changing experience african bush amazing experience two months wonderful place makes you feel stayed longer wild animals learning experience exciting things feel at home food chain a lot of fun beautiful setting communal atmosphere
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I spent over 3 weeks with the Askari team and volunteers exploring the wilderness through contributing to conservation projects and respectfully witnessing wildlife in their natural habitat. The knowledge and dedication of the staff ensure that you learn as you contribute and experience wonders Africa. Each day is filled with activities contributing to the overall health of the reserve and ensuring that the wildlife live in as natural habitat as possible. You can't go wrong with Askari! Book your trip now! I am looking forward to returning this next year at some point.

Room Tip: You have a choice of staying in a room with others or in a private room (if available). Both are very nice accommodations. The volunteer house is kept very clean. There is electricity and hot water.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank heatherafricalove
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My time here was even better than expected.
All the staff is really nice and helpful, and willing to make you have a good time. The activities are always useful and I’ve learnt how to conserve an area. It’s a great programme and the fact that we are able to stop and enjoy all the animals around us from the smallest spider to the huge elephants.
It’s fantastic because we are not only working but enjoying the wildlife of the place and the staff are always able to answer every question and explain you the features of the animals. I felt really comfortable here and I was able to learn and enjoy the beautiful place. As soon as it's posible, I will go back to spend another amazing month with them!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AnaHeredia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

"I stayed at Askari for four weeks and it was the best adventure I could have ever hoped for. Every day was different and we learnt so much about the bush and all its amazing wildlife. In our time here we helped to dart and release Nyala, took part in a mass capture of over 100 impala and build an aviary for Eddie the Eagle. We tracked the cheetah and saw them many times – once on a fresh kill. We learnt how to shoot a rifle and even had the chance to drive the game viewer down a ravine into the river! We saw rhino, lions, warthogs, eagles, snakes and were even lucky enough to see a pangolin. We fed the brown hyenas, we slept under the stars, we did everything we’d hoped for and more. The staff were amazing and made us feel like this was our home, they taught us so much and made sure we all had a great time. It has been a wonderful adventure and one that I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to experience the ‘real’ bush. Askari is a rare and special place."

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank burdekinr
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Just the best two weeks of my life!!
The reserve is beautiful, the staff is amazing , Joe and Katie are both lovely people and are very knowledgeable! You really feel like you are doing something useful!
Everything is great, from wildlife sighting to hands on work. I loved it so much that I plan on coming back as soon as I can!
Just amazing :)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Babs310
Reviewed April 8, 2011

If you are with your partner or on your own, Askari is the perfect place to go to experience African wildlife and conservation as it should be. The reserve is ethically run and truly is one of a kind in S.A.
The accomodation is spacious and comfortable, even for the most apprehensive of travellers, there is plenty of home comforts- that you will realise you don't need!!! I always dreamed of visiting South Africa, especially Kruger park, Askari is a well situated location to do just that,so if you feel the need to leave the reserve, which I doubt you would, then Kruger is a short journey in a hire car away (cheap trip)!!
I was at Askari for 4 months in 2010 and all I've wanted to do since is go back, so beware, it is contageous!
Enjoy, Matt x