All reviewsthe reservehard worklife changing experienceafrican bushamazing experiencetwo monthswonderful placemakes you feelstayed longerwild animalslearning experienceexciting thingsfeel at homefood chaina lot of funbeautiful settingcommunal atmosphere
Reviewed July 25, 2011

"I stayed at Askari for four weeks and it was the best adventure I could have ever hoped for. Every day was different and we learnt so much about the bush and all its amazing wildlife. In our time here we helped to dart and release Nyala, took part in a mass capture of over 100 impala and build an aviary for Eddie the Eagle. We tracked the cheetah and saw them many times – once on a fresh kill. We learnt how to shoot a rifle and even had the chance to drive the game viewer down a ravine into the river! We saw rhino, lions, warthogs, eagles, snakes and were even lucky enough to see a pangolin. We fed the brown hyenas, we slept under the stars, we did everything we’d hoped for and more. The staff were amazing and made us feel like this was our home, they taught us so much and made sure we all had a great time. It has been a wonderful adventure and one that I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to experience the ‘real’ bush. Askari is a rare and special place."

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank burdekinr
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Just the best two weeks of my life!!
The reserve is beautiful, the staff is amazing , Joe and Katie are both lovely people and are very knowledgeable! You really feel like you are doing something useful!
Everything is great, from wildlife sighting to hands on work. I loved it so much that I plan on coming back as soon as I can!
Just amazing :)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Babs310
Reviewed April 8, 2011

If you are with your partner or on your own, Askari is the perfect place to go to experience African wildlife and conservation as it should be. The reserve is ethically run and truly is one of a kind in S.A.
The accomodation is spacious and comfortable, even for the most apprehensive of travellers, there is plenty of home comforts- that you will realise you don't need!!! I always dreamed of visiting South Africa, especially Kruger park, Askari is a well situated location to do just that,so if you feel the need to leave the reserve, which I doubt you would, then Kruger is a short journey in a hire car away (cheap trip)!!
I was at Askari for 4 months in 2010 and all I've wanted to do since is go back, so beware, it is contageous!
Enjoy, Matt x

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hakunamatt
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I have seen a lot of people call it "Once in a liftime experience" and "dream come true" and was hestitating to call it that way as well, but it just simply is!!! There are no other words to describe this experience if you are interested in wilderness conservation. This experience is a unique opportunity to become one of the staff members and really do what they do. You won't spend your time just watching from the car as in many volunteer programs, but this progam is really hands on and will give you some of the most amazing animal experiences you will ever have. From a lion roaring with the full power of his throat just a few meters away from you, lion cubs playing and feeding on a zebra, to tracking cheetahs on foot and we had even the luck to experience a darting & relocation, to having hyenas circle you on a night sleep out and a big herd of elephants welcoming you in the middle and just doing what they do. The accomodation is really high standard for a "bush camp", the food is more than sufficient and good variety (you take turns in cooking), there is even cleaning staff to keep the house clean and do the laundry, and now there is also a proper internet connection available. The only thing I would say if you plan to do things on the weekend is to not forget your driving licence as the reserve is quite far out and it is a 1 hour drive on average to any of the small "towns" nearby. There is no other chance to leave the reserve without hiring your own car.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I spent 4 weeks at Askari and it wasn't long enough! Doing conservation in Africa had always been my dream and being at Askari was like living the dream. I could easily have stayed longer. Set on the amazing Pidwa wilderness reserve Askari WCP plays an integral role in the reserve maintenance. The accomadation is great as it the food which everyone takes it in turn to cook. Driving to and from different activities and just bumping into a hugh varity of wildlife is something very special. Having an elephant walk straight past the vehicle is an experience that cannot be matched! The staff are great, so knowledgeable and I learnt loads. They obviously love what they are doing and they're enthusiasm is infectious, even moths were exciting! They really make sure that you understand what you are doing and how it will have a positive effect on the reserve and its wildlife. I couldn't recommend Askari more highly, I had the most incrediable experiences there and will definitely go back if I get the opportunity!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo